GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Golf mirror caps with side assist (Arteon style)

mattchat

Good info, thanks for this Cuzoe....kind of figured I would be getting into electonics again with this so I'll have to do some testing when I get some time later. The relay or a transistor /load resister might provide some options as well but I think I will have to keep the factory mirrors in order to keep the system happy. I was thinking of buying the wider angle mirrors but I guess that will not be possible without finding ones that have the BSM glass indicators as well. Oh well, nothing else to do during the pandemic. Thanks for the insight and diagrams. Glad this does not route through the BCM. I'll have to potentially run a higher voltage line though to power the new BSM will I not? Something that's switched through the relay? Wonder how much I need to draw. Could probably get supply through the fuse box somewhere....but would then need to resist the voltage.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
No problem, been waiting for someone else to get this working before I dig into it. When this thread first popped up I hadn't done the BSM retrofit yet. Had a bunch of mods going on at the same time though and didn't want to keep adding things to the list, haha.

5G0857521M - aspherical w/BSM - $45
5G0857522M - aspherical w/BSM - $41

Those were the part number and prices about a year ago when I ordered.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
No problem, been waiting for someone else to get this working before I dig into it. When this thread first popped up I hadn't done the BSM retrofit yet. Had a bunch of mods going on at the same time though and didn't want to keep adding things to the list, haha.

5G0857521M - aspherical w/BSM - $45
5G0857522M - aspherical w/BSM - $41

Those were the part number and prices about a year ago when I ordered.
Just bought these, can confirm those are the correct part #s

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I attached the drawing for the BSM/Lane Change Assist system. You are correct, the same sensors (J1086 and J1087) are responsible for Rear Cross Traffic alert. Per the drawing, this system is not connected to the BCM. I retrofitted BSM and it's a relatively isolated system, as compared to others on the car. Power and ground of course, and connection the gateway (extended CAN, J533).

As I mentioned, power to both indicators (VX66 and VX67), is provided by (one of) the monitors/modules itself, J1087. You have proven that it monitors the indicators, probably looking for the specific resistance provided by the factory LED indicators. You could (maybe) tap into the voltage line going to each indicator and use it to switch a relay that separately powers your housing mounted indicators. You would need to keep the factory ones connected though, and probably protect the existing system with a cheap diode. That way the modules see what they want so the system can be activated. And you get what you want (no fading of the housing indicators though).
View attachment 212225View attachment 212226

Excellent information :) . Looks like 2019 and 2021 NA Tiguans use different BSM control module part numbers. Wouldn't be surprised if you need them.

2021 Tiguan 3VV2B7AX5MM079791
Address 3C: Lane Change (J1086) Labels:* None
Part No SW: 2Q0 907 686 B HW: 2Q0 907 686 B
Component: HRE3_Kl15_Mst H06 0150
Serial number: 11230029698954
Coding: 52954640
ASAM Dataset: EV_HREntryHellaGen3Kl15 002001
ROD: EV_HREntryHellaGen3Kl15.rod
VCID: B924C6AEE9DA8B9308D-80EC

Lane change assistance control module 2:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 2Q0 907 685 B HW: 2Q0 907 685 B
Component: HRE3_Kl15_Slv H06 0150
Serial number: 11230030636650

No fault code found.

2019 Tiguan 3VV2B7AX8KM027763
Address 3C: Lane Change (J1086) Labels:| 5Q0-907-686.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 686 C HW: 5Q0 907 686 C
Component: HRE_Master H12 0081
Serial number: 0490464291
Coding: 01011103
Shop #: WSC 01383 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_HREntryHella 001028
ROD: EV_HREntryHella_VW37.rod
VCID: 3D2738165DFA1B3FE17-8068

Lane Change Assistant 2:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q0 907 685 C HW: 5Q0 907 685 C
Component: HRE_Slave H12 0081
Serial number: 0490944198
Coding: 010111

No fault code found.

mattchat

Excellent information :) . Looks like 2019 and 2021 NA Tiguans use different BSM control module part numbers. Wouldn't be surprised if you need them.

