GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are my tuning options for IS38 on a 1.8?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You can run the stock R DP on that tune with no issue (think of it as really a stage 1 tune for the R). Still would need to flash back to stock for smog regardless.
Technically can't put a R pipe in. You can not change the cat for no reason (failure is the only valid reason?). And if you swap, it needs to be the stock one which has a smaller outlet than the R pipe. That's the rule, if you're gonna follow it. :)

If this gets bad, my back out plan is to put my APR tune back in and run a JB4 and laugh at all the Fkrs that talk shit about the JB4. ;)

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Technically can't put a R pipe in. You can not change the cat for no reason (failure is the only valid reason?). And if you swap, it needs to be the stock one which has a smaller outlet than the R pipe. That's the rule, if you're gonna follow it. :)

If this gets bad, my back out plan is to put my APR tune back in and run a JB4 and laugh at all the Fkrs that talk shit about the JB4. ;)
Oh sorry, I didn't mean legally..hahahahaha. Nobody will notice a diferent than it came with stock DP was my point.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Oh sorry, I didn't mean legally..hahahahaha. Nobody will notice a diferent than it came with stock DP was my point.

Right, but because you can't run any aftermarket or other OEM DP legally, there's a 0% chance that the Stage 3 tune would ever be CARB legal.

Actually, no need to even think about the DP. The turbo itself isn't smog legal.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Right, but because you can't run any aftermarket or other OEM DP legally, there's a 0% chance that the Stage 3 tune would ever be CARB legal.

Actually, no need to even think about the DP. The turbo itself isn't smog legal.

I actually think changing the turbo may be more likely to be legal than the downpipe. The turbo itself will not have a negative effect on emissions provided the tune is "carb approved".

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Random thought.. What if the cali ECU tuning rules are happening because of all the pops and bangs. Noise and air polution.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I actually think changing the turbo may be more likely to be legal than the downpipe. The turbo itself will not have a negative effect on emissions provided the tune is "carb approved".
Plus without inspection they won't know the turbo is different.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT

It's still considered as part of the intake/exhaust system so it needs to be emissions/carb compliant. California doesn't care about emissions as much as they just want to be a pain in the ass.

Plus without inspection they won't know the turbo is different.

The discussion is around whether a Stage 3 tune would ever be carb legal. It will never be as long as there are no carb legal turbo and dp options. Can you run an IS38 or an R DP and get away with it? Probably, but it won't be "legal".

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Basically, if I was in CA, I'd do an IS38, R DP, and Uni tune. At smog time whenever that is (?) I'd just flash to stock, get readiness set, and get inspected. I don't see how any of this would be noticed by an inspector as it's all OEM parts, readiness would be set, no spacer needed for the downstream O2 sensor with a stock DP, and no ECU flash at time of inspection. Seems like a good solution to it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's still considered as part of the intake/exhaust system so it needs to be emissions/carb compliant. California doesn't care about emissions as much as they just want to be a pain in the ass.

The discussion is around whether a Stage 3 tune would ever be carb legal. It will never be as long as there are no carb legal turbo and dp options. Can you run an IS38 or an R DP and get away with it? Probably, but it won't be "legal".
Depends on the jurisdiction you're talking about. In Arizona it's fine if you pass emissions. Arizona isn't a CARB state.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Basically, if I was in CA, I'd do an IS38, R DP, and Uni tune. At smog time whenever that is (?) I'd just flash to stock, get readiness set, and get inspected. I don't see how any of this would be noticed by an inspector as it's all OEM parts, readiness would be set, no spacer needed for the downstream O2 sensor with a stock DP, and no ECU flash at time of inspection. Seems like a good solution to it.

I responded to you in another thread as well but I was under the impression that Uni required all of their supporting hardware.

1629743240095.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I responded to you in another thread as well but I was under the impression that Uni required all of their supporting hardware.

View attachment 223493
You are over-thinking it. I suppose an IC is also a good thing to have but how would anyone even see it? I have theirs in mine (it's black) and you can't see it even if you try...or do an R IC even though it's not much bigger than what on their now. So IC (R?) R DP, IS38 is all you really need. Turbo inlet pipe is basically invisible too - mine is CTS but you could just take their logo off etc.. The DP bit is where folks get hung up. Their tune is basically no different than a stage 1 R tune which is an IS38 stock DP file - the "DP" bit of the 1.8 tune is just a CEL killer. The flow on that stock R DP is more than adquate and some have used it with the 38 that I've seen. A stock intake with the simple mods that folks do/filter is also more than adequate and can't be seen.

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT

You'd have to make sure the unitronic "stock" file has a valid calibration ID number in it though. Chances are it will, but it's not something you want to roll the dice on .

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
You are over-thinking it. I suppose an IC is also a good thing to have but how would anyone even see it? I have theirs in mine (it's black) and you can't see it even if you try...or do an R IC even though it's not much bigger than what on their now. So IC (R?) R DP, IS38 is all you really need. Turbo inlet pipe is basically invisible too - mine is CTS but you could just take their logo off etc.. The DP bit is where folks get hung up. Their tune is basically no different than a stage 1 R tune which is an IS38 stock DP file - the "DP" bit of the 1.8 tune is just a CEL killer. The flow on that stock R DP is more than adquate and some have used it with the 38 that I've seen. A stock intake with the simple mods that folks do/filter is also more than adequate and can't be seen.

I may be overthinking it, but I've had to go through the pain of getting other cars through smog before, and it's even worse now with the ECU tune checking. A lot of smog stations will use mirrors to look around heat shields and parts to see what you're running.

I also don't want some crappy tune that will make my car run like garbage or worse cause my car to blow up. Not calling Uni crappy but the gas we get in California is crappy and may not play nice with a lot of tunes.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You'd have to make sure the unitronic "stock" file has a valid calibration ID number in it though. Chances are it will, but it's not something you want to roll the dice on .
Ah so the flash to stock "stock" file doesn't show as modded. Makes sense. All can be handled through a chat with them I'm sure.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I may be overthinking it, but I've had to go through the pain of getting other cars through smog before, and it's even worse now with the ECU tune checking. A lot of smog stations will use mirrors to look around heat shields and parts to see what you're running.

I also don't want some crappy tune that will make my car run like garbage or worse cause my car to blow up. Not calling Uni crappy but the gas we get in California is crappy and may not play nice with a lot of tunes.
I get it for sure. Folks in CA drive tuned cars so there has to be a solution for you on all of this.