GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Perelli Cinturato P7 anyone?

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
I just replaced my stock Hankooks since they wore down to the bars. I replaced them after doing a good bit of homework on TIre Rack with the Cinturato P7s. I read the test results from Tire Rack comparing them to the Continental DWS 06 and the P7 chart results for dry track were pretty much equal to the Continentals, and with the same test car, even though they are a different class of tire. I learned the hard way, test results for g's, stopping distance, and slalem, and lap times, does not translate to how the tires handle. I am beyond disappointed in these tires. compared to the stock Hankooks I feel like I am driving a boat. Lots of delay in the feedback when taking curves. The rear end of the car feels disconnected from the front. If feels as if the back end is slipping even though its not.

Anyway, venting aside, I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

Standard MK7 1.8T

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
They came stock with my GTI. I don't think they are all that bad. I mean I have to drive like a real a hole to get them to really squeal. They're smooth, quiet, and handle pretty decent in the rain. Would I get them again? Probably not.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
The Cinturato P7s came stock on my GTI as well.
I didn't have any complaints with them, other then they simply are not a performance tire. They were infinitely more quiet than the PZero Nero's I had on my aftermarket wheels, and had a lot more grip from what I could tell. The PZero Nero's were just garbage, I replaced those after maybe 200 miles.

If you can return them for another set, definitely save up a little more for any of the Michelin's that fit your fancy. My PS4S have been great so far, with only slightly more noise than the Cinturato P7.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Since you're in California, you probably don't need all season tires. Get the Falken FK510 instead of the Michelin if you're on a budget. For daily driving, they are just as good while costing almost half as much as the Michelin Pilot Sport 4/4S.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Another with the P7s stock. These are very generic also-ran grade all season tires. They're not awful, but that's the nicest thing I have to say about them.

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the input everyone. I didn't know these came standard on the GTIs. For the category of tire TR rates them very high so I figured they would be way better than the stock Hankooks that came on mine. I never see snow or ice but I do get temps close to freezing so I was concerned summer tires would not do well in those times. I read that somewhere anyway, they aren't so good below 40*. The Falkens suggested above don't come (at least from TR) in my size.

IF the P7s came OEM on the GTIs has anyone switched from them to the DWS 06? How much improvement in tightening up the feel of the ride? I see them as a bit of a cost savings over the MPSAS4s, especially now that I'll be paying for 2 installations. How is Tire Rack on returns for tires that don't have anything defective, other than my opinion of them? :)

I"ve been looking into tires for months waiting for mine to wear out and I had pretty much decided on the DWS 06 and then after reading the test results I thought I could get close to the same handling but with longer tread life and maybe less noise. These are nice and quiet, so I will give them that at least. I don't really have a heavy foot, but most of my driving is on twisty roads up and down the CA coast. Rare to get a mile of straight HWY on my drives. If only Bridgestone still made the 950. I loved those tires, and had them on 3 cars.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I live in Placerville CA and in the winter we get snow, and even if no snow, routinely below 40 degrees. I have snow tires when needed, but ran the PS4S's in 30 degree weather without a problem. The main thing is that when it is that cold, you don't want to drive hard on summer tires, go easy and you're fine.

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
Update:
I seem to have an installation issue to follow up on. These tires are not holding pressure. I inflated them to 36 PSI and a few days later they were at 32. 32 is the recommended pressure on the door decal. So I added air to 38 PSI and that made quite a bit of improvement. Since all 4 corners went from 36 to 32 (same gauge used both times) I will give it another week before taking it back to the installers. I don't think the 4 PSI drop was due to temperature, but I am not ruling it out completely. At 38 PSI, I might be able to live with them, but if I had it to do over, I would have gone with Mich's or the new Cont. 06+