2021 Tiguan 3VV2B7AX5MM079791
Address 3C: Lane Change (J1086) Labels:* None
Part No SW: 2Q0 907 686 B HW: 2Q0 907 686 B
Component: HRE3_Kl15_Mst H06 0150
Serial number: 11230029698954
Coding: 52954640
ASAM Dataset: EV_HREntryHellaGen3Kl15 002001
ROD: EV_HREntryHellaGen3Kl15.rod
VCID: B924C6AEE9DA8B9308D-80EC

Lane change assistance control module 2:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 2Q0 907 685 B HW: 2Q0 907 685 B
Component: HRE3_Kl15_Slv H06 0150
Serial number: 11230030636650

No fault code found.

2019 Tiguan 3VV2B7AX8KM027763
Address 3C: Lane Change (J1086) Labels:| 5Q0-907-686.clb
Part No SW: 5Q0 907 686 C HW: 5Q0 907 686 C
Component: HRE_Master H12 0081
Serial number: 0490464291
Coding: 01011103
Shop #: WSC 01383 790 50316
ASAM Dataset: EV_HREntryHella 001028
ROD: EV_HREntryHella_VW37.rod
VCID: 3D2738165DFA1B3FE17-8068

Lane Change Assistant 2:
Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 5Q0 907 685 C HW: 5Q0 907 685 C
Component: HRE_Slave H12 0081
Serial number: 0490944198
Coding: 010111

No fault code found.
Thanks for this Mike. @Cuzoe did you have to program or flash the car or do anything specific after adding in your sensors to retrofit your car with BSM? I'm wondering if the new sensors would be a direct fit (wiring connections, etc) and thus provide the needed signals to recognize the new BSM modules. Do you have any pics of the sensors and wiring you have while doing the install? Would save me taking the bumper off to look...

mattchat

Trying this tomorrow. I have the new sensors for the 2021, sensor mounts, the new style BSMs and some freshly painted mirror caps with the cutouts for the new style BSMs. I also ordered the wire connectors so once I test the raw wires and all works I can add the appropriate connectors for as near OEM install as possible. I did look under the bumper and the new sensor mounts will be a direct swap using the same mounting and bolt holes of the earlier model sensors so looks like this should be easy....fingers crossed. I do have to take the rear bumper off tomorrow though I did find a video. If all goes well I'll post my experience and pics.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I don't have any good pictures, haha. But there is this one that shoes the mount for the monitor. It uses the two outboard bolts for the rear crash bar.
Note: The mount is on the wrong side of the car in this picture (I did not leave it like this). The mounts are mirrors of each other. When installed properly the sensor will be lined up with the top of the crash bar. Also, the mounts have a spot on the outboard side that a stud would go through and nut used to secure it. My car, being that it did not come with the sensors, does not have a stud on the body in that location. I used an adhesive zip tie block (and zip tie) where the stud would be, although I'm sure it's not doing anything.
IMG_20201120_191756.jpg

There are grommets on both sides of the hatch. I ran the harness down the right side of the car (OEM routing), one plug out of the grommet on that side (along with existing harness for license plate lights and parking sensors if you have them). Then I ran the other side across the inside of the hatch and out the grommet on that side. I suppose you could run it outside above the crash bar as well but my harness (from AliExpress) is only wrapped in Tesa tape so I figured keep it away from the elements where possible. I popped the grommets out, cut a slit in them to add my harness, then stuck them back in. I put a little RTV over the slit but in reality they're not in a place that should ever see water.

This picture shows the harness coming out on the right side of the car with other harnesses. The left looks the same, but with just the single harness coming out for the left sensor. And don't worry folks, I did replace those white zip ties with black ones.
IMG_20201018_122015.jpg

mattchat

Looks good. I should clear up that I am doing this on my Tiguan that has the same older style in mirror light BSM like the Golf R. If this works I think I'll be doing the Arteon style as welll on the Golf R. Aliexpress had the sensors for cheap and they were already preprogrammed for the Tiguan (you can specify which model its for so that helps). Fingers crossed, I'll be ditching work very early this morning after a few callls I have scheduled to give it a go. Luckily I already have the wiring so its just down to swapping out parts.

