GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to Retro-Fit Illuminated Overhead Console Panel

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
I am extremely interested in this mod. I have a mk7.5 Rabbit (NAR), and miss the lit overhear panel of my mk5.
(I also miss the 2 red downlights (replaced with higher power, useful red leds).
My big question is:
How did you run the yellow trigger wire to the main rotary light switch? I am not enthused about yanking off interior panels if I can avoid it!

Last edited:

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
I am extremely interested in this mod. I have a mk7.5 Rabbit, and miss the lit overhear panel of my mk5.
(I also miss the 2 red downlights (replaced with higher power, useful red leds).
My big question is:
How did you run the yellow trigger wire to the main rotary light switch? I am not enthused about yanking off interior panels if I can avoid it!
I have a NAR spec MK7.5 GTI and I didn't have to run a trigger wire for it to work.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Does the driver’s side button function differently? The icons are different, it matches the “rear” button so is it safe to assume it works both front lights simultaneously rather than just the driver’s side?

Vinay

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf 7
In my car when i push the driver’s side button in the overhead both front lights go on. Very annoying because i only want the driver side to go on. Can i code this or something or is it in the overhead light different?

I have seen golfs where only driver goes on

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
On my rabbit (NAR) (4dr), front L/R buttons are keyed to the front L/R doors.
I miss the lit buttons, but consider the all interior lights on 1 button a necessary thing.
When getting pulled over, I like to turn on all interior lights without opening the doors.
Adding a 5th button to turn on all lights would be acceptable, if I could do a clean job of it.

Thanks for the confirmation on no trigger wire. I'm going to order the console.

Last edited:

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
In my car when i push the driver’s side button in the overhead both front lights go on. Very annoying because i only want the driver side to go on. Can i code this or something or is it in the overhead light different?

I have seen golfs where only driver goes on

+1

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
My understanding is the overhead panel driver's-side button in the 2015-2017 Mk7 illuminates both forward lights, and in 2018-2021 Mk7.5 illuminates only the driver's side. The trade-off of course is the Mk7 panel features backlit LED buttons where the Mk7.5 does not (which is why those of us with 7.5s often look to retrofit the older panel in.) For me it was a small sacrifice to have the lit buttons which honestly make a big difference. (As an aside, VW's logic here to save a few bucks makes zero sense to me... know when I most often need to turn the light on? When it's dark out. Know what I can't see when it's dark out? The glyph on gd button.)

lordnikon228

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Rabbit
My understanding is the overhead panel driver's-side button in the 2015-2017 Mk7 illuminates both forward lights, and in 2018-2021 Mk7.5 illuminates only the driver's side. The trade-off of course is the Mk7 panel features backlit LED buttons where the Mk7.5 does not (which is why those of us with 7.5s often look to retrofit the older panel in.) For me it was a small sacrifice to have the lit buttons which honestly make a big difference. (As an aside, VW's logic here to save a few bucks makes zero sense to me... know when I most often need to turn the light on? When it's dark out. Know what I can't see when it's dark out? The glyph on gd button.)

Yeah I agree. Just thought it was strange the functions of the buttons have changed.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Yeah I agree. Just thought it was strange the functions of the buttons have changed.
It's very strange. I'm not aware of any coding that changes this but if anyone figures it out, let me know! Would be the best of both worlds to have the buttons + segmented operation.

Rossylou

Car(s)
2020 GTI
I saw on the pics the two consoles (Mk7.5 and Mk7) Question : is the main power connector the same in both consoles? looks like that one with the blue board is bigger and different.

Michael gti07

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Rabbit Cornflowerblu
Just installed the lit console yesterday. So much better.
Strangely enough, the "x" pattern florish around the console's leds match the mk7.5 rear light holder "x" exactly!

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Two things:

1. I've swapped my standard roof light with LED one some time ago. I don't know if that's regional difference or maybe it's because I don't have electric roof window buttons, but I had a little foam element over there that was blanking a hole, which I assume was designed for ambient illumination of the center console.

Removed the foam, added LED with a resistor to bright down the brightness, powered from the term58 (dashboard illumination) and now I have a little bit more of light in the center console at night.

150782706_242357534049170_625060560894040373_n.jpg150310581_2623420987948265_303896607609439795_n.jpg

2. This kind of light is used in Golf, Passat, Arteon, most likely some Skoda cars. But in Passat and Arteon there's a higher version of roof light - one with ambient background illumination. And it can be fitted into MK7.

tMAAAgP57OA-960.jpgO8AAAgP57OA-960.jpg
Images source: https://www.drive2.ru/l/520060479796675215/

DallasDub94

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
18 GTI S
Just did this little mod. Such a major difference for a small part. Can find the buttons at night now. 🙂 Also took the time to put some makeshift insulation up there to reduce vibration/squeaking.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
Two things:

1. I've swapped my standard roof light with LED one some time ago. I don't know if that's regional difference or maybe it's because I don't have electric roof window buttons, but I had a little foam element over there that was blanking a hole, which I assume was designed for ambient illumination of the center console.

Removed the foam, added LED with a resistor to bright down the brightness, powered from the term58 (dashboard illumination) and now I have a little bit more of light in the center console at night.

View attachment 212790View attachment 212791

2. This kind of light is used in Golf, Passat, Arteon, most likely some Skoda cars. But in Passat and Arteon there's a higher version of roof light - one with ambient background illumination. And it can be fitted into MK7.

View attachment 212792View attachment 212793
Images source: https://www.drive2.ru/l/520060479796675215/
The arteon overhead console is really slick looking, but I’d hate to lose the sun glass holder for it.

I saw your post on Reddit a while back, it haven’t gotten around to buying the illuminated console to install the tiny ambient light LED mod you did.

One of these day I’ll take care of it