GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 3 TCU

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Sitting at 480/425 like, I found the sweet spot.
Wise choice to not keep throwing money at it, Hoon.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
@Hoon I'm sure I am not too far behind you with my build but too stubborn, I guess, to stop right now. I'll let you know when that day comes for me. A used RS3 with DSG is starting to look real good for me right now. What's going to be your next move/project?

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Damn, so is it really the end this time Hoon? This is disappointing news for the platform that this is the limit.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Damn, so is it really the end this time Hoon? This is disappointing news for the platform that this is the limit.

Sounds like the reasonable limit. Sucks seeing the end of the project, but I don't blame Hoon for not wanting to spend another $6k to build the transmission.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
Does the RS3 trans not just bolt up to the EA888?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
over 600 HP look for a RS3 or TTRS
agree.
What's going to be your next move/project?
i don't know. I'm going to try to wait awhile but I have the itch already lol. I'm thinking LSx, Auto, RWD, all the boost. Maybe in an F-body, they're now old enough that a clean one is rare/cool. I keep thinking about a 5.0/A10 2018+ mustang too.

I'm all over the place. Maybe i'll do a blower or nitrous setup, kind of tired of the turbo thing. All my cars have been turbo, maybe its time to do something different.

Yes, no question this is the end. As far as the platform limit, you can make a lot more power and go faster, but it's going to be a headache/constant expense if you're beating on it regularly.

I was wavering when i built the motor, there's no wavering now. Paid the car off today, it'll be stock on a dealers lot as fast as i can put it together. Priority one is finding a buyer for the built motor that can provide a healthy stock motor + cash.
Sounds like the reasonable limit. Sucks seeing the end of the project, but I don't blame Hoon for not wanting to spend another $6k to build the transmission.
exactly. Thats not even a built trans, that's just a clutch assembly. Full trans build to hold big power (not that i'm making enough to need it) would be double that.
WAT the RS3 trans goes for 15k? That's insane
When i priced out the swap a year ago it was over $10k using junkyard parts.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Blown big block chevy

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'm in love with this 1980 Malibu that's for sale locally, but I want to buy it as a roller and he doesn't want to sell it that way. The old school blown (carbed) SBC/T5 combo has no appeal to me.

I've always wanted to do a big block. I think it's cool as hell to make 1000+ on pump gas lol.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
And it's so easy with a bbc 454