GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R
We all should do ride-alongs next time. You and your group all drove great. We can all learn a few things from each other. It was a really fun day, and I think the whole V-dub group stood our ground pretty well. By the end of the day I think there were a number of BMW drivers who may have been wondering why they spent all that extra money. :)

I do quite a lot of events, and the most R's I've ever seen at an event were two in addition to mine. At Lime Rock we had 4 R's and a GTi. Rare photo at a non-VW event...
View attachment 207404
nice!!! so many VW's and so many oryx white! Is it my eyes or is the second white one from the left still got the front rotors glowing red?

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
nice!!! so many VW's and so many oryx white! Is it my eyes or is the second white one from the left still got the front rotors glowing red?

As kep said, must be the reflection. Looked at that photo a bunch of times but I hadn't noticed that before. No matter how much I zoom it does look like glowing rotors.

Heck, I'm going with the glowing rotors. We drive those R's hard! ;>)

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Thanks!

It was my first time there, so I went from 2:23 first time out to 2:11.4+ the next day .... there are a couple of turns that I can carry better speed, and can definitely take the uphill esses a little faster maybe. Top speed on the back straight was 144

the car needs more brake, which I am addressing, and would do better with a some higher spring rates, especially the rear. I also use stock sizing rubber 225s...not sure if I would benefit from wider tires or not, since I would have to raise the car, so I don't really want to mess too much which the way it is setup right now. I really need to work on myself more.

Yeah thats a hell of an improvement in 1 day. You must be exiting oak tree really fast to hit that speed on the back straight since you don't have a whole lot of power. If you got better brakes and were able to stop at the 2.5 or 3 markers you can definitely take another 1.5 seconds off that time. Is there a mod list on you somewhere im missing?

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Yeah thats a hell of an improvement in 1 day. You must be exiting oak tree really fast to hit that speed on the back straight since you don't have a whole lot of power. If you got better brakes and were able to stop at the 2.5 or 3 markers you can definitely take another 1.5 seconds off that time. Is there a mod list on you somewhere im missing?
There's definitely another 2 seconds I think in there. I was just happy to go from 2:23 day one to 2:11+ on day 2, where we only got a total of 6 laps, 3 laps a session to put in a hot lap.

I'm just stage 2 EQT, ECS Catted DP, Injen Evo Intake, and Milltek Valved Catback for power. and Super Pro Sways and top mount, Audi Subframe, and Bilstein B16 with KW DCC cancelers. and factory size 225/40-18 RE-71R

Last edited:

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Had a frustrating but overall good day at Laguna Seca yesterday. First two sessions were basically throwaways because of so much traffic, couldn't get any clean laps in. Third and fourth sessions opened up a bit more but then I ran into issues with the car cutting power going uphill towards T7 (Corkscrew). You can hear me expressing my frustration in the video below lol. I'm not sure if it was heat soak (only 75F and oil temp was 260F so not too hot?) or bad gas but the car was definitely slightly down on power today. This lap was a 1:46 without traffic at the end, so I know high/mid 1:46s are in reach. The head coach at my event thinks car can do 1:45 and I agree. Till next time!

Track name: Laguna Seca
Track location: Monterey, CA
Lap time: 1:47.536
Year/model: 2017 GTI S
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3200lbs
Estimated wheel horsepower: 250whp
Fuel: 91
Tire size and model: 255/35/18 Nexen N FERA SUR4G (200tw)
Estimated ambient temperature: 75F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Car cutting power, some traffic at end. 2.5F/2.0R camber, Macan BBK, Ferodo DS2500, Eibach 25mm RSB.

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Had a frustrating but overall good day at Laguna Seca yesterday. First two sessions were basically throwaways because of so much traffic, couldn't get any clean laps in. Third and fourth sessions opened up a bit more but then I ran into issues with the car cutting power going uphill towards T7 (Corkscrew). You can hear me expressing my frustration in the video below lol. I'm not sure if it was heat soak (only 75F and oil temp was 260F so not too hot?) or bad gas but the car was definitely slightly down on power today. This lap was a 1:46 without traffic at the end, so I know high/mid 1:46s are in reach. The head coach at my event thinks car can do 1:45 and I agree. Till next time!

