GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding Space Saver Spare, Hold-Down "Bolt"

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Four to six weeks to obtain through DAP. I'm pretty sure a Euro VIN won't help unless you're buying from e-acca.com. Long way for a foam and plastic part to travel undamaged and probably more to ship than at home.

Urlik

Go Kart Newbie
Four to six weeks to obtain through DAP. I'm pretty sure a Euro VIN won't help unless you're buying from e-acca.com. Long way for a foam and plastic part to travel undamaged and probably more to ship than at home.
e-acca packs it well. Mine made it completely undamaged years ago when I bought them from them.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The foam tray costs $20 for the part and for some reason costs $60 to ship through ECS. The spare tire cost less than that to ship.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
The best way to find out is to take off one wheel and see how it fits.
Aha! The crease in the trunk floor (which is primarily to act as a hinge, so about 90% of the floor can tilt up while 10% remains tucked under the corner trim pieces) actually solves the problem! When the floor is completely pulled out and needs to be placed on top of a full-size wheel in the spare well, folding it on that crease makes it short enough to fit between the hatch and the rear seats. Nifty.

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
slide under the lip at the rear
When you say lip, are you talking about the carpeted trunk floor that slides into the plastic trim near the back seat? My previous message here explains how it's no problem. It will just be a little loosey goosey since it will rest on the full size wheel instead of sliding into it's normal place. Good enough to get you home assuming you didn't absolutely max out your trunk with cargo (although I could see a large cooler conflicting with the back seat after being elevated... experiment with it).

TCdaosithui

Ready to race!
When you say lip, are you talking about the carpeted trunk floor that slides into the plastic trim near the back seat? My previous message here explains how it's no problem. It will just be a little loosey goosey since it will rest on the full size wheel instead of sliding into it's normal place. Good enough to get you home assuming you didn't absolutely max out your trunk with cargo (although I could see a large cooler conflicting with the back seat after being elevated... experiment with it).
not the trunk floor, here is the image, the Neuspeed is 18x8 and w/tire, I'm not sure I could get it in the space under there

Attachments

• IMG_20211120_161524[1].jpg
    IMG_20211120_161524[1].jpg
    2 MB · Views: 56

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Whoa... I'm pretty confused by that photo. That's the trim piece with the hole for the hatch latch, right? As far as I'm aware, there are 2 versions of that trim:
  • no notch, for cars with no factory spare (such as the US-spec Golf R), which doesn't leave room for any kind of wheel at all
  • notched, for cars with a factory spare, which has plenty of clearance for any wheel/tire, not just compact
Looks like you have the first version, but also managed to squeeze a compact spare under it? That's wild. Usually people will swap to the second version (for example see post #15 of this thread) or modify the piece with a jigsaw or something.

Last edited:

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Attached photo shows how the first version doesn't offer enough clearance for anything. But I just thought of something. I only have knowledge of the Golf R which has AWD so maybe the trunk is smaller to make room for the rear diff and axel? In which case the GTI allows you to use the no-notch trim piece and still have clearance for a compact spare? Sounds like you need to change to the notched trim piece for a full-size wheel but I'm just guessing at this point.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.32.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-22 at 2.32.41 PM.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 55