GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Definitive Rev Hang Thread (Mk7 & MT focused)

Rev hang, yes or no? Choose your year and model.

• I notice little or no rev hang, Golf or GSW (FWD)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
All the discussions of rev hang I've seen go this way: half the people complain about rev hang, and the other half swear they have no rev hang and they can shift perfectly smoothly. I don't pretend to be an expert at this phenomenon, but I have read quite a bit about it. I think there are some misconceptions out there that lead to the variety of comments on rev hang.

The purpose of this thread is to focus on rev hang, how much it sucks, and how to live with it (including ways to mitigate and perhaps even fix it). No promises on a true fix, as that would likely require custom ECU programming that apparently none of the tuners are interested in at this time.

1. What is rev hang?
After removing your foot from gas pedal and depressing clutch pedal, the engine RPM hangs or floats or drops very slowly at first (in some cases a second or more), before dropping more quickly. It is not just a slower (linear) drop in RPMs than desired, which is what would happen with a heavy flywheel, for example. It hangs before it drops.

2. Why is rev hang annoying?
Because it means you can't shift quickly without putting extra wear on the synchros in the transmission and the clutch. It's a question of passive rev matching. You either have to wait for the RPM to drop to where it wants to be for the next gear (car decelerates, driver behind you gets on your tail), or you have to fight the synchros into the next gear and slip the clutch to get a fast, smooth shift (excess wear). Both are suboptimal and both result in a frustrating shifting experience for the sport-minded driver.

3. What causes rev hang?
Common misconceptions are that rev hang does not exist, that it is due to driver error only, that it is caused by a heavy flywheel or a dual-mass flywheel, that it is caused by the transmission. Rev hang has nothing to do with the transmission or clutch. It has little to do with the flywheel either (although a lightweight flywheel will drop RPMs faster than a normal flywheel).

Removing the CDV (clutch delay valve), removing the clutch pedal spring, and installing a clutch stop are all good modifications that can improve shifting, but they will not fix rev hang.

The main cause is a delayed fuel cut programmed into the ECU. Today's cars including all Mk7s have drive-by wire, so the gas pedal just provides input to the ECU, which then outputs to the throttle. So when you take your foot off the gas, the ECU can delay the fuel cut per its algorithm (what the engineers have programmed in). This is done to reduce emissions--which is a good thing. But frustrating in how it affects our shifting.

Here is a good description of rev hang as implemented by VW specifically, but it's the same principle for all MT cars today:
https://www.autoweek.com/news/techn...revs-slowly-on-purpose-to-curb-nox-emissions/

And here is a detailed video description for the geeks:

4. How can we deal with rev hang to shift more smoothly and minimize transