GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Metallic rattling on cold start

Manchu

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I picked up a 2019 GTI about 2 months ago. I've noticed that every time I do a cold start there is a very prominent higher-pitched sort of metallic rattling sound that seems to be coming from the front of the car. The noise is only noticeable when the car is cold. I found a thread with a video that showcased the exact noise I am hearing, but nobody had a definitive answer and it was mostly "well I heard it was normal so it's probably fine". I am taking my car to the dealer on Thursday to have the 40k service done in addition to having them look at a couple other things. Just wondering if it would be something worth mentioning.

Here is my video, and the video from the thread. Mine (top) doesn't showcase the noise super well so you might have to turn up your volume and/or use headphones. The lower video (not mine) showcases what the noise sounds like more realistically.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Normal x3.

Mine makes the same noise, as did every other new GTI I listened to on the dealer lot.

norsairius

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Unfortunately normal. It makes the car sound cheap or broken for about a minute/minute and a half or so, but goes away after that.

vertro31

Car(s)
MK7 GLI
I know people are probably tired of me posting this but obviously everyone isn't aware that you can get rid of that sound permanently by using Cerma Engine Treatment.

https://www.cermastore.com/engine-treatment-gas-and-diesel-autos.html
Do you still recommend this stuff? Im on the fence. So many people say its sucks but some people like you seem to swear by it. My car has been making a tapping sound on cold start only when its under 50 degrees. seems to go away after a couple minutes. Its been doing it for a couple years haha.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Do you still recommend this stuff? Im on the fence. So many people say its sucks but some people like you seem to swear by it. My car has been making a tapping sound on cold start only when its under 50 degrees. seems to go away after a couple minutes. Its been doing it for a couple years haha.
They all sound that way. The only people who have said the product sucks in here have never used it. It definitely works but people have a hard time believing it because it's expensive and such a small quantity. A few other forum members bought it and liked the results.