GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are my tuning options for IS38 on a 1.8?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
No home flashing for APR. Get an APR Stage 1 tune, install IS20 or IS38, run a JB4 on top of the APR.
This is somewhat the idea that I'm leaning toward at the moment. Seeing as the ECU flash check will very shortly be part of smog out here. Been following the jb4 IS38 on the 1.8T thread as I figured it might the least pain in the ass way to do a turbo swap in California now.

I assume JB4 has to be unplugged or at least hidden for smog though? At least with APR 1 + JB4 or just JB4 you don't have to worry about going through miles or cycles required to set readiness.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Yea, you'd definitely have to remove the JB4 for smog. I bet you could leave the data cable and OBD2 cable still there though, so you don't have to repeat most of the hard part.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
This is somewhat the idea that I'm leaning toward at the moment. Seeing as the ECU flash check will very shortly be part of smog out here. Been following the jb4 IS38 on the 1.8T thread as I figured it might the least pain in the ass way to do a turbo swap in California now.

I assume JB4 has to be unplugged or at least hidden for smog though? At least with APR 1 + JB4 or just JB4 you don't have to worry about going through miles or cycles required to set readiness.
I think BMS wasn't allowed to sell the JB4 in CA though. You can get a used one. Should probably pick one up ASAP.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I think BMS wasn't allowed to sell the JB4 in CA though. You can get a used one. Should probably pick one up ASAP.
You can get a new JB4 in CA, but you can't buy it from them directly, it has to be through like BFI or something iirc. Alternatively, I do happen to be selling mine right now :p.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Nooooo... Don't sell it....
lol. It's good, but open source tuning does everything I ever wanted, so it's kind of redundant now.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Isn't CA smog only after 8 years?

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Isn't CA smog only after 8 years?

For now. They seem to have a vendetta against gasoline cars though so who knows how that'll change in the future.

Also, I don't want to spend thousands on tuning and a turbo and related mods and be screwed when it comes time to smog. I want to be able to do the least amount of work possible to get it to pass.

WoNayT

Passed Driver's Ed
Also it looks like APR Stage 1 is approved by CA CARB, I've been trying to find out if stage 3 is...

Attachments

• d-783-3.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 90

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Also it looks like APR Stage 1 is approved by CA CARB, I've been trying to find out if stage 3 is...
It's going to be a no - I hear they are working on a tubo upgrade/tune that is.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Stage 3 won't be as it requires an aftermarket DP to work and I don't know of any CARB legal DPs.
You can run the stock R DP on that tune with no issue (think of it as really a stage 1 tune for the R). Still would need to flash back to stock for smog regardless.