Very nice lap. I wonder where you think you can improve to get the extra time you claim possible.

The power issues up the hill could also be transmission fluid or some other kind of overheating. Do you have data logs? Also, this is where people saw a difference when they installed a catch can.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Very nice lap. I wonder where you think you can improve to get the extra time you claim possible.

The power issues up the hill could also be transmission fluid or some other kind of overheating. Do you have data logs? Also, this is where people saw a difference when they installed a catch can.
Diggs24 (who knows these engines very well) mentioned to me: "Probably running out of fuel if it's dumping fuel to keep things cool. Stock ECU is pretty aggressive in that regards and if you're running any boost through the JB4 that takes away fueling headroom." - so that is my predominant theory at the moment. That hill is definitely the most demanding part of the track for the motor.

As for time saving I see it as a combo of two major issues and a few small tweaks to my lap. Major issue one is the lack of power up towards T7. I am losing probably 2 or 3 10ths due to the car cutting power there. Second major issue here was T11. I broke early to be cautious of the guy in front and had a very compromised exit as well. Comparing the data to another 1:47.58 lap I did, I am .6s slower through that sector. So add those two things together and you get a 1:46.6.

From there its a combination of minor tweaks to get to 1:45.xxx. Coming into T2 I was a little narrow and didn't use all the track on the right to line up my entry. This caused me to go a little too deep into the corner and apex later than I wanted (got on the power a little late as a result). 1 or 2 tenths to be gained there. T3 is pretty good. T4 I think I could carry a few more MPH on entry and be better on throttle. If you listen closely you can hear me turn in, touch the gas, turn in more to apex, then back on throttle. Ideally I would turn in slightly later/with more speed and not touch the gas till I can go full throttle. The application of a little throttle before apex led to a tiny bit of understeer which resulted in a slower exit onto the straight leading to T5. Probably another tenth or two there. T5 was fairly solid. T6 I could carry a few more MPH but is generally good. Braking into corkscrew was good. Corkscrew itself - took it a bit aggressive, but not sure if I could go faster. T9 was solid but probably could've used more track on exit. And T10 I should have downshifted to third to help rotate the car and get on power earlier. Instead I left it in 4th and was at too low RPM for 4th on exit. Definitely a tenth or two to be gained there.

Add it all up an I think high 1:45s could be reached.

For reference, here’s a 1:46.4 with a similarly modded MK6.

Last edited:

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Diggs24 (who knows these engines very well) mentioned to me: "Probably running out of fuel if it's dumping fuel to keep things cool. Stock ECU is pretty aggressive in that regards and if you're running any boost through the JB4 that takes away fueling headroom." - so that is my predominant theory at the moment. That hill is definitely the most demanding part of the track for the motor.

So that is the remedy then to avoid this? Curious to learn from you :)

As FYI, I got power cut-off exactly at the same place before. My resolution has been to make sure I up-shift at 6k rpm instead of 6500. Also take T6 slightly slower. Seems to work thus far. If it did not, I would have tried a catch can.

As for time saving I see it as a combo of two major issues and a few small tweaks to my lap. Major issue one is the lack of power up towards T7. I am losing probably 2 or 3 10ths due to the car cutting power there. Second major issue here was T11. I broke early to be cautious of the guy in front and had a very compromised exit as well. Comparing the data to another 1:47.58 lap I did, I am .6s slower through that sector. So add those two things together and you get a 1:46.6.

I understand the time saved from power and T11 slow down. But would be very interesting how much faster you can go around the track and how you think about it. Lots leanings there from your answer for the rest of us :)

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
So that is the remedy then to avoid this? Curious to learn from you :)

As FYI, I got power cut-off exactly at the same place before. My resolution has been to make sure I up-shift at 6k rpm instead of 6500. Also take T6 slightly slower. Seems to work thus far. If it did not, I would have tried a catch can.

