GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Thread derailed.....ugly car discussion and blue holes.....

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Teslas are for people that hate driving, no matter how fast they are. On one end they're trying to show you how wickedly fast they are. Then on the other end, they're trying to be autonomous where you don't even need to drive the car... yay! How does that work?

Listen, Teslas are iPhones with wheels. They've for the general public who have $$$, don't like tinkering and just want to go from point A to B ideally, without even having to drive the car.

If Tesla could work on a more driver oriented experience, I might consider them, but as of now, I feel like they're against the car enthusiast and cater to people that have $$$ and don't care about the actual driving experience.

The model 3 performance is really fun to drive. Buddy of mine recently sold his dual pulley b8 s4 for one. He has a lift in his garage and does all his own work. If he offered it in a straight up trade for my R I'd do it in a heart beat.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Isn't there a factory pressure plate and clutch combo everyone used to do?

And if Cobb can come up with decent TC, VW should be embarrassed with theirs.
The TTRS. I had it, it’s heavy and good. Easy to use, lots of engagement feel and can basically dump it with or with no throttle.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Isn't there a factory pressure plate and clutch combo everyone used to do?

And if Cobb can come up with decent TC, VW should be embarrassed with theirs.

2nd gen ttrs clutch with the pressure plate out of some tdi? or vice versa? I understand VW not adding it, the current setup handles stock power fine and vw could give 2 shits about aftermarket power levels. Even with them its not a great transmission, nothing they have access to is going to turn it into an s2000 shifting experience is more what I was getting at.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Teslas are for people that hate driving, no matter how fast they are. On one end they're trying to show you how wickedly fast they are. Then on the other end, they're trying to be autonomous where you don't even need to drive the car... yay! How does that work?

Listen, Teslas are iPhones with wheels with all the technology they pack in them. They've for the general public who have $$$, don't like tinkering and just want to go from point A to B ideally, without even having to drive the car.

If Tesla could work on a more driver oriented experience, I might consider them, but as of now, I feel like they're against the car enthusiast and cater to people that have $$$ and don't care about the actual driving experience.
Welcome to the very near future. Soon that's all there will be.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
2nd gen ttrs clutch with the pressure plate out of some tdi? or vice versa? I understand VW not adding it, the current setup handles stock power fine and vw could give 2 shits about aftermarket power levels. Even with them its not a great transmission, nothing they have access to is going to turn it into an s2000 shifting experience is more what I was getting at.

I'd disagree that it handles stock power fine.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Manual mk8 Rs are being tuned down to 280hp instead of the 315hp dsg cars will have.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Manual mk8 Rs are being tuned down to 280hp instead of the 315hp dsg cars will have.
As long as that's just a software issue and we're not getting a different turbo or other hardware, who cares? A tune will obviously just ditch that silliness. The stock clutch is borked at either number anyway.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
As long as that's just a software issue and we're not getting a different turbo or other hardware, who cares? A tune will obviously just ditch that silliness. The stock clutch is borked at either number anyway.
Agreed. Clutch will have to be addressed

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Welcome to the very near future. Soon that's all there will be.

Yeah, it does worry me a tad. Need to take in all the moments now while they're available.

I think Joe Rogan mentioned on one of his shows, that of all the cars he owns, he has like this 1970s Porsche that is just crazy mechanical and isn't the fastest car in the world but his favorite to drive. He says you feel everything in the car and the connection to the car is like no other that he owns. This is kind of what I try to preach in regards to having more control over a car, even if it is a manual in this day and age.

Sadly in the future, people will have no clue about this because they'll just not exist. They'll assume, we've always had our cars drive us everywhere for us without any interaction, lol. "WHAAAAT, you actually had to control your car???? What the hell kind of world did you live in???? That must of been AWFUL!" lol.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
hey'll assume, we've always had our cars drive us everywhere for us without any interaction, lol.

I don't think we ever get to a point where everything is fully autonomous. interstate travel maybe, but not city driving. they have to find a solve for the not insignificant number of people who get motion sickness in self driving cars and I haven't seen anything indicating they're close to solving it.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
I don't think we ever get to a point where everything is fully autonomous. interstate travel maybe, but not city driving. they have to find a solve for the not insignificant number of people who get motion sickness in self driving cars and I haven't seen anything indicating they're close to solving it.

I thought would they would have to do is rebuild our entire road infrastructure from the ground up. Have like specific lanes that are designed to be read by the car and that is what keeps everyone in check. Like a grid or something. The hard part to take into consideration are all those side/back roads and uneven terrain though again, I think they'll just have to redo EVERYTHING so literally, it is no longer about the human involved but the car and how it can traverse over the terrain it is presented with.

There would have to be a manual mode though because there will be plenty of instances where you just need to drive where you need to. Just to build something like this would require you off the grid, lol.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
To think that all the pontification and appreciation of the more metaphysical aspects of automobile operation sprang from a public shaming of a Civic by a Golf hopefully proves that car enthusiasm will live on when even blowjobs will be strictly performed by AI.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
To think that all the pontification and appreciation of the more metaphysical aspects of automobile operation sprang from a public shaming of a Civic by a Golf hopefully proves that car enthusiasm will live on when even blowjobs will be strictly performed by AI.

I welcome our AI overlords.