GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jack Failure

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Has anyone had an issue with the standard supply jack which came with their Golf from the factory?

Reason I ask? Mine failed, in use, this morning... Car still had 4 wheels on it fortunately, we had tipped it up to drain the coolant from it and were in the process of lowering it when it dropped by about 3 inches.

It's barely been used, I'd have expected a component like that to have lasted the age of the car - given that I was intending on doing some more work to the brakes on it later on today, the safety implications of that could have been particularly severe...

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
They call it the widow maker for a reason....don't ever use that thing unless a dire emergency. All of us have a low profile jack at home to use instead of that POS. Glad you weren't under the car, but seriously....for our sake....please don't ever use that thing again.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yeah. Outside of a changing a flat on the side of the road, that jack shouldn't be used for anything else. Best to just spend $50 - $100 and buy an actual jack if you do anything that requires lifting the car.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Well, it's knackered anyway so it will be hitting the bin - I believe the threads have broken somewhere..

With my Dad being a mechanical engineer, we were prepared for it anyway - we'd used it to lift the car but we'd propped it up on actual supports before doing anything else. Not sure if I should report it to them or not - I doubt they'll do anything considering the age of the car...

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks for the face-palm but this is brand new information to me - how else do we learn these things if we don't ask?
All in good fun, but I mean just look at it! Does that thing look like it was built for any sustained use?

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Is it the same jack as supplied on UK cars; a 'scissor jack' ?. If so, while not a brilliant item I've used it a few times on current and previous Mk7 Golfs, to change wheels due to puncture, rotate wheels, etc. Like I said defo not a quality tool (to say the least) , I've always (always) used stands at home and have never (ever) got under any car while only supported by any jack but the OPs OEM Jack just could have been faulty, it certainly should be up to the job of hoisting the car to change a wheel. Not a 'VW jack fanboy' by any means and an improved quality jack (not difficult) is a good investment for the home mechanic / enthusiast, but thought the '7-shaped' jack on Mk5 was much better.....

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Live and learn, at least you werent like my buddy who dropped an RX7 on his hand and almost lost half his fingers because of it

These things are death traps. I will call a tow truck before using one to change a flat on the side of the road

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I just googled the stock jack.... WTF.

I have a 3.5t Arcan and I still use jack stands for a quick wheel change.

That stock jack is fucking frightening.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the face-palm but this is brand new information to me - how else do we learn these things if we don't ask?
With my Dad being a mechanical engineer, we were prepared for it anyway -

really??....if your dad is a mechanical engineer & has been driving cars for how many years??..& still doesn't know that the jacks supplied with cars are cheap as chips "just in case" emergency stuff, .....:unsure:

Last edited:

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Live and learn, at least you werent like my buddy who dropped an RX7 on his hand and almost lost half his fingers because of it

These things are death traps. I will call a tow truck before using one to change a flat on the side of the road

Yeah, if I'm not on level paved ground, those are a no go.

Lth0ms0n

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2013 Golf GTD
Is it the same jack as supplied on UK cars; a 'scissor jack' ?. If so, while not a brilliant item I've used it a few times on current and previous Mk7 Golfs, to change wheels due to puncture, rotate wheels, etc. Like I said defo not a quality tool (to say the least) , I've always (always) used stands at home and have never (ever) got under any car while only supported by any jack but the OPs OEM Jack just could have been faulty, it certainly should be up to the job of hoisting the car to change a wheel. Not a 'VW jack fanboy' by any means and an improved quality jack (not difficult) is a good investment for the home mechanic / enthusiast, but thought the '7-shaped' jack on Mk5 was much better.....
Thank you... One would expect the tool to be able to change a wheel at the side of the road for the life of the car, given that's what it's supplied for..