GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
This is excellent. Great forum topic with useful info.

Should we update starting today and going forward, or from prior few days posts? Also, is it updating THIS? Or will there be a new spreadsheet?

Thanks again.
I believe I have the old spreadsheet updated with everyone’s times, so starting from today just submit using the google form. I’ll continue to work on the formatting so it all looks nice. I am attempting to roll the old spreadsheet into the new one, basically.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
More fuel to eventually do a west coast swing with my R.

Is that your first track day ever, or just this season? If first ever, that is especially tasty. So are you now hooked?

105 degrees?(!) How did the car like the end of the sessions and the end of the day?
Just to further entice you out West, Buttonwillow is opening a brand new track this fall... I'm looking forward to trying to hit both tracks on back to back weekends.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Here is the video from a new PB at Summit Point Main. 1:27.33 which is 0.65 faster than prior best. After literally years of searching, research and most importantly testing I think (hope) I've found the right tire/brake combo with Falken 660's and Ferodo DS3.1.2 front, DS1.11 rear. Tires and brakes held up great throughout the day and never degraded through 7 sessions with low 80 ambient. That's after 120 laps at Lime Rock where I also had a new PB. At Summit I had 8 laps that beat my prior personal best this day. Very happy, and the 660's don't break the bank. Once again, without a ton of $$ on mods, the R is just terrific as a combo DD/track car.

As is normal for me, I have my best laps when chasing someone who is slightly faster than me. This time it's a Mustang. A really fun day.

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Set a PR by 1.3s at Laguna Seca yesterday. Very happy with the time. This was my second session of the day and honestly on this lap I wasn't expecting to go as fast as I did but it all worked out. Thought I could do 1:45s in the afternoon sessions but I seemed to have much less grip after lunch and only managed 1:47.1. Tires felt pretty shot by the end. Next up is back to Thunderhill to try and set a new PR there.

Track name: Laguna Seca
Track location: Salinas, CA
Time: 1:46.241
Year/model: 2017 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200
Estimated wheel horsepower: 250 (JB4 map 1)
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: 255/35/18 Nexen N FERA SUR4G (200tw)
Estimated ambient temperature: 65F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): EQT Coilovers 2.5F/2.0R camber, 34psi cold, Macan BBK w/ Ferodo DS2500 pads, Eibach 25mm RSB, 18x9 Neuspeeds.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Set a PR by 1.3s at Laguna Seca yesterday. Very happy with the time. This was my second session of the day and honestly on this lap I wasn't expecting to go as fast as I did but it all worked out. Thought I could do 1:45s in the afternoon sessions but I seemed to have much less grip after lunch and only managed 1:47.1. Tires felt pretty shot by the end. Next up is back to Thunderhill to try and set a new PR there.

Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): EQT Coilovers 2.5F/2.0R camber, 34psi cold, Macan BBK w/ Ferodo DS2500 pads, Eibach 25mm RSB, 18x9 Neuspeeds.

Awesome lap, man! Looking good.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion

Man that is a nice lap. Kudos. I really love the way your car takes a set mid-corner. Nice going.

jawndropper

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Track name: NJMP Lightning
Track location: Millville, NJ
Time: 1:25.2
Estimated wheel horsepower: 370 (APR IS38)
Fuel: E30
Tire size and model: 225/35/19 Firehawk Indy 500
Estimated ambient temperature: 85
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): OEM IS38, APR downpipe intake & intercooler, KW v1 Coilovers, 29psi cold, stock brakes, 19x8.5 rotiform rse

first track day ever.

Last edited:

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Added my lap times through the google sheet. Have times at Mid Ohio, Autobahn South, Blackhawk, Gingerman, Road America, and Grattan. Was my first time at Grattan, Gingerman, and Blackhawk, second time at Autobahn and Road America, and my Xth time at Mid Ohio. I've been running the Cobb OTS 91 tune on my IS38 on track to help keep the temps in check until I can get the aux radiator in.

The videos are all here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMM-RjPzSqgJSMpm15L6cA/videos

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Track name: thompson speedway road course
Track location: CT
Lap time: 1:24.3
Year/model: '17 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 230? Stock
Fuel: 93
Tire size and model: 225 kumho v730
Estimated ambient temperature: 80F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Ohlins MT21. DS2500 front pads and RS3 ducts

Back at Thompson again. First track day with Ohlins MT21 setup. Did a shakedown at miata-cross last weekend where I seemed to stack up a bit better than I normally do against miatas -- but last weekend's course did seem to suck for miatas... Anyway, you might want to know my impressions of the silly ikea dampers. Is the car faster? Well maybe. Overall the off throttle balance has been shifted more towards understeer with the new suspension. The car generally seems less easy to upset and as a result less responsive to trail braking and throttle lift. A more stable setup which seems easier to hit consistent lap times. Its really hard to say what the pace difference might be given so many variable changes, but I would suspect at the upper estimate its something like an improvement of ~1s on a 1.7 mile road course like Thompson. But is the car more fun to drive? No not really its fine though. Ran the dampers set to 6 clicks rear and 7 clicks front, what I ran at autox, for the first session and it was way too stiff and struggled especially in one bumpy braking section-backed off to 11 front 10 rear but when I go back I am gona try full soft

