GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are my tuning options for IS38 on a 1.8?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Interesting. And none of the hard pipes or anything are changed when changing intercoolers? A shiny IC pipe would probably arouse some suspicion.
I didn't install mine so I'm not sure. Can you get ahold of Keehs360? He would know.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks for all the info! I agree that the best bet is to probably contact the individual tuners to see what they would recommend with my setup.

While I agree an IC and maybe MPI would be very beneficial, California is a turd state and my ultimate goal is to keep everything visually stock. An IS38 should be indistinguishable from an IS12/20 from the outside, and I'm hoping an OEM R pipe would pass visual (or go unnoticed...). MPI and IC would stick out like a sore thumb. I'm hoping I wouldn't need either for the relatively modest power levels I want.
Any direct-replacment/stock-location IC will not be able to be seen - stock IC sits between radiator and condensor. You can just re-use the stock charge hoses typically. You are thinking of a front-mount where you see it through the grille.

Last edited:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Where would I find the OEM downpipe tune? I don't see any mention of it on their site. I was also under the impression that a test pipe tune = catless exhaust tune, so "non test pipe" could mean any downpipe (including aftermarket) that has a cat.
You just call APR/DM Arin - I know another wagon guy doing the same thing...IS38 on the non-DP file so his readiness isn't goofed for emissions. He runs an AWE (?) DP that doesn't throw a CEL but on your stock R DP, you'd be set in that regard anyway. Keep in mind the only difference in the DP vs. non-DP files is this readiness issue...tunes are the same. Unitronic addresses it here...any gains from the DP are from the DP itself, not the DP file.

Capture.JPG

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Where would I find the OEM downpipe tune? I don't see any mention of it on their site. I was also under the impression that a test pipe tune = catless exhaust tune, so "non test pipe" could mean any downpipe (including aftermarket) that has a cat.

You just call APR/DM Arin - I know another wagon guy doing the same thing...IS38 on the non-DP file so his readiness isn't goofed for emissions. He runs an AWE (?) DP that doesn't throw a CEL but on your stock R DP, you'd be set in that regard anyway. Keep in mind the only difference in the DP vs. non-DP files is this readiness issue...tunes are the same. Unitronic addresses it here...any gains from the DP are from the DP itself, not the DP file.

View attachment 222420
Like Tigeo said, just reach out to them. That's what I did. Any downpipe with a good cat will be fine. I am running a Bull-X downpipe with GESI cat. That's a handful out there, but if you run Golf R dp, you'll be fine.

But if you ever have plans for additional fueling, e40, or bigger turbo, check out Reflect

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
To clarify, UM would not want you to go mpi/lpfp with an is38 on 91. It’s not needed. That is only if you wanted to run E85 or a larger turbo than is38

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Thanks for all the clarification! I'll have to call APR and ask about their OEM dp tune.
To clarify, UM would not want you to go mpi/lpfp with an is38 on 91. It’s not needed. That is only if you wanted to run E85 or a larger turbo than is38

Main reason I'd want MPI is to not have to do carbon cleaning but that wouldn't pass smog anyways. :(

Also, can I flash back to stock for smog and have the car still pass with the IS38 and DP (aka the car won't freak out and throw a bunch of codes while I'm trying to smog it?)?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Thanks for all the clarification! I'll have to call APR and ask about their OEM dp tune.

Main reason I'd want MPI is to not have to do carbon cleaning but that wouldn't pass smog anyways. :(

Also, can I flash back to stock for smog and have the car still pass with the IS38 and DP (aka the car won't freak out and throw a bunch of codes while I'm trying to smog it?)?
My MPI car passed NYS inspection. No reason why it wouldn't.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
With a stock DP - yes, if you flash to stock there is no reason I can see for any codes etc. The larger turbo is "dumb" and while not optimized for the stock tune, will just do it's thing based on what the ECU tells it to do which will be run stock boost levels.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
My MPI car passed NYS inspection. No reason why it wouldn't.

The extra fuel rail isn't visible from the top? In California they break out the mirrors to check everything hence why I didn't want to risk it.

With a stock DP - yes, if you flash to stock there is no reason I can see for any codes etc. The larger turbo is "dumb" and while not optimized for the stock tune, will just do it's thing based on what the ECU tells it to do which will be run stock boost levels.

That's good to know, thanks! I am guessing if APR is safe, then I might as well go that route instead of a custom e-tune since that will end up costing roughly double what an APR tune would cost.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
The extra fuel rail isn't visible from the top? In California they break out the mirrors to check everything hence why I didn't want to risk it.

That's good to know, thanks! I am guessing if APR is safe, then I might as well go that route instead of a custom e-tune since that will end up costing roughly double what an APR tune would cost.
Can't see it under the engine cover unless you look hard. Your location says Denver?

joedubs

Go Kart Champion
If APR has a CARB approved IS38 tune, just get APR and be done with it.

Yeah, in California they recently started checking for tunes by looking at something called a CVN.

afaik:
Open source - I'm one of the devs and we don't do CVN 'correction' so you wouldn't pass
UM isn't doing any CVN 'correcting' so you wouldn't pass with a UM tune
APR won't do CVN 'correcting' so if they have no 'approved' tune you wouldn't pass
ECUTek is located in Europe so they *may* do CVN 'correction' but you would have to check with them (and since they have a US presence, I doubt they would advertise that sort of functionality).
Reflect may or may not - I believe alientech does it so if that's what Ian uses to tune it would work.

I can't speak for the rest of them aside from saying they probably don't do it either. At that point your best bet is to go with a tuner that lets you flash at home so you can return the car to stock when necessary. WHAT I WILL say is that ECUtek's "stock" tune isn't really "stock" so it likely wouldn't pass a CVN check either (based on the fact that we couldn't flash over @J Peterman 's car that was on an 'ecutek stock' file). If you can't flash it yourself you're looking at a dealer/distributor fee twice a year just to return the car to stock for your inspection and then flash you again afterwards