GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anybody have a possible Iabed Rear Main Seal leak after less than 20k miles and 2yrs?

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
I have grown not to take what most people on the forums say as the "only way to go", just because I have seen so many failures of parts that were deemed "the only way to go" from so many forum members. I feel a lot more confident in my OEM RMS not leaking than I do with the iAbed RMS, but that's just only speaking for myself.

I had no idea that there was a different install tool. It must be that the new install tools diameter is a lot smaller to fit the new updated OEM RMS version, because the new OEM RMS's inner diameter wouldn't even fit over my install tools smallest diameter part. I think that's so stupid how the VW dealership didn't even let me know that there was a newer version install tool that went along with the new updated OEM RMS. Either way, I find it so odd that the new updated OEM RMS actually could fit onto the crank hub because it was so much smaller. That inner rubber lip would be stretched so far out that I don't now if I would've even felt confident with the new OEM RMS given how far it needed to stretch on the one rubber part that's supposed to prevent the leak. Maybe it does. I would need to see it installed in person to really grasp the idea behind it.

I have also come to not trust shops either. I am sure there are performance shops that know their stuff on this car, but I have yet to find one that really knows what they're talking about. The amount of things that I have had to figure out on my own with success, that these VW and European shops weren't able to with this car, is crazy! I don't know if it's a VW thing, because this never happened with my BMW's, but it seems like a lot of VW tech's have very small knowledge in this platform. I am glad you trust a shop enough to have them install the iAbed RMS and work on your car. For me, I take shops recommendations as low value. I hope your RMS doesn't leak, and if mine does, I will make sure I let you know.

I don't have any links. I just remember seeing a post or two a while back with it leaking. That's another reason why I just stick with OEM. That and the oil pan too. Too many people thinking a steel pan will be better, and then having leaks all the time...not worth the hassle.

I just don't understand why the slave? TOB's on this car are so bad! Why? Its not a piece that is hard to design and test. So why are we as the users having to buy these expensive kits, and having the most plain piece of the kit failing on us so often? It blows my mind, and is frustrating given the cost of these jobs! I hope our doesn't fail in the near future because I'm at my wits end with these clutch part failures with this car! The thought of selling my GTI has come across my mind so many times due to the clutch, but its hard to sell because its such a fun car to drive when its driving well! And to find anything else this fast, fun, ergonomic, practical, and economical, for cheaper, won't ever happen. I've put too much money into it to sell it for cheap, and even if I did sell it for 20k (prices on manual MK7 GTI's have gone up quite a bit in the last year)(not sure if you knew this or not), and bought a 10k car, I wouldn't be saving that much money in the long run, but then I'm stuck with a boring car to drive that gives me nothing buy A to B commute status.
Thanks, I agree with your sentiments..But I ultimately made the choice to stick with the Iabed and hopefully everything works out. knock on wood!

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
It's the parts suppliers, fellows. There are two components that routinely fail on Volkswagens, clutch components (RMS, TOB) and waterpumps. Some owners never experience a problem with either; others experience both more than once. Could VW AG demand better parts and replacements from their suppliers? Of course. The Japanese do. But VW is selling millions of Golfs, GTI & Rs each year, and the vast majority of owners do not experience a problem with either. Thus, there's virtually no incentive to spend additional millions -- cost per unit manufactured -- for better components when only a minor percentage of owners will experience a component failure. It's been this way since 1975.

Blueballs

Go Kart Newbie
It's the parts suppliers, fellows. There are two components that routinely fail on Volkswagens, clutch components (RMS, TOB) and waterpumps. Some owners never experience a problem with either; others experience both more than once. Could VW AG demand better parts and replacements from their suppliers? Of course. The Japanese do. But VW is selling millions of Golfs, GTI & Rs each year, and the vast majority of owners do not experience a problem with either. Thus, there's virtually no incentive to spend additional millions -- cost per unit manufactured -- for better components when only a minor percentage of owners will experience a component failure. It's been this way since 1975.
Disagree, hence why VW continually REVISES items 👍

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I had no idea that there was a different install tool. It must be that the new install tools diameter is a lot smaller to fit the new updated OEM RMS version, because the new OEM RMS's inner diameter wouldn't even fit over my install tools smallest diameter part. I think that's so stupid how the VW dealership didn't even let me know that there was a newer version install tool that went along with the new updated OEM RMS. Either way, I find it so odd that the new updated OEM RMS actually could fit onto the crank hub because it was so much smaller. That inner rubber lip would be stretched so far out that I don't now if I would've even felt confident with the new OEM RMS given how far it needed to stretch on the one rubber part that's supposed to prevent the leak. Maybe it does. I would need to see it installed in person to really grasp the idea behind it.
Thanks, I agree with your sentiments..But I ultimately made the choice to stick with the Iabed and hopefully everything works out. knock on wood!

Any update @Blueballs and @Golf7RR on the status of your RMS?

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Good so far.Knock on wood!..DBV2 TBB went though and had it replaced. It's a money pit when you start modifying.

Good to hear. I have my transmission off, waiting on my clutch to get back from a rebuild, and the iABED RMS was leaking, looking to get a new one swapped in.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Good to hear. I have my transmission off, waiting on my clutch to get back from a rebuild, and the iABED RMS was leaking, looking to get a new one swapped in.
They can't leak if they are installed correctly.

Reactions: krs

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
They can't leak if they are installed correctly.

Yeah, I've installed so many rear main seals in my life into various engines, and never had any issues. Not sure why this one is perceived to be so technical that it's prone to leaking again.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

Wish I knew. I’m not new to in depth mechanics and working on vehicles. I’ve installed plenty of rear mains, across numerous platforms. I used the tool, the right amount of sealant, made sure it wasn’t folded over.

I really don’t have the time to pull the transmission again, so I’m going to take it to the Indy shop, and have them install a revised OEM one.

Only thought is if there’s something else going on mechanically to cause it. When I bought the car at 17k miles, it already had a SB clutch and iABED seal installed at 15k, and it was leaking shortly after I brought the car home.