The run group didn't have too many cars in it. Really just a few Porsche Caymans and way too many miatas. Frequently I would have 5 minute stretches where I didn't see any other cars. Then my car would get properly heat soaked from all the fun I was having and then I would do a cool down lap...and when ready for the next hot lap a wild miata would appear. Additionally, a connector on my jank GPS broke in the afternoon so I only timed in the morning. Regardless, of the sessions I timed, I went 2s faster than last time I was here. I suspect the afternoon sessions had a few better fliers but how quick who knows; all the more reason to come back another time. So out of that 2s improvement how much is tires, suspension, driver? Your guess is as good as mine

One fun thing that did happen is someone walked by my car and snitched to the event organizer that I am running on cords. I am most definitely not running on cords. The event organizer did diligence and did a full inspection of my kumhos. pic related.

v730.jpg

One more fun thing. Porsche Cayman GT4s are insanely capable. Getting absolutely roasted by one that is avoiding apexes with wanton abandon is really something:

Lastly here is my video with overlay:

Last edited:

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
One fun thing that did happen is someone walked by my car and snitched to the event organizer that I am running on cords. I am most definitely not running on cords. The event organizer did diligence and did a full inspection of my kumhos. pic related.

View attachment 220637
Those look fine, wonder if organizers confused you with someone else or why they (concerned citizen) thought you were corded.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Track name: thompson speedway road course
Track location: CT
Lap time: 1:24.3
Year/model: '17 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 230? Stock
Tire size and model: 225 kumho v730
Estimated ambient temperature: 80F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Ohlins MT21. DS2500 front pads and RS3 ducts

Back at Thompson again. First track day with Ohlins MT21 setup. Did a shakedown at miata-cross last weekend where I seemed to stack up a bit better than I normally do against miatas -- but last weekend's course did seem to suck for miatas... Anyway, you might want to know my impressions of the silly ikea dampers. Is the car faster? Well maybe. Overall the off throttle balance has been shifted more towards understeer with the new suspension. The car generally seems less easy to upset and as a result less responsive to trail braking and throttle lift. A more stable setup which seems easier to hit consistent lap times. Its really hard to say what the pace difference might be given so many variable changes, but I would suspect at the upper estimate its something like an improvement of ~1s on a 1.7 mile road course like Thompson. But is the car more fun to drive? No not really its fine though. Ran the dampers set to 6 clicks rear and 7 clicks front, what I ran at autox, for the first session and it was way too stiff and struggled especially in one bumpy braking section-backed off to 11 front 10 rear but when I go back I am gona try full soft

The run group didn't have too many cars in it. Really just a few Porsche Caymans and way too many miatas. Frequently I would have 5 minute stretches where I didn't see any other cars. Then my car would get properly heat soaked from all the fun I was having and then I would do a cool down lap...and when ready for the next hot lap a wild miata would appear. Additionally, a connector on my jank GPS broke in the afternoon so I only timed in the morning. Regardless, of the sessions I timed, I went 2s faster than last time I was here. I suspect the afternoon sessions had a few better fliers but how quick who knows; all the more reason to come back another time. So out of that 2s improvement how much is tires, suspension, driver? Your guess is as good as mine

View attachment 220637

One more fun thing. Porsche Cayman GT4s are insanely capable. Getting absolutely roasted by one that is avoiding apexes with wanton abandon is really something:

Lastly here is my video with overlay:
As usual, nice driving. Yes, those GT4's are wonderful. Got to drive a friend's GT4 at AZ Motorsports Park and it was a blast. One of the very few cars that really can benefit from a good boost in HP while keeping the rest stock. Power is OK. Suspension is ridiculous.

You were hanging pretty well with him. Nice.

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Those look fine, wonder if organizers confused you with someone else or why they (concerned citizen) thought you were corded.
Right? I was more confused than anything. The amount of certainty I would need to call out a stranger would have to be exceedingly high. That being said I have no idea how to measure wear on these street tires that effectively don't have tread on that 1/3 of the tire.

As usual, nice driving. Yes, those GT4's are wonderful. Got to drive a friend's GT4 at AZ Motorsports Park and it was a blast. One of the very few cars that really can benefit from a good boost in HP while keeping the rest stock. Power is OK. Suspension is ridiculous.

Right? I am used to being gaped on the straight but watching it in the corners square off corners and get away with overly tight lines was really interesting to me. Hopefully i'll see you out on track sometime soon -- I think I recall you saying you mostly don't run in the summer -- which, if so, I am starting to understand. I am pretty sure my car lost 3mph on the straight at Thompson compared to last time I was there suffering on heat alone.

Roadrunner_GTI

Drag Racing Champion
This may be an “unofficial entry” as I’m a mk6, not mk7 😄 But I appreciate this thread so I figured I’d add some data points.

Track name: VIR Full Course
Track location: Alton, VA
Lap time: 2:14:90
Year/model: 2013 GTI 6spd
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3,300
Estimated wheel horsepower: 275 (FBO APR Stage 2)
Tire size and model: Nitto NT01 225/45R17
Estimated ambient temperature: 75F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): FBO APR Stage 2, Mocal oil cooler, RSR Clutch, Peloquin LSD, Stoptech BBK, VWR Springs/Koni Yellows, H&R 26mm FSB / 24mm RSB, GC camber plates, SuperPro RCA ball joints, -3.0 Camber Fr / -2.25 Camber rear

Since this lap, I’ve upgraded to a k04 turbo with Stratified Protune and made some cooling system upgrades. Hoping for low-teens next visit to VIR