GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Apr Stage 1 High tq vs. Low tq

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Anyone tried both? How's the difference? I currently have the high torque tune, but am wondering if the low torque tune might help limit wheelspin while still being fun. Yeah I have lots of torque, but what good is it when you can't put it down? Just weighing my options before I ask the dealership for a change.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I had both APR Stage 1 low torque and Stage 2 high torque. The low torque tune was more linear in the power delivery, with less wheel spin.
What tires are you on? If stock, that is a big part of your problem.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I had both APR Stage 1 low torque and Stage 2 high torque. The low torque tune was more linear in the power delivery, with less wheel spin.
What tires are you on? If stock, that is a big part of your problem.
Michelin AS3+

They're pretty fresh so I don't want to totally burn them away 😆

In terms of overall driving feel, would you say the low torque tune is less exciting? I really love the rush as the torque builds up in the current high torque tune in 3rd gear, for example, but I can't put any of that power down in 1st or 2nd, which makes it not as fun sometimes.

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Maybe get the new, updated tunes before you go switching? Might be worth it before you switch them up.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Michelin AS3+

They're pretty fresh so I don't want to totally burn them away 😆

In terms of overall driving feel, would you say the low torque tune is less exciting? I really love the rush as the torque builds up in the current high torque tune in 3rd gear, for example, but I can't put any of that power down in 1st or 2nd, which makes it not as fun sometimes.
Without some sort of traction control, it's hard to put down stock power in 1st gear.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Maybe get the new, updated tunes before you go switching? Might be worth it before you switch them up.
Any idea what's different between the 2018 tune I have now and whatever is most current? APR said they fixed a "low boost oscillation" but I don't think that affects me (not that I've noticed).

Last edited:

D.Gage

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Gti
Any idea what's different between the 2018 tune I have now and whatever is most current? APR said they fixed a "low boost oscillation" but I don't think that affects me (not that I've noticed).
Beats me, I do however have the most current hi tq tune on my car and it’s lovely.

JPB WORLDWIDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 Golf R, RIP GTI S
Definitely a difference in the high to low tq MAPS. Are you DSG or MT? I have the high tq in the GTI now after having the low for over a year, and it is way more torquey and spins a ton to the point that i'm worried it will be a negative on track days. I'm 6spd, so this will differ if you have the DSG. I do feel like there has been a few ponies taken away up top, but not much. Still linear and a good MAP, but will come back after a track day and decide. I don't need to run 12's in this thing, just under 2min ;)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Definitely a difference in the high to low tq MAPS. Are you DSG or MT? I have the high tq in the GTI now after having the low for over a year, and it is way more torquey and spins a ton to the point that i'm worried it will be a negative on track days. I'm 6spd, so this will differ if you have the DSG. I do feel like there has been a few ponies taken away up top, but not much. Still linear and a good MAP, but will come back after a track day and decide. I don't need to run 12's in this thing, just under 2min ;)
DSG. Unless I'm in 3rd gear or higher, it just lights up the tires, even with good tires. I really appreciate the torque on the highway, but most of my driving is in town and I can never really get on it. I feel like the low torque tune would be more "usable."

barf

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG

GreatFallsofGreen

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GFG 7.5, 6MT
I actually have both APR HT and LT cars in the garage!!

Low torque is more fun to me because the car pulls insanely hard and linearly up to 6500 rpm. Especially if you have the manual as well because shifting that high up is fun. You’re gonna need to be shifting a bit more too; despite the lower torque tune there’s good midrange but you’re gonna have to start saving up for a clutch. Less blasting off your tires at city speeds, because there’s also a torque limiter that’s programmed in the tune, similarly to my old Speed3.

Unless your building a roll racer or you’re tuning for the sake of it, can’t really go wrong with the APR tune.