GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Finally posting a video of my new PB at Lime Rock from 6/10 with SCDA. After a lonnnng time, I achieved a personal goal of getting into the 1:03's...only by .002 seconds, but still. All specifics about the car are six posts above.

It is always so helpful to chase someone who is faster than you, in this case I was chasing a fast Cayman S whose tires were still getting up to temp. He was about a second or so faster than me throughout the day, and made a great rabbit. A really fun day.

My best times have come from chasing a faster car.

Well done!

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Did another Track Night in America event at PIR. Heavy use and 95 degree heat made the track pretty greasy, but managed to hit my best lap time yet in the 3rd session (and a new top speed of 124.6mph on the back straight). Despite the heat, we had few incidents and I believe only one car had to catch a ride home on a flatbed. Was happy I added the intercooler and RS3 brake ducts since our last session.

SCCA TNiA 6.25.21 Intermediate Group Session 3

Track name: Portland International Raceway
Track location: Portland, OR
Lap time: 1:36.278
Year/model: '15 GTI
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200
Estimated wheel horsepower: haven't dynoed, but would est over 320 with mods
Fuel: 92
Tire size and model: Bridgestone RE-71R 225/40/18
Estimated ambient temperature: 94F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): 034 RSB on stiffest setting, PP calipers F/R w Slotted rotors stainless lines EBC Yellow RS3 Brake ducts and RBF600, OZ Ultraleggera 18x8.5, APR Stage 1, APR Open Carbon Fiber CAI and Pipe, BMS turbo inlet pipe, Clubsport exhaust, IE V2 Intercooler, APR coil packs, rear seats, cargo shelves, and spare removed.

Last edited:

Mk7SB

Car(s)
GTI MK7 APR Stage 1
First Track Day!
Ended up faster than a stripped out 3 series BMW by 1 second.
Here is the video of me trying to catch up to him.
Constructive criticism of racing line would be great!

Willow Springs - 17' GTI best lap

Track name: Willow Springs International Raceway
Track location: Rosamond, CA
Lap time: 1:53.19
Year/model: '17 GTI (non-PP)
Estimated wheel horsepower: est. 320
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: Falken RT615K+ 225/40/18
Estimated ambient temperature: 105F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): H&R RSB, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstien B4 Shocks, RS3 Brake ducts, RBF600 and Hawk Performance pads, CTS Intercooler, APR Stage 1 (91 HT), Nuespeed P-flo Intake, RS7 NGK spark plugs.

Last edited:

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
First Track Day!

Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): H&R RSB, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstien B4 Shocks, RS3 Brake ducts, RBF600 and Hawk Performance pads, CTS Intercooler, APR Stage 1 (91 HT), Nuespeed P-flo Intake, RS7 NGK spark plugs.

Big willow is at the top of the list for bucket list tracks in the USA. I have only messed around in sim, but I can't imagine a faster complex then 8 and 9 there.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
6/27/2021
Track name: Thompson Speedway Motorsports Park
Track location: Thompson CT
Lap time: 1:27.1
Year/model: 2016 Golf R DSG
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3600 (I have a passenger in my car)
Estimated wheel horsepower: 300
Fuel: 93 + octane booster
Tire size and model: 255/35/18 roasted Accelera 651 Sport 200TW on 8.5" wheels
Estimated ambient temperature: 85 deg
Notes on setup: Full Details Here - Stratified Tune, Bilstein B6 Dampers, Eurosport Camber things, 24mm RSB, Pagid RSL29, RS3 ducts

I managed to avoid the mechanical quips I dealt with last week in this car. I kept an eye on oil throughout the day, and topped it up around lunch. Seems like I went through 1/2 qt for the full day, so I may start looking into the BL PCV or catch can solutions. I ran octane booster in the morning and, 1.5 gallons of race fuel in the afternoon, which was able to keep the knock readings in check. Apart from my first session, I spent the day in the advanced run group, which allowed for some fun passing and skilled drivers to attempt to chase down. I managed to cord the Accelera 651's after 7 track hours + some autox and street driving. Surprisingly, the inside edges displayed the worst wear, so I suspect that I'm adding throttle too early on corner exit, lighting up the inside wheels that are effectively at very negative camber under roll. Hung out with a few other MQB bros, but we were all in different run groups. I found that traction control was mostly unoffensive, so I left it off for the day. I was struggling with the T4 hairpin, and I'm sure I was still leaving time on the table with the entry of T9.

PXL_20210628_021205713.jpg
PXL_20210627_141226633.jpg

Last edited:

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
My best times have come from chasing a faster car.

