GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

East Coast Pipeline Down

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Yes. The Colonial Pipeline was hit with a cyberattack several days ago. They shut the pipeline down. It supplies 45% of the gas, jet fuel, etc from Texas through the southeast and up to New York.

Just like the toilet paper scare of 2020, as so as the news started talking about it people freaked out and now they’re draining supplies rapidly.

Had everyone stayed calm this more than likely wouldn’t have been an issue.

Unfortunately, people did the opposite of that.

Yeah, I was aware of the issue with the pipeline, I more mean the gas buying panic. Either we're smart up here and not panicking, or we're just slow and behind the curve and haven't started panicking yet...

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Sad part is we shop like that every week since family of 6. 5 gallons of milk. 3 quarts of juice. Big box of baby wipes, ~10-15 lbs of chicken, ground beef etc. You get the gist.

Beginning of Covid, people asking "are you prepping?"

Nope. Just a normal weekly grocery shopping trip.

They probably thought I was lying until I mention family size and a lot of them were getting the same amount of stuff for 2.

Well, I'm glad I have a flex tune and can run e85 Just in case there are hoarders. Then again, there are a lot of flex fuel trucks

Rojito

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI SE MANUAL
Yeah, I was aware of the issue with the pipeline, I more mean the gas buying panic. Either we're smart up here and not panicking, or we're just slow and behind the curve and haven't started panicking yet...
Gotcha. No idea why it’s worse in the southeast.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I wonder if the hacking was done by Tesla cult followers??... :unsure: ....;):ROFLMAO:

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The media is really ramping up the panic with leading every news hour with "breaking news" about people already in gas lines.

Supposedly since NJ is the end of the pipeline we actually have a ton of gas already in storage so we'll see if people panic even where there isn't an actual supply crisis.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
The media is really ramping up the panic with leading every news hour with "breaking news" about people already in gas lines.

Supposedly since NJ is the end of the pipeline we actually have a ton of gas already in storage so we'll see if people panic even where there isn't an actual supply crisis.
No but they will raise prices just because. I hate living here. The government laughing all the way to the bank.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Gas is literally not possible to get in the Charlotte/Concord area in NC. Literally just yesterday I got gas like a normal human being. No panic, no lines, prices were relatively normal. And then today when I was out running around both of the stations near me had their pumps shutoff with "No Gas" signs out front, and the only two stations I could see that were open had lines for blocks. What in the world, the issue with the pipeline has been going on for days and all of a sudden people start panicking today?

Yeah, the Charlotte/Upstate SC border area is pretty much completely out of gas. I don't think the Governor of NC declaring a state of emergency helped much, nor is the local media doing anything to suppress panic.

I have no where to go, and the wife and I both filled up--completely at random--over the weekend, so I think I'll sit this one out.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I knew we should have kept our TDI .... :D

1620826449852.png

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I reckon the oil companies allowed this happen as the price of oil on the open market has dropped due to the lack of demand during the COVID-19 lockdowns...

Now the price has increased..... :unsure:

Oil prices rise on nagging fears of fuel shortages | Reuters

"The market is now concerned about the likelihood of such an event being repeated and about the severity of future attacks.".

No Sh1t Sherlock....but its good for the oil companies profits!!..;)

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I reckon the oil companies allowed this happen as the price of oil on the open market has dropped due to the lack of demand during the COVID-19 lockdowns...

Now the price has increased..... :unsure:

Oil prices rise on nagging fears of fuel shortages | Reuters

"The market is now concerned about the likelihood of such an event being repeated and about the severity of future attacks.".

No Sh1t Sherlock....but its good for the oil companies profits!!..;)
During Covid the price for a barrel of crude oil has gone from about $50 per barrel to $65 per barrel.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Local Costco was dry by the afternoon yesterday, but a tanker showed up in the evening.... the line was miles long (Buddy sent me a pic) immediately afterwards. Unreal. So far VA gas prices are holding steady