GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Finally don't have to worry about where I park now!

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
One random thing I remember is that after I got the car back from the shop. I had this weird rattling that had never been there before. Turns out, my exhaust had popped out of one of the hangers towards the front.
It was a pretty mild impact, but still enough to knock it loose. I think I hvae seen at least one other person mention that, so something to remember....
Thanks. I have not heard any rattles or anything so I think I'm OK. Once it's repaired, however.... No telling what I'll end up with!

I wish I had a rear facing camera to have recorded the impact and if she was paying attention, sleeping, or what. Guess I need to add that to the list of things to do....

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Thanks. I have not heard any rattles or anything so I think I'm OK. Once it's repaired, however.... No telling what I'll end up with!

I wish I had a rear facing camera to have recorded the impact and if she was paying attention, sleeping, or what. Guess I need to add that to the list of things to do....
I have been trying to pick one out. A case of too many options. Every time I think I have decided, another pops up on my radar.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Are the parking sensors in your rear bumper still working? Dealing with those can drive the cost of repairs up real fast.

As for a camera, get a dual channel blackvue and dont look back.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Are the parking sensors in your rear bumper still working? Dealing with those can drive the cost of repairs up real fast.

As for a camera, get a dual channel blackvue and dont look back.
Yep, everything (as far as I can tell so far) is working fine. I think the reason the car was so undamaged was that I was preparing to move and just started to take my foot off the brake so the bumper didn't take the brunt of the impact and I bounced off her car, moving forward so much of the impact was taken out in movement of the whole car. If you keep your foot firmly planted on the brake during a rear impact, the car has no choice but to dissipate the energy by the bumper and anything else in the vicinity crushing whereas letting the brake go allows the car to move forward instead. The impact really felt hard so I was surprised to see it wasn't "that" bad.

Thanks for the camera suggestion. I'll look into it.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
So she had no way to verify her identity? How do you know it was she who rented the car? Could have been a friend or even stolen. Always call po-po every time. You can negotiate with insurance companies later.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
So she had no way to verify her identity? How do you know it was she who rented the car? Could have been a friend or even stolen. Always call po-po every time. You can negotiate with insurance companies later.
She had a California ID card but not a driver's license. Without a rental agreement, there was no way to tell if she was the one who rented it but that wasn't really my concern as there's nothing I can do about that. That's what I pay my insurance company for and they handled it as I expected. I had her ID, I had the car's registration (clearly owned by the rental company which is of course insured) and I had pictures and a witness so there was no need to call the police. Besides, unless there were injuries or serious damage, the CHP really shouldn't be bothered with trivial accidents. My day was bad enough so I wasn't in the mood to make her life worse. I just wanted to get to my destination.

Estimate to repair my car is about $2500 which is mostly bumper, crush panel behind the bumper, diverter (didn't look broken so it must have cracked where you can't see), dent removal and painting of the hatch and all the bits needed to do all that. Most expensive item is the bumper at about $360. Diverter is $190. Most everything else is labor.

krvnked

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5
am i missing something? why didnt you call the police? are you very young or something? driving under the influence? were you concerned about the other person citizenship? you like paying thousands of dollars for no reason and fucking your shit up?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
He is a nice person, clear through his posts, and that’s great. Many of us are not. I don’t think anyone said go Karen, well maybe one did. Asking for CHP when shit is fishy, that’s just normal to me.

No DL, no insurance, “spaced out” while driving, and in Marin Co... yeah CHP would have been brought in. Only way I would have done an exchange and go, is if the person had their valid DL, their valid registration, their valid insurance, for their car, and wasn’t lost on basic reality. She was doing everything she could to play the hurt baby bird so you’d let her GTFO without trouble.

As for the repairs, personally my car, especially an R, would be at one of the high-end body shops that will do more than a bondo-and-go, and only with OEM parts.

but that’s me, OP is clearly not as callous as I am.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
am i missing something? why didnt you call the police? are you very young or something? driving under the influence? were you concerned about the other person citizenship? you like paying thousands of dollars for no reason and fucking your shit up?
Wow. Nice way to turn this into an attack on me. I was not interested in "sticking it to her" and that, given I have a perfectly capable insurance company, I did not need to deal with any additional hassles up in the Bay Area. As evidenced by the outcome - my insurance has contacted hers, have arranged for them to pay for repairs, the repairs I'm getting are guaranteed for the life of my ownership of the car and I'm completely taken care of - this seems to be *exactly* why I pay "thousands of dollars" for insurance. That's not "no reason." Why pay for insurance for decades if you're not going to use it?

I looked it up - Last time I got hit was in 1989 and since then I've paid over $42,000 for insurance. I think they can fix my car for $2500, don't you?
He is a nice person, clear through his posts, and that’s great. Many of us are not. I don’t think anyone said go Karen, well maybe one did. Asking for CHP when shit is fishy, that’s just normal to me.

