GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch help (I know, I know. I searched first.)

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
If you can source a LUK self-adjusting TTRS pressure plate (which is the pressure plate HS Tuning uses), that will pretty much complete your setup. The disc in the regular RSR kit is lacking and will be the biggest failure point, the Hybrid disc is an unsprung kevlar disc so quite aggressive.

I have the SRE in my car now and it's doing great with my IS38 setup, so I'm a bit biased but still recommend it at its price point. A clutch is a consumable item which won't last forever but your driving style will dictate how much life you'll get out of it.

If I was looking for a "set it and forget it" type of deal, then I'd look at a single mass setup such as the Southbend Stage 3 daily for not too much extra $.

blaqsheep said:
Try your luck sourcing a TTRS pressure plate and it will pair up nicely with the SRE disc I sold you. If not, get the SRE pressure plate and call it a day and enjoy stage 2 power :)

Huge thank you @blaqsheep for all the super useful info. Sorry you had to go through 3 clutch installs though. And thank you to OP @Boje as well for this very helpful thread.

After going in circles as others have, I think I've settled on Sachs SRE for my situation/use - going EQT Stage1 93oct and unlikely to go much bigger as it is my DD and want close to factory driveability and reliability.

Some questions:
- Is this the part number for the LuK self-adjusting TTRS pressure plate you are talking about?
- Is the advantage of the Luk PP over the Sachs SRE PP more overhead for torque using the same Sachs SRE full face unsprung organic disc (ie: it will handle more than the 405 lb/ft of the all SRE kit)?
- Sachs SRE kit (SRE PP & SRE disc) is rated at 405 lb/ft. I couldn't find info on the Luk PP, so I assume it is the same as the HST RSR which is 550 lb/ft?

I'm trying to decide if the LuK PP is worth the extra expense over the Sachs SRE PP. If the LuK part # I linked above is correct, then it is currently $565 CAD shipped and the Sachs SRE PP from FCP Euro is $510 CAD shipped, so only $55 CAD difference, but FCP gives lifetime replacement also...

I guess next question is whether I will need to change the PP again in the next 150k miles as I'm hoping that's how much longer the car on EQT Stage1 will last me...

Does anyone know a rough ballpark on how many miles the Sachs SRE organic disc should last if it is not abused? I'm pretty easy on my clutches as I got 155k miles from my Mk4 GTI clutch and 185k miles from my EG Civic clutch with no hint of slippage on either.

One last question - should I change my flywheel while I'm at it? It only has about 40k stock tune miles on it. Not trying to cheap out, but OEM flywheel is going to be another ~$530 CAD (~$385 USD), so not an insignificant amount.

TIA, cheers.

FooDogg

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S 6MT
Boje- great post thank you!
Are you the guy on vortex that hit a deer with GTI and now in an Alltrack?

Beautiful pics by the way, please post or link to more back country roads!

Boje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Boje- great post thank you!
Are you the guy on vortex that hit a deer with GTI and now in an Alltrack?

Beautiful pics by the way, please post or link to more back country roads!
I am not, but thanks!!