GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Brake auto hold unexpectedly releases

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
With the DSG, there are various things that trigger the release of "auto hold" braking, for example the gas pedal is the obvious one, and shifting to neutral which makes sense to ensure towing doesn't ride the brakes.

But I just discovered a release trigger that makes no sense. I'm wondering if my car is on the fritz, or if most/all cars are like this. Is it a design decision or a flaw?
  1. Ensure the Auto Hold feature is engaged.
  2. While driving, turn on the adaptive cruise control and set it.
  3. Come to a stop (at a red light, for example) which cancels cruise control because of using the brake pedal. Once stopped, release the brake pedal, letting Auto Hold do the braking.
  4. While stopped, press the "resume" button on the cruise control. You'll notice your previous set speed show on the cluster when doing this.
  5. While still stopped, press the "cancel" button on the cruise control. DANGER! This triggers a release of Auto Hold for no apparent reason.
Give it a shot and report back whether you experience the same.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
With the DSG, there are various things that trigger the release of "auto hold" braking, for example the gas pedal is the obvious one, and shifting to neutral which makes sense to ensure towing doesn't ride the brakes.

But I just discovered a release trigger that makes no sense. I'm wondering if my car is on the fritz, or if most/all cars are like this. Is it a design decision or a flaw?
  1. Ensure the Auto Hold feature is engaged.
  2. While driving, turn on the adaptive cruise control and set it.
  3. Come to a stop (at a red light, for example) which cancels cruise control because of using the brake pedal. Once stopped, release the brake pedal, letting Auto Hold do the braking.
  4. While stopped, press the "resume" button on the cruise control. You'll notice your previous set speed show on the cluster when doing this.
  5. While still stopped, press the "cancel" button on the cruise control. DANGER! This triggers a release of Auto Hold for no apparent reason.
Give it a shot and report back whether you experience the same.
Auto hold only works on an incline. If I'm on level ground and take my foot off the brake without touching the accelerator the car moves forward very slowly as it should.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Auto hold only works on an incline. If I'm on level ground and take my foot off the brake without touching the accelerator the car moves forward very slowly as it should.
Not the case with my car. I take my foot off the brake at every red light I encounter. Makes driving a rental car take some getting used to!

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not my car. I take my foot off the brake at every red light I encounter. Makes driving a rental car take some getting used to!
What car are you talking about? You drive a VW with DSG and your example said a DSG. Auto hold only works on an incline.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
What car are you talking about? You drive a VW with DSG and your example said a DSG. Auto hold only works on an incline.
My only car, a 2017 Golf R with DCC and DSG. The auto hold feature is basically like "never creep" in addition to "don't roll by gravity" as achieved by "keep the brakes on until one of the specific triggers mentioned in the original post."

I do have VCDS and have used it for many things, but I don't recall any modifications related to this.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have no idea why you said a rental car and it wasn't your car and that you were getting used to it. All I can say again is auto hold only works on an incline.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I said that driving a rental car takes some getting used to, because when I drive my own car, I never keep my foot on the brake at red lights (regardless of incline).

I just edited the post for clarity by replacing "Not my car" with "Not the case with my car."

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
All I can say is that apparently some of us have "incline only" auto hold, and some of us have "incline or not" auto hold. This thread is about the latter; folks withe the former need not derail the thread further ;-)

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
My auto hold also works incline or not.

I'm not totally getting your cruise control issue. Are you stopping then hitting resume and then cancelling it all in the same stop? If so, why would you do this, and is it really a practical problem?

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
My 2018 Gold R Auto Hold works 100% of the time. Auto Hold, means hold. Doesn't matter what incline I am at, it keeps brakes applied.
I have not tried that sequence of events, but I agree with the question, why are you doing that? If you are totally stopped why would you hit Resume?
Resume is for when you are NOT stopped and trying to get back to cruise speed.
Why would you click Resume at a Stop Light? And then Cancel?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like yours if faulty. auto hold on DSG does what it says, holds whatever the situation or incline until cancelled.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
All I can say is that apparently some of us have "incline only" auto hold, and some of us have "incline or not" auto hold. This thread is about the latter; folks withe the former need not derail the thread further ;-)
Sorry, apparently you're correct and mine has never worked properly.