GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WavTrac Diff worth it? (Non PP)

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Thinking about getting a WavTrac, I just heard it's kind of a pricey install (If that is true.)
I heard positive things about the WavTrac diff, I'm just not sure if it's worth the install.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Absolutely.

I plan to do a Peloquin LSD (made in Georgia, USA). I’d be doing the installation myself, but yes it’s extremely labor intensive.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Had I known, I would have had the wavtrac installed at the same time as my clutch. From what I read it's better than the electronic variant found in the PP, and those who have opted to have the work done swear by it.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Thinking about getting a WavTrac, I just heard it's kind of a pricey install (If that is true.)
I heard positive things about the WavTrac diff, I'm just not sure if it's worth the install.
Do it, if you have any reason to use it fully.

If you are just daily driving and no performance driving, it’s a lot of money to drop.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Yeah it’s worth it if you’re non-PP. I will be doing it in my Alltrack when I get a Golf R 6MT + upgraded clutch :)

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

It's certainly worth the install and the cost. Mine was installed by a shop and the total was a little over $2500 part/labor/tax.

Had I known, I would have had the wavtrac installed at the same time as my clutch. From what I read it's better than the electronic variant found in the PP, and those who have opted to have the work done swear by it.

The VAQ system is not a LSD and it is not replaced by a LSD. The PP GTIs all still have open differentials, same as the non-PP (and the Golf R). When you install an ATB LSD (like a Wavetrac), you are replacing the open differential. Choosing to leave the VAQ system functioning afterwards is entirely up to you. They are not the same and should not be compared.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Yeah it’s worth it if you’re non-PP. I will be doing it in my Alltrack when I get a Golf R 6MT + upgraded clutch :)

It's worth it in either car.... PP, non-PP, Golf R, RS3, TTRS... they all benefit GREATLY from it...

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Good to know, everyone I know just calls it LSD. Always learning!

Yeah it’s not technically an LSD because it’s not inside the transmission housing between the axles/output shafts. It’s outside of it, acting on the side that is slipping when it senses slip. Real LSDs plug in the hole in the “Open diff” inside the housing, creating a real differential that transfers the power to the outside wheel that is not able to be utilized by the inner.

note I know just about nothing about transmissions so this is entirely armchair generalization, I’m sure saying “between the axles/output shafts” is technically incorrect as idfk which is what but hopefully my dumb ass imparted the general idea lol

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll look into it a bit more and see if I can get any good deals on an install. I plan to use this for racing, so it'd be beneficial in the long run.

MKSeven

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti, duh.
Do it, if you have any reason to use it fully.

If you are just daily driving and no performance driving, it’s a lot of money to drop.
I intend to go to more track days in the near future, so I think it'd be worth it.
Cry now, have fun later I guess. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
If I ever have to go back in to do another utxh install, I'd be very tempted to put a wavetrac in too. Seems doable diy.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Any major differences from Peloquin and WavTrac?

Wavetrac has clutches (wear items). They claim it to be “low wear” or whatever, but I’d rather sacrifice a tiny bit of performance for the 100% gear driven Peloquin.

Plus, I like to support small business and the owner has been building VAG race parts more than twice as long as I’ve been alive.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Any major differences from Peloquin and WavTrac?
Peloquin
Quaife
Wavetrac

There are differences and you should absolutely do your research.