GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NOOB to Stick

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
So today I rolled into 2nd going like 8MPH. I think I heard my clutch slipping or maybe something else. That being said ...what does that sound like? And what does burning clutch smell like?
8mph should be fine. 2nd is the best choice for something like that. 6 mph is idle in 2nd gear so you might have just given it a little too much gas, but at that speed you pretty much just need to let the clutch out and not worry about the throttle until it grabs. Any faster and you need a small blip to get the rpms up though. At 5 mph and under I feel comfortable enough to roll it into first, but again that's without any throttle. I'm just letting the clutch out until it grabs and then I'll accelerate.

You can't really hear a clutch slipping or at least maybe not in the way you're thinking, like you're not going to hear a noise coming from the bellhousing, You'll feel it in the seat and hear it in the tone of the engine. It effects how smoothly the car accelerates, so you'll feel it in that way and for the same reason you'll hear it through the engine too.

Couldn't really describe the smell of a burnt clutch though.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
So today I rolled into 2nd going like 8MPH. I think I heard my clutch slipping or maybe something else. That being said ...what does that sound like? And what does burning clutch smell like?
I mean as long as you weren’t riding the clutch for like 5+ seconds, there’s nothing inherently wrong with clutching in @ ~8mph in 2nd gear. Just don’t give it any more than 5% throttle or so until you’re at 1500+ RPMs before you start rolling into the throttle, otherwise you will lug the engine requesting elevated throttle @ idle speed in 2nd gear.

you’ll know what burning clutch smells like when you smell it. It’s gross. Its metallic and heavy and funky in quality.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1

Like something burning. Not being sarcastic. If you burned the clutch you’ll know.

For what it's worth I regularly putt around at 1500rpms if it is flat ground. Any sort of incline I typically like to be in the 2000-2500 range. I much prefer to stay in the lower revs with this motor. It’s rated for the max torque at 1500rpms 🤷‍♂️

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I wasn't like accelerating, more of keeping the throttle up around 1-1.5k. The sound could be just water on something from a puddle.

I'm probably just being nervous but I love this car and I desperately want to be good to it. 🥺

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I wasn't like accelerating, more of keeping the throttle up around 1-1.5k. The sound could be just water on something from a puddle.

I'm probably just being nervous but I love this car and I desperately want to be good to it. 🥺
Is it your first stick? I will admit these are not the most robust gearboxes for new learners lol. I learned how to drive stick on my first MK6 GTI and on stock power the clutch was dying at 48K miles lololol. Just keep asking questions, maybe try to record examples on your phone for context. We’re happy to answer your questions.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I would bet that this is most of your problem.

You're thinking about it too much. You can't hear the clutch slipping either, you can only feel it, if you know what it feels like. Don't watch the tach, listen to the engine (or the Soundacktor) to find the shift points.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Is it your first stick? I will admit these are not the most robust gearboxes for new learners lol. I learned how to drive stick on my first MK6 GTI and on stock power the clutch was dying at 48K miles lololol. Just keep asking questions, maybe try to record examples on your phone for context. We’re happy to answer your questions.
Ya it's my first manual, I'm still trying to take off smooth! Some days I get so annoyed when I get that jerk feeling.

I'm noticing I shift better in snow boots over my skate shoes...😂😂

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Ya it's my first manual, I'm still trying to take off smooth! Some days I get so annoyed when I get that jerk feeling.

That’s funny man, yeah different shoes will affect the way your foot communicates with the pedal/vice versa. And I know that feeling. It took me a year to get half decent at stick.

I will say though, once you’ve been chugging for a good 6+ months, I would strongly suggest a dogbone insert + upper engine/trans mounts, clutch delay valve delete, clutch stop, and clutch return spring delete. You can do any of the above any time. They will make driving stick easier and more enjoyable.

I have done all the above on all 3 manual VWs I’ve owned. They are essential for having a truly solid, enjoyable shifting experience.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

Big boots might be making it easier to push the clutch all the way in or to let it out slow.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Had my steering allignment down and it feels way better somehow. I guess it was way off.

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
UPDATE!

I did a clutch delay valve delete and it is a WAY more connected experience! So much so that the car launches forward on my first drive lol.

I ended up doing the process alone which made the bleeding of the clutch a bit difficult. The trick is putting something heavy to keep the clutch pedal down (mechanics wrench set, car jack, a toddler, ETC.) That being said I had the whole process down in like a half hour or so.

After a 35 minute drive I didn't feel fatigued from trying to predict the clutch engagement, which typically leads to me not wanting to drive.

So, in conclusion 10/10 free mod that only really needs a bleeder kit, Dot4 fluid, and a 3/8" wrench to complete!

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
UPDATE!

I did a clutch delay valve delete and it is a WAY more connected experience! So much so that the car launches forward on my first drive lol.

I ended up doing the process alone which made the bleeding of the clutch a bit difficult. The trick is putting something heavy to keep the clutch pedal down (mechanics wrench set, car jack, a toddler, ETC.) That being said I had the whole process down in like a half hour or so.

After a 35 minute drive I didn't feel fatigued from trying to predict the clutch engagement, which typically leads to me not wanting to drive.

So, in conclusion 10/10 free mod that only really needs a bleeder kit, Dot4 fluid, and a 3/8" wrench to complete!
In your list of things needed you left out a toddler. 😂

Shadowtuy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
WAKE THE DEAD!! NEW QUESTION!

Some days I'm not giving my A effort with shifting and get jerky take offs. It's like a "br..br..br.." And since it's shaking me which shakes my foot it just makes the take off worse.

What I am asking is I know I'm not perfect but sometimes it feels unreasonable in how much it jerks forward and I'm curious if this my issues or trans/engine mount and dogbone territory.

Thoughts?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
WAKE THE DEAD!! NEW QUESTION!

Some days I'm not giving my A effort with shifting and get jerky take offs. It's like a "br..br..br.." And since it's shaking me which shakes my foot it just makes the take off worse.

What I am asking is I know I'm not perfect but sometimes it feels unreasonable in how much it jerks forward and I'm curious if this my issues or trans/engine mount and dogbone territory.

Thoughts?

more likely operator error than anything else, but if you haven’t gotten a dogbone or upgraded mounts yet they WILL make shifting easier.