GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'21 GTI Impressions, Hits, & Misses

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
6 year old oem ones worked better than china bosch for me. Fronts streaked and rear just fell apart in my hand.
I get it you don't like Bosch or things made in China. By the way what smartphone do you have?

SteveRedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Good summary of the intricacies of the car. It's not that complicated, yet after six months with my GTI, I'm still finding little things I didn't know about. After two months, I discovered I do have lumbar support lever, and a small pull-out compartment to the left of the wheel on the dash. After reading some posts about the upper/lower position of the trunk floor, I was puzzled. So after trying only 700 times to get the rear cargo cover stored above the spare tire, I realized what this lower cargo position was, by accident of course.

There are lots of older articles on the wipers, referencing Honda pushing for safety and wipers gouging pedestrians. I'm sure it's happened, just never heard of one. Interesting, a very high percentage of pedestrians killed by cars, are drunk at night. Most gravely injured by the hood and/or windshield. No real surprises there.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
As for the wiper position being oriented to protect pedestrians bouncing over the hood ( as silly as worrying about that sounds, after said pedestrian's legs were shattered by the front bumper ) what about when it is raining? You know, when decreased visibility and increased stopping distances increase the chance of a pedestrian getting his/her legs shattered by the front bumper, before being poked in the balls or vajayjay by the wiper arms. Not to mention the abrupt deceleration upon impacting the windshield, which is firm, to quite firm. And the piece de resistance: boinking your noggin on the little sharkfin nubbin on the roof!

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
Exterior airbags or perhaps something like this will be mandated by 2030. ;)

1631320646913.png

cb1111

6 year old oem ones worked better than china bosch for me. Fronts streaked and rear just fell apart in my hand.
Did you get the real Bosch or the counterfeit Bosch blades? I've had great luck with ICONs and I've never had a brand name blade "fall apart in my hand"

cb1111

As for the wiper position being oriented to protect pedestrians bouncing over the hood ( as silly as worrying about that sounds, after said pedestrian's legs were shattered by the front bumper ) what about when it is raining? You know, when decreased visibility and increased stopping distances increase the chance of a pedestrian getting his/her legs shattered by the front bumper, before being poked in the balls or vajayjay by the wiper arms. Not to mention the abrupt deceleration upon impacting the windshield, which is firm, to quite firm. And the piece de resistance: boinking your noggin on the little sharkfin nubbin on the roof!
I think you'd be surprised at how "soft" the front end of a car is these days. Go to a junk yark and look at what a crashed 1960's car looks like and compare it to a crashed late model car. Even a low speed (20mph) impact will demolish the front end and crumple the hood, while the 1960's car will look mostly intact.

There are two reasons for this. The built in crumple zones are to absorb energy and keep it away from the rigid passenger compartment and will help to lessen pedestrian injuries.

I've seen Vince and Larry hit my cars and survive. When I first saw the tests in the 90's the injuries were quite severe. Today, between the design and the technology (pedestrian detection/braking), pedestrians have a far better chance of surviving an accident.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Good summary of the intricacies of the car. It's not that complicated, yet after six months with my GTI, I'm still finding little things I didn't know about. After two months, I discovered I do have lumbar support lever, and a small pull-out compartment to the left of the wheel on the dash. After reading some posts about the upper/lower position of the trunk floor, I was puzzled. So after trying only 700 times to get the rear cargo cover stored above the spare tire, I realized what this lower cargo position was, by accident of course.

There are lots of older articles on the wipers, referencing Honda pushing for safety and wipers gouging pedestrians. I'm sure it's happened, just never heard of one. Interesting, a very high percentage of pedestrians killed by cars, are drunk at night. Most gravely injured by the hood and/or windshield. No real surprises there.

Only 700? Pics or it didn't happen LOL.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I've seen Vince and Larry hit my cars and survive. When I first saw the tests in the 90's the injuries were quite severe. Today, between the design and the technology (pedestrian detection/braking), pedestrians have a far better chance of surviving an accident.
As long as the number of pedestrians injured by cars remains higher than the number of automotive engineers injured by furious car owners, the trend line should hold up.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Dem headlights tho....

Last night I dropped my sister off up in one of those Ritz Cracker mansion type neighbourhoods, and as I was coming back down the windy road from the Rock Candy Mountain that gives residents that sense of separation from the filthy unwashed masses, I just noticed how far the lights swing left and right, and how far and wide the cornering lights actually cast useful illumination around.

Superb. Equipment like that is way above this car's pay grade.
It's sad that good headlight technology exists, but automakers continue to treat them as profit centers rather than an essential safety item and as such include the best headlight technology on ALL trim levels and do away with inferior, unsafe 1980's halogen/reflector crapola.

My girl bought a new Golf TDI in 2015 and during that first year of the Mk7 in our market, you could actually spec the car at the mid trim level with the "lighting package" and get adaptive xenons without having to buy other stuff or bump up to the SEL level. I told her at the time that this was very unusual for VW and she was lucky to be able to do that. Sure enough, that option went away the very next year.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
name drop much?

:)