GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Is there a 10mm spacer that fits over the rear dust cap wile still being hubcentric? Im running UROtuning brand15mm on the back right now and Im rubbing with my current setup. I ordered some 12mm spacers on ebay and they fit in the front but not over the dust cap in the rear either.
be careful with 10mm in the rear on these hubs....not enough meat for the wheel to sit on and it literally sheared my BFI spacers' hub shelf right off.......twice. Some other members have had the same thing happen. I went up to 15mm and haven't had an issue since.

Duchess

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI Mk 7.5
I was a bit torn between making a new thread about this or posting my question in here, but for the sake of clutter reduction I'll keep my question in this thread:

What can I do with my curb rashed wheels?

An incident last summer with an a*hole in a BMW led to me getting curb rash on 2 of my stock Dallas wheels. One wheel is worse off as it has some pretty bad scuffing on the face of the blades, but the second is less scuffed and the damage more easily ignored. Flash forward to this year as the time came to swap off my winters and put these back on: I thought I could ignore the damage in an effort to save money, but my irritation with the scuffs combined with the fact that I don't actually like these wheels that much has led me to buy a new set of alloys anyway. I figure I can sell the 2 Dallas wheels that are still in perfect shape, but what on earth do I do with the scuffed ones? I have no storage space to throw them in; do shops/dealers buy these to refurbish and resell?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I was a bit torn between making a new thread about this or posting my question in here, but for the sake of clutter reduction I'll keep my question in this thread:

An incident last summer with an a*hole in a BMW led to me getting curb rash on 2 of my stock Dallas wheels. One wheel is worse off as it has some pretty bad scuffing on the face of the blades, but the second is less scuffed and the damage more easily ignored. Flash forward to this year as the time came to swap off my winters and put these back on: I thought I could ignore the damage in an effort to save money, but my irritation with the scuffs combined with the fact that I don't actually like these wheels that much has led me to buy a new set of alloys anyway. I figure I can sell the 2 Dallas wheels that are still in perfect shape, but what on earth do I do with the scuffed ones? I have no storage space to throw them in; do shops/dealers buy these to refurbish and resell?
I've used AWR (alloy wheel repair) multiple times with great results...about $100/wheel, but they do great work and come to you.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD

Look around on Google for local wheel repair and refinishing. There are a few mobile guys around me that work wonders and are not that expensive. Depending on the damage they'll be able to let you know the best process for repair. Normally they'll fill, sand, paint/polish, but the end result is almost like new.

Edit: There are also OEM wheel buyers that'll make you an offer per wheel based on condition if you just want to get rid of them, normally 5-80 bucks a wheel depending on brand, type, etc.

Duchess

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI Mk 7.5
Edit: There are also OEM wheel buyers that'll make you an offer per wheel based on condition if you just want to get rid of them, normally 5-80 bucks a wheel depending on brand, type, etc.
Honestly, I just want to get rid of these as my winters have been on their own alloys and I don't have the storage space to keep these hanging around. Googling for a place that buys OEM wheels is a good call if they take the damaged ones at a discount... Thanks!

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
Honestly, I just want to get rid of these as my winters have been on their own alloys and I don't have the storage space to keep these hanging around. Googling for a place that buys OEM wheels is a good call if they take the damaged ones at a discount... Thanks!
As an absolute last resort, sell to a metal scrap buyer. You would probably only get $.50 / lb, so like $26 for two wheels. Better then putting them at the curb though.

cb1111

Sell all four for the price of two. Assuming that the wheels are straight, somebody may want these for a project. You should be able to find a local buyer.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Any point in break-boosting this car 30-40 rolls? Seems like it just kills the traction.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Gotcha. I’m on apr high tq stage 1 with pilot sport 4s’s

the fire hawks are plenty sticky. But your tune does make more power than mine. Might just be the extra tq vs mine?
honestly my car likes to do dumb shit no one else's does... it may just be the tires, they have a little uneven shoulder wear. Also no performance pack/lsd.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
honestly my car likes to do dumb shit no one else's does... it may just be the tires, they have a little uneven shoulder wear. Also no performance pack/lsd.
I dunno if the lsd would help with brake boosting. The e-lsd could, I guess? @golfdave would know

uneven tire wear probably isn’t doing you any favors.

I still think it’s your tune. The eqt stage 1 makes way more tq than my apr high tq stage 1

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Describe the uneven tire wear. Could be an alignment problem or worn shocks or a tire pressure problem depending upon your answer.