GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to Golf R?

Hyperlite

Go Kart Newbie
An update for those interested...

I went and test drove a used Mk7 R. I can see why everyone loves the R. Coming out of low speed corners you can plant your foot and the car just hunkers down and goes. That was the biggest difference from my GTI. With stage 1 on the GTI, the R didn’t feel like it had much more power, it was just infinitely better at getting power down to the road. It’s like a dog trying to run on hardwood floors vs grass.

So that leaves me in my current predicament...the Mk7 R is too similar to my Mk7 GTI to justify the cost of getting into one. I’d like to be in a Mk7.5 for the new displays and DSG, however they are just too expensive in general at the moment. Would probably cost me $15K+ (CAD) to make the jump.

So my plan for now is to enjoy my GTI because it’s still a great car, and reassess the used R market once the Mk8 comes out. 👍🏻

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Remember this - that $15k jump in price will payoff later in much higher resale value than a GTI. If getting a Golf R is a want and you're not in need of a new vehicle, might be best to wait.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Remember this - that $15k jump in price will payoff later in much higher resale value than a GTI. If getting a Golf R is a want and you're not in need of a new vehicle, might be best to wait.
But any Mk7 is about to take a hit with the Mk8's out next year, so just wait for that. You'll also likely see the Mk7.5 drop to a better value at that point too, although you're also dealing with the fact that 18 and 19 cars have the 6/72 warranty which keeps their value up, not just being the 7.5.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
But any Mk7 is about to take a hit with the Mk8's out next year, so just wait for that. You'll also likely see the Mk7.5 drop to a better value at that point too, although you're also dealing with the fact that 18 and 19 cars have the 6/72 warranty which keeps their value up, not just being the 7.5.
I dunno. If the mk8 R comes out and it's starting at 44k with a manual you won't see the prices drop on mk7s. Especially with todays market.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I dunno. If the mk8 R comes out and it's starting at 44k with a manual you won't see the prices drop on mk7s. Especially with todays market.
10% more than a Mk7.5 is a material difference? I mean, in 2017, average new car prices were $36k, so the Golf R was about $4k over that and the average price in 2021 is running a skitch over $40k, so we'd still be looking at the same delta. And all new cars push down the prior model's value, these days, even the mid cycle refresh does that. VW was extra dickish on the Mk7.5 with the extra warranty though, my totaled 17 took a serious bath.

And speaking of today's market, I'd say that the GTI is on about the same curve as the R in the current market, where there was a sizeable advantage to the R prior to that. It might also just be the natural market reaction to the Mk7 not being a limited production run, unlike the previous three generations. So it's entirely possible that with the increasing rarity of manual cars, and cars in general (not SUV's) that the Mk8 will continue that trend with neither model having a resale advantage. But I'm still using the value retention as one of the factors for grabbing a second year Mk8 R.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
10% more than a Mk7.5 is a material difference? I mean, in 2017, average new car prices were $36k, so the Golf R was about $4k over that and the average price in 2021 is running a skitch over $40k, so we'd still be looking at the same delta. And all new cars push down the prior model's value, these days, even the mid cycle refresh does that. VW was extra dickish on the Mk7.5 with the extra warranty though, my totaled 17 took a serious bath.

And speaking of today's market, I'd say that the GTI is on about the same curve as the R in the current market, where there was a sizeable advantage to the R prior to that. It might also just be the natural market reaction to the Mk7 not being a limited production run, unlike the previous three generations. So it's entirely possible that with the increasing rarity of manual cars, and cars in general (not SUV's) that the Mk8 will continue that trend with neither model having a resale advantage. But I'm still using the value retention as one of the factors for grabbing a second year Mk8 R.
It'll be interesting to follow. I bought my R a little over a year and a half ago at 36.5k. If I look it up on kbb my average private party value is still 36.5k with an additional 10k miles. I feel like if the new one comes out and it's already $8k more right away then that shouldn't affect resale on the used models. If it was being sold at $40-41k like the 7.5 was then I'd expect the price to drop a couple grand. I actually thought the price on my car was going to drop to $34k pretty soon after I bought it, but it's holding steady, for now at least.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It'll be interesting to follow. I bought my R a little over a year and a half ago at 36.5k. If I look it up on kbb my average private party value is still 36.5k with an additional 10k miles. I feel like if the new one comes out and it's already $8k more right away then that shouldn't affect resale on the used models. If it was being sold at $40-41k like the 7.5 was then I'd expect the price to drop a couple grand. I actually thought the price on my car was going to drop to $34k pretty soon after I bought it, but it's holding steady, for now at least.
The market's definitely making things hard to understand right now. Your big event coming up is likely when they announce there won't be a manual in the Mk8.5. That should net you a good pay day. I still kick myself for not buying a Ferrari 550 with a manual when I had the chance. It would have been the wrong decision in many ways, but if I'd been able to keep it until now, it would have been an awesome return.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The market's definitely making things hard to understand right now. Your big event coming up is likely when they announce there won't be a manual in the Mk8.5. That should net you a good pay day. I still kick myself for not buying a Ferrari 550 with a manual when I had the chance. It would have been the wrong decision in many ways, but if I'd been able to keep it until now, it would have been an awesome return.
It's been impossible to predict anything lol
Last year around this time we had nobody coming in to buy boats. Today we've got 1 model sold out until November, 1 sold out until December, and another sold out until March next year.
Resale prices have been crazy too. Our best selling model is a 24' center console that came out in 2014 and this last year we've been selling 2014-2015s for $5k less than what they paid new. Prices jump so much every year though. In 2014 we could sell it for $55-65k depending on options, but today that's $75-85k. If you paid $60k in 2014 it's so easy to sell it for $55k today. It's like paying $1k a year for a boat, that's crazy. Now they're telling us there'll be a 10% price increase for 2022 models, which is quite a bit more than normal. I'm sure it'll do some more weird stuff to the value of used boats too. We've never seen them hold their value so well before.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
The Mk8 will need supply to catch up to demand and dealers will be selling them for no less than MSRP. Mk7.5 prices will hold steady for a while.

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
I just bought my 2019 Golf R and the prices have gone up in the last month again. The market is insane for these cars.

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
I assume your F80 has gone up in value too with ol' Bucky hitting the market?
Yeah i let the CS go in favor of my Golf R/New Bronco combo :cool:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
An update for those interested...

I went and test drove a used Mk7 R. I can see why everyone loves the R. Coming out of low speed corners you can plant your foot and the car just hunkers down and goes. That was the biggest difference from my GTI. With stage 1 on the GTI, the R didn’t feel like it had much more power, it was just infinitely better at getting power down to the road. It’s like a dog trying to run on hardwood floors vs grass.

So that leaves me in my current predicament...the Mk7 R is too similar to my Mk7 GTI to justify the cost of getting into one. I’d like to be in a Mk7.5 for the new displays and DSG, however they are just too expensive in general at the moment. Would probably cost me $15K+ (CAD) to make the jump.

So my plan for now is to enjoy my GTI because it’s still a great car, and reassess the used R market once the Mk8 comes out. 👍🏻

Can always check out a 2017/2018 S3. Would be similar to the R. And at least where I am, an S3 is cheaper than an R.