GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maody's Golf 7.5 GTi TCR on Tracks (mostly Nordschleife)

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
One of my favorite threads to follow on this site!
Have you ever driving your TCR at Spa or any other tracks?
Kind thx, mate. The main thing is you have fun watching.

Not yet. Cause I got him in July last year, modded in August and then began with serious driving.
And my absolute favourite track is Nordschleife. But I'm pretty sure I will visit Spa (my second favourite
track) sooner or later. And maybe other tracks as well (e. g. Bilster Berg or NĆ¼rburgring GP). But to be
honest, most of the GP tracks you find here (like Hockenheim or NĆ¼rburgring GP) are pretty boring to me.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Would like to know if youā€™re running a front LSD (Iā€™m currently using wavetrac).

First of all the car is a GTi TCR (7.5 = facelift). A special model that didn't make it to you afaik. All in all similar to a Clubsport if we talk about pre-facelift cars.
Yes, it has a front LSD, it is OEM, mechanical, the one from the Clubsport.

I'm going to correct you on this point...the Clubsport (CS & CCS) & TCR have the VAQ unit (which is NOT an LSD like the Wavetrac) from the GTI PP (Performance Pack) fitted, & therefore it still retains a basic "open" differential in the gearbox.

All info here in my "How it works guide":-
How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) ā€œFront Differential Lockā€ (VAQ) works. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

I would also strongly recommend fitting the MK8 Golf rear lower arm aero covers, the short rear axle cover, front exhaust tunnel cover, rear exhaust tunnel cover, & engine full undertray aero cover (or skid tray), all of which will greatly improve underbody air flow & therefore stability & grip...

Last edited:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI

Not yet. Cause I got him in July last year, modded in August and then began with serious driving.
And my absolute favourite track is Nordschleife. But I'm pretty sure I will visit Spa (my second favourite
track) sooner or later. And maybe other tracks as well (e. g. Bilster Berg or NĆ¼rburgring GP). But to be
honest, most of the GP tracks you find here (like Hockenheim or NĆ¼rburgring GP) are pretty boring to me.
So completing all your modifications in a short period of time isnā€™t crazy. Haha
Do you compete in any races or just do the track days? Last question, for today, what other track cars have you had and which is your favorite?

Gray_Panther

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
GTi

Every track is boring after going on the Nordschleife!
I used to do some laps at Watkins Glen and I would always look forward to it. Now, I have no interest haha!
This thread is awesome!

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
And it goes on... ;) Another lap of the same day. Met my good friend Marc (thousands and thousands of
Nordschleife laps, very good driver) with his perfectly track prepped GR Yaris and his buddy with an M2 at
the entrance by chance. Thought I should follow them for a lap to get an idea of what the Yaris is able to do.
Now I know. Absolutely marvelous! Have a look for yourself.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
I'm going to correct you on this point...the Clubsport (CS & CCS) & TCR have the VAQ unit (which is NOT an LSD like the Wavetrac) from the GTI PP (Performance Pack) fitted, & therefore it still retains a basic "open" differential in the gearbox.

All info here in my "How it works guide":-
How the VW Golf GTI Performance Pack (PP) ā€œFront Differential Lockā€ (VAQ) works. | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

I would also strongly recommend fitting the MK8 Golf rear lower arm aero covers, the short rear axle cover, front exhaust tunnel cover, rear exhaust tunnel cover, & engine full undertray aero cover (or skid tray), all of which will greatly improve underbody air flow & therefore stability & grip...
Thanks for correction and these lots of information! (y):cool:
So completing all your modifications in a short period of time isnā€™t crazy. Haha
Do you compete in any races or just do the track days? Last question, for today, what other track cars have you had and which is your favorite?
No, I don't do races, too much stress to be honest. šŸ˜‰ I'm only "Gentleman Driver". šŸ˜„

I began driving Nordschleife with more or less sporty street cars without mods in 2001. First one was an Audi S6 Plus (4B) full stock, after that an Audi S4 (B6), full stock as well, followed by a full stock BMW 330 (E46). Next one was a TT MK1 (225 HP 1,8 quattro, full stock), next A TT MK 2 (250 HP 3,2 quattro, full stock). After that I used the first modded car, a Golf 6 R (stock drivetrain, BBK, Coil Kit, Wheel/Tire + UHP) followed by a similar modded Golf 7 R (stock drivetrain, CS Coil Kit, BBK, Wheel/Tire + Semislicks). After this I had the TT-RS, first car with ecu tune (400 HP, 560 Nm), Break Upgrade, KW CS, bucket seats, rear empty, roll cage, Direzzas. And now I have the TCR. If we talk about the drivetrain I miss the TT RS very much. The 2,5 5-Cylinder and the 7-gear DSG worked perfect together. And the car was hell fast. More fun to drive is the TCR cause it feels much more sporty, loose rear and no understeer. Best compromise between all day use and race tracks was the Golf 7 R.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
To bring the Easter Weekend to a good end, here another Video from 28th of March.
Lots of cars on track, a 991 GT3 I could not follow, 2 Yellow Flag Zones, a crashed BMW M3 E46
and a little "battle" with a proper track prepped Golf 5 GTi, touristic driving as usual... šŸ˜‰ :cool:

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
Whatā€™s your best lap time at the Ring with your TCR? Thereā€™s no run off on that track in most places and Iā€™m sure feels extremely intimidating at times.

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Whatā€™s your best lap time at the Ring with your TCR? Thereā€™s no run off on that track in most places and Iā€™m sure feels extremely intimidating at times.
That's exactly the thrill (and with it the attraction) of The Ring (Green Hell). :)

Best time w/ TCR is 8:15. But you can't give anything on it. Cause I never had a lap without Yellow Flags, wet track, crashes or what so ever. I think if we want to see what the car (with me as a driver) can do we have to wait until July when I am going to take part in the track day I do every year.

With the TT-RS my best time was 7:34 and with the Golf 7 R before it was a 7:54. The times I reached with the 7 R I should be able to go with the TCR as well. We will see... ;)

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
More footage of Sunday, 28th of March here. We see a helpful target car ;) , 3 Yellow Zones for nothing :cautious:, the usual
traffic blocks while touristic driving sessions but in the end a lap (and laptime) that's not that bad. For what it was...

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
One last Video of Sunday, 28th of March to post. :)

TheMaOdy66

Drag Racing Champion
Yesterday @ The Ring again. Usual Touristic Driving, but one "Big Moment":

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
Wow!!!! that was close.
Congrats on avoiding.
J