No DL, no insurance, “spaced out” while driving, and in Marin Co... yeah CHP would have been brought in. Only way I would have done an exchange and go, is if the person had their valid DL, their valid registration, their valid insurance, for their car, and wasn’t lost on basic reality. She was doing everything she could to play the hurt baby bird so you’d let her GTFO without trouble.

As for the repairs, personally my car, especially an R, would be at one of the high-end body shops that will do more than a bondo-and-go, and only with OEM parts.

but that’s me, OP is clearly not as callous as I am.
All of this is basically correct. I really wanted to call the cops but given my location on the freeway, the time we'd be waiting for the CHP given the stop and go traffic and the time of day, the fact I was not in the mood to sit around waiting (I noted I was there for a death in the family - it had just happened and I was between the hospital and my dad's house and just wanted to get my nephew dropped off and have a beer) and I had gotten all the pertinent info I needed (ID, registration of the car, pictures), I was OK with just moving on.

I didn't really describe it but she did seem to legitimately be out of it a bit. She might have been intoxicated or sleepy or otherwise impaired but did not seem to be playing the hurt bird. I did look her up on Facebook and see that she hangs out with some unsavory characters so, in my opinion, it's probably a good idea that I avoided any later confrontation with her since she also knows who *I* am. Best to just let the insurance company handle everything.

I can definitely be quite callous and am basically a misanthrope through and through but I don't get off on being a dick to people so decided I'd just let it all go and have the insurance handle it, plain and simple. I mean, if she was driving without a real license or the rental agreement did not list her as a driver of the car or she really had no insurance, then she's already gonna be in a lot of pain from her insurance and the rental company so why add to that?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Wow. Nice way to turn this into an attack on me. I was not interested in "sticking it to her" and that, given I have a perfectly capable insurance company, I did not need to deal with any additional hassles up in the Bay Area. As evidenced by the outcome - my insurance has contacted hers, have arranged for them to pay for repairs, the repairs I'm getting are guaranteed for the life of my ownership of the car and I'm completely taken care of - this seems to be *exactly* why I pay "thousands of dollars" for insurance. That's not "no reason." Why pay for insurance for decades if you're not going to use it?

I looked it up - Last time I got hit was in 1989 and since then I've paid over $42,000 for insurance. I think they can fix my car for $2500, don't you?

All of this is basically correct. I really wanted to call the cops but given my location on the freeway, the time we'd be waiting for the CHP given the stop and go traffic and the time of day, the fact I was not in the mood to sit around waiting (I noted I was there for a death in the family - it had just happened and I was between the hospital and my dad's house and just wanted to get my nephew dropped off and have a beer) and I had gotten all the pertinent info I needed (ID, registration of the car, pictures), I was OK with just moving on.

I didn't really describe it but she did seem to legitimately be out of it a bit. She might have been intoxicated or sleepy or otherwise impaired but did not seem to be playing the hurt bird. I did look her up on Facebook and see that she hangs out with some unsavory characters so, in my opinion, it's probably a good idea that I avoided any later confrontation with her since she also knows who *I* am. Best to just let the insurance company handle everything.

I can definitely be quite callous and am basically a misanthrope through and through but I don't get off on being a dick to people so decided I'd just let it all go and have the insurance handle it, plain and simple. I mean, if she was driving without a real license or the rental agreement did not list her as a driver of the car or she really had no insurance, then she's already gonna be in a lot of pain from her insurance and the rental company so why add to that?
Depending on what she looked like I might have wanted to stick it to her. 😂

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

Wasn’t trying to attack you at all, sorry if I spun it that way. I was not on the scene so, who knows, maybe I would have handled in the same way. 🤷‍♂️

Bront would have invited her to his service bay for a deep mayoing.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Wasn’t trying to attack you at all, sorry if I spun it that way. I was not on the scene so, who knows, maybe I would have handled in the same way. 🤷‍♂️

Bront would have invited her to his service bay for a deep mayoing.
He would’ve. No doubt.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
@kevinkar its funny you mention paying premiums and then making a claim. I got into a no fault accident, yes I live in one of those states, so this means we’re both on our own. No problem. I pay huge premiums right? I get my car fixed to the tune of $6300 or something. My insurance company sends me half my deductible back since they got have the money back from the other, not sure how that works, but whatever.

I was with this company for over 20 years. Paid on time, every time. Never a missed or late payment, never a claim and that’s logging a crap ton of miles between work and personal driving.

Renewal comes around and they jack my rates up. I’m on the phone over an hour trying to understand their justification. Basically all they kept parroting was I placed a claim higher than my deductible so my rates go up for the next three years. I tell them the same thing, I’ve paid and never claimed, I have paid my portion over the years time for you to pay yours. I was told in no uncertain terms insurance doesn’t work that way. Unrelated, not the first time I have been told this about insurance in general, not just auto policy.

I was dumbfounded by this. So I’m required to have it, I just get screwed for using it. Got it.