Well done!
Thanks! It is also a blast, right? Just back from Summit Point Main and same thing....new PB, this time chasing a Mustang that was a tad faster than me most of the day.
Will be posting data later today and video later this week.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Did another Track Night in America event at PIR. Heavy use and 95 degree heat made the track pretty greasy, but managed to hit my best lap time yet in the 3rd session (and a new top speed of 124.6mph on the back straight). Despite the heat, we had few incidents and I believe only one car had to catch a ride home on a flatbed. Was happy I added the intercooler and RS3 brake ducts since our last session.

Nice driving! Looks like a pretty fun track. One of these years I have to do a west coast swing (Laguna is on my bucket list) and hit some of these tracks.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
First Track Day!

More fuel to eventually do a west coast swing with my R.

Is that your first track day ever, or just this season? If first ever, that is especially tasty. So are you now hooked?

105 degrees?(!) How did the car like the end of the sessions and the end of the day?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Two personal bests on two different tracks in the same month. ;>) I'm a happy guy who loves his car.

Great day at Seat Time at Summit Point. It's a terrific event. Advanced drivers only, 8 sessions (my nephew and I ran in 7), two run groups "competition" and "street", open passing with point bys and therefore tons of track time with very good aware drivers. Nice people as well, but that's pretty much the case at 98% of all events.

I've been tracking since 1998 and have tried more tires than I can recount. The Falken 660's (heat cycled) are way up there on my short "like list" of tires. I bought them because there was no stock in A052's. A little less feedback than Cup 2's, especially at the limit, but they handle the heat better, are just as grippy if not more, are much less expensive, and are wearing great after almost 200 laps at Lime Rock and Summit. I was going to try Nitto's or A052's but I think I'm sold. They never gave up the ghost late in the session or day, which I found with the Cup 2's and RE71R's. My best lap was the very last lap of a 7 session day with temps in the 80's. Totally fine for the street as well, where the Cup 2's were OK and RE71's were terrible. I had 8 laps better than my prior PB.

I can also highly recommend the Ferodo DS3.12 / DS1.11 combo for those wanting to go a few steps up from the DS2500's.

6/25/21
Track name: Summit Point Main
Track location: Summit Point, WV
Lap time: 1:27.33 (0.65 faster than prior PB)
Year/model: 2017
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3550
Estimated wheel horsepower: 325
Fuel: 93
Tire size and model: 225/40/18 Falken 660
Estimated ambient temperature: low-80's
Notes on setup: APR Stage 1, camber plates, IC, rear sway, APR Ground Control springs, pads: Ferodo DS3.12 F, DS 1.11 R & Castrol SRF fluid, stock brakes, & shocks.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

Waltari

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I've created a Google Form that people can fill out and submit instead of me having to update the spreadsheet in the future. If it doesn't work well, I'll just make the spreadsheet shareable so anyone can update. I assume we're all mature enough to not be modifying or deleting other's times, lol.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...OGwVswm7wstL9S6ModzDr34w/viewform?usp=sf_link
Thanks man, I appreciate you organizing this. I went in and added my most recent/best time and info for Portland International Raceway. Is it best to make one entry for yourself per track with your personal best at that location or is it ok to make multiple entries for one track if you have made significant vehicle changes/updates between dates at that track (ie, you added a tune or switched wheels/tires etc). I noticed a few where folks were posting multiple times at the same track.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Thanks man, I appreciate you organizing this. I went in and added my most recent/best time and info for Portland International Raceway. Is it best to make one entry for yourself per track with your personal best at that location or is it ok to make multiple entries for one track if you have made significant vehicle changes/updates between dates at that track (ie, you added a tune or switched wheels/tires etc). I noticed a few where folks were posting multiple times at the same track.
I would say if you made some modifications/setup changes then go ahead and add a new time. It’s useful to see time differences with different mods. If no setup changes, just update the time. I’ll make the spreadsheet shareable so everyone can make edits.

@tpellegr, can you add the google form to the first post?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I've created a Google Form that people can fill out and submit instead of me having to update the spreadsheet in the future. If it doesn't work well, I'll just make the spreadsheet shareable so anyone can update. I assume we're all mature enough to not be modifying or deleting other's times, lol.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...OGwVswm7wstL9S6ModzDr34w/viewform?usp=sf_link
This is excellent. Great forum topic with useful info.

Should we update starting today and going forward, or from prior few days posts? Also, is it updating THIS? Or will there be a new spreadsheet?

Thanks again.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
I would say if you made some modifications/setup changes then go ahead and add a new time. It’s useful to see time differences with different mods. If no setup changes, just update the time. I’ll make the spreadsheet shareable so everyone can make edits.

@tpellegr, can you add the google form to the first post?
Just updated the first post with the google form. Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to change.

Thx, @Will_ .