GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cup 2 Connect wear/grip update

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Just a note. That video is paid advertising by Goodyear. Not saying the conclusions are not valid -- just something to be aware of

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
I’ll echo Junkyard’s thoughts on the Goodyears. After being impressed with the 3R on my ZL1 1LE I decided to try a set on my M3. At VIR I was only a few tenths off my best time on Hoosier R7. A friend was running his ZL1 with SC3 following my ZLE with SC3R at Roebling. His pace was only about 1.5 seconds behind me, at a track where grip is everything. They also held up amazingly well to the abuse.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
A052 are great, tons of grip. At 2.2deg of camber the outer edge wear will definitely dictate how long they last. Not sure of your wheel width, but I'd recommend a bit of a stretch on the tire. The sidewall is hilariously soft, so putting more rim under it for support helps turn-in and the camber wear
Thanks. I'm running 2.4 degrees front 2.5 degrees rear with a narrow tire, 225's / 235's. I've hear a lot of great feeback talking to people at the tracks, so i think I'm going to give them a shot as my next tire.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Thanks. I'm running 2.4 degrees front 2.5 degrees rear with a narrow tire, 225's / 235's. I've hear a lot of great feeback talking to people at the tracks, so i think I'm going to give them a shot as my next tire.

My mistake, first post said -2.2deg camber. What rim width are you running? If you have an 8.5" I'd say 235 max is probably good, 225 would probably be slightly more crisp.

Also an FYI some sizes are on super backorder right now from TireRack

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
My mistake, first post said -2.2deg camber. What rim width are you running? If you have an 8.5" I'd say 235 max is probably good, 225 would probably be slightly more crisp.

Also an FYI some sizes are on super backorder right now from TireRack

Not your mistake. I've had camber increased slightly with new springs. It used to be 2.2 per OP, now 2.4 F, 2.5 R.

Enkei 18x8. 225 is my preferred width. A little disappointed now that I didn't go 8.5, but they have been fine.

Yes, I've also seen tire backorder issues. Appears to be pretty widespread with track tires (along with so many other things). Trying to stay ahead of it.

bfury5

Autocross Champion
Not your mistake. I've had camber increased slightly with new springs. It used to be 2.2 per OP, now 2.4 F, 2.5 R.

Enkei 18x8. 225 is my preferred width. A little disappointed now that I didn't go 8.5, but they have been fine.

Yes, I've also seen tire backorder issues. Appears to be pretty widespread with track tires (along with so many other things). Trying to stay ahead of it.
The more camber the better! 225 would be solid with the 8" rim, 235 would probably bulge a bit. Hope you get your hands on them and enjoy!

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
How is the NVH of the Cup2's on the way to and from the track? I'm considering a set, and it would be nice if I could use the same tire for street and track driving. I don't put many street miles on the Golf in the summer, and want something grippier than PS4S or ECS.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
How is the NVH of the Cup2's on the way to and from the track? I'm considering a set, and it would be nice if I could use the same tire for street and track driving. I don't put many street miles on the Golf in the summer, and want something grippier than PS4S or ECS.
I think they are great on the road considering their performance on track. I have hit some heavy rains and they are fine. I wouldn't want to set speed records in heavy rain, but I felt totally under control and safe, even with the negative camber. Both my wife and I find no issues with NVH. I never swap tires for the track, so they are great choice for me.

So far, in almost every way they are a small step up from the Cup2's (non Connect) on track and a slightly bigger step up on the street. Not quite up to PS4 street standards which are terrific, but the track tradeoffs make it well worth it.

Reactions: kep

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
This is all base on my track car, the Camaro ZL1 1LE. I run about 2.7 camber in the front there 2.0 rear with no front toe and slight rear toe in.
I am a driving instructor so I track quite a lot, I can get about 2-3 full days out of a set of the 3Rs on the Camaro, and from cars I have seen the 3, is double that.
The 3r vs 3 is good for almost two seconds depending on the track obviously. But its comparing a 100tw practically slick tire from a 220tw daily drivable track tire.

I have driven on the Cup 2 and cup 2 Connect and its quite a handful at the limit for me.

The Cup 2 is on par with the supercar 3, and the 3R is essentially a Hoosier with some grooves cut in it.

This is a great video comparing some of the top tires for track use.

That is the video that started me looking at GY as an option.

Just checked tire rack and the 3 does not come in a user friendly size for the GTi. Frustrating!!
Based on your comparison to the Cup 2, you had got me curious about the 3’s. A052’s and RE71R’s will not hold up to a 30-min session at VIR.

If you are getting 3-days on a set of 3R’s, I would like to think I could double that in the lighter GTi at VIR which is relatively kind on tires.

I want to step up the grip level from my NT01’s with the added hp from the IS38. Toyo R888R’s would be a lateral move at best.
Toyo RR’s come in my prefferred size 255-35-18 and are priced the same as the R888R’s. From what I understand, they will last longer than R7’s at $100 less a corner.

Not too many other tire options.

Last edited:

Junkyardspecial

Passed Driver's Ed
That is the video that started me looking at GY as an option.

Just checked tire rack and the 3 does not come in a user friendly size for the GTi. Frustrating!!
Based on your comparison to the Cup 2, you had got me curious about the 3’s. A052’s and RE71R’s will not hold up to a 30-min session at VIR.

If you are getting 3-days on a set of 3R’s, I would like to think I could double that in the lighter GTi at VIR which is relatively kind on tires.

I want to step up the grip level from my NT01’s with the added hp from the IS38. Toyo R888R’s would be a slateral move at best.
Toyo RR’s come in my prefferred size 255-35-18 and are priced the same as the R888R’s. From what I understand, they will last longer than R7’s at $100 less a corner.

Not too many other tire options.
I believe they will start making more sizes soon, I bought some 17s for my GTI and have the sizing for the 3R but I think ill be just using some 200tw tires of my choosing first, since the Goodyears require such a premium, and my wallet wont like it if I am buying them for two cars.