mattchat

Well no dice. Everything seems to be plug and play. The new brackets for 2Q0907686B and 2Q0907685B fit perfect and the wiring harness clips right in. I also wired up the new BSM side assist mirror cap lights to the factory wiring used for the mirror glass bsm using some banana clips (I removed all the plastic connectors) and I get a whole slew of errors that won't go away, they persistently cycle on my MIB and are sporatic such that I can't get to any other menus without the warnings popping up. Error: Lane Assist, Error: Dynamic cornering lights, but no cross traffic alert error (when I did finally get into the menu to enable the side assist the rear traffic alert wasn't even an option.....do you think they were programmed wrong from this aliexpress chinese shipper?

Purchased here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002139477493.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.25ab5088wiASaf

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
It is of course possible, although I'm not sure that would cause the issue you are seeing. Since I don't have VCP to load datasets I opted to get a pair of used sensors on eBay, and I confirmed with the seller they were removed from the same Golf (that was luck, but I wanted them removed from a Golf for sure). The pair of used one cost me about the same as a pair of new ones from AliExpress but but avoided a potential headache. Dumb question, are you sure each is on the right side... the master on the Golf types is on the right, -686. I assume this is the same on other VWs as well though.

Try it without the mirror cap lights connected. That way you can work towards a system that works per OEM configuration. Once that is working, then wire in the mirror caps and try getting them to work. Right now you're possibly troubleshooting two problems.

mattchat

Yeah I did have the 686 on the right as the master. I did try swapping just for fun and the codes didn't throw, but I also could not enable side assist and there was still no cross traffic option to select. I'm hoping I get a response from Aliexpress and if not I'll have to try you're method or maybe I should just take the whole mess fully installed to the dealership and see if they'll program it. The problem is they usually go by VIN and I would think they wouldn't know how to flash them for a 2020 on my 2019...maybe they would though I would think they would charge a lot.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Yea, even if you find a dealer willing to try they might prefer to charge for actual time instead of giving you a firm estimate. And I'm sure they will make no promises so you could end being out both time and money.

Just for my own sanity... you currently have a 2019 Tiguan with factory BSM (but a cracked housing, prompting this endeavor). And you are now attempting to "retrofit" the sensors/mirrors/mirror caps from a the 2021 Tiguan? And this will give you the housing mounted indicator instead of the glass mounted... or are you trying to have both?

mattchat

Yea, even if you find a dealer willing to try they might prefer to charge for actual time instead of giving you a firm estimate. And I'm sure they will make no promises so you could end being out both time and money.

Just for my own sanity... you currently have a 2019 Tiguan with factory BSM (but a cracked housing, prompting this endeavor). And you are now attempting to "retrofit" the sensors/mirrors/mirror caps from a the 2021 Tiguan? And this will give you the housing mounted indicator instead of the glass mounted... or are you trying to have both?
Thats right, was looking to just replace the housing and ended up having to replace the mirror surround as well but after looking into caps I thought I would just go for it so I'm going full conversion if possible. New caps and BSM and new glass without the BSM in it, just heated glass. But now that I've bought the caps, lights, glass and sensors...its not working so I need to evaluate my options before giving up. For now its all back to stock as the wife needs it. I'll have to gather some more info and then try again on the long weekend coming up here. I'm hoping the seller will send me new ones and I'll send the old ones back if there was a mistake on their part but waiting to see. Might be best to just get VW to program them at this point rather than dumping more money into trying out other sensors. Maybe I'll look on eBay and see if I have the same luck as you for the Tig.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha... I would be interesting to see a comparison of electrical diagrams for differences between 2019 and 2020/21 cars. Might also try ross tech forums to see if anybody has posted scans of either/both cars. Did 2020 (or 2021) add the 360 view? If so, I wonder if they changed the can bus.

I wonder if your module is programmed with the expectation to see additional data. Can you get into the module in VCDS/OBDEleven?

mattchat

I have the 360 view in my car already, so the 2019 has it for sure. I'll have to check VCDS forums and see if anyone has done a scan that we can compare. I did do an OBD11 scan though and most of the faults were scanbus so this upgrade might be a bit tough in the end.