I understand the time saved from power and T11 slow down. But would be very interesting how much faster you can go around the track and how you think about it. Lots leanings there from your answer for the rest of us :)

Interesting that you had the same power issue. I normally shift around 6000-6250 but tend to rev out 3rd a little more as 4th is so long. The only solution I can think of to remedy this issue is just better cooling. Maybe I need to revise my air intake setup a bit. I do not have logs unfortunately.

Here is a really really good breakdown of Laguna Seca by a pro driver - helped me a lot in preparation for yesterday’s session.

Below are the notes I wrote for myself in preparation:

Laguna Seca 4/18 Prep:
-Flat turn 1
-Brake just before 3 board
-Start angling in/trail brake between 1/2 board towards first apex (“extend straightaway”)
-Rotate and on power as fast as possible
-Turn 3: turn in at last white marker, apex on middle/back of yellow curb
-Turn 4: turn in at last white marker, apex far side yellow curb, on power at apex
-Turn 5: brake at 3 board, turn in on last white curb marker, apex backside yellow board, on power as early as possible
-Turn 6: turn in last white marker on curb, on power after car compresses
-Corkscrew: all the way left, brake before 3, lighter brake pressure over crest turning slightly right to setup entrance, hard on brakes after car settles. Use all curb on left, aim for second big tree from left.
-Turn 9: line up under “e” in Weathertech, slightly early apex, use all track
-Turn 10: downshift to 3rd, turn in slightly before end of curb, early on power
-Turn 11: brake at 3, turn in on last white marker, slightly late apex, on power as early as possible, use all turf on exit

spaparizos

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI Sport
Interesting that you had the same power issue. I normally shift around 6000-6250 but tend to rev out 3rd a little more as 4th is so long. The only solution I can think of to remedy this issue is just better cooling. Maybe I need to revise my air intake setup a bit. I do not have logs unfortunately.

Here is a really really good breakdown of Laguna Seca by a pro driver - helped me a lot in preparation for yesterday’s session.

But better cooling on what? Probably cheaper :) to get an obd reader and just log some data with your phone like DSG temp, oil temp, intakes temp, coolant temp to help pinpoint the issue.

I have seen the 360 video. But it is on a rear wheel car, I think an M3. I used to have a rear wheel car and my track driving is still affected by the habits I developed driving it. The GTI behaves differently and needs different lines. It is very rare and very useful to see good GTI driver videos on tracks I know :)

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
But better cooling on what? Probably cheaper :) to get an obd reader and just log some data with your phone like DSG temp, oil temp, intakes temp, coolant temp to help pinpoint the issue.

I have seen the 360 video. But it is on a rear wheel car, I think an M3. I used to have a rear wheel car and my track driving is still affected by the habits I developed driving it. The GTI behaves differently and needs different lines. It is very rare and very useful to see good GTI driver videos on tracks I know :)

I will try to log a session using my JB4 next time and see if I can spot what is happening.

turbojzrr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R

Below are the notes I wrote for myself in preparation:

Laguna Seca 4/18 Prep:
-Flat turn 1
-Brake just before 3 board
-Start angling in/trail brake between 1/2 board towards first apex (“extend straightaway”)
-Rotate and on power as fast as possible
-Turn 3: turn in at last white marker, apex on middle/back of yellow curb
-Turn 4: turn in at last white marker, apex far side yellow curb, on power at apex
-Turn 5: brake at 3 board, turn in on last white curb marker, apex backside yellow board, on power as early as possible
-Turn 6: turn in last white marker on curb, on power after car compresses
-Corkscrew: all the way left, brake before 3, lighter brake pressure over crest turning slightly right to setup entrance, hard on brakes after car settles. Use all curb on left, aim for second big tree from left.
-Turn 9: line up under “e” in Weathertech, slightly early apex, use all track
-Turn 10: downshift to 3rd, turn in slightly before end of curb, early on power
-Turn 11: brake at 3, turn in on last white marker, slightly late apex, on power as early as possible, use all turf on exit
Great video and summary. I got a lot of time left on the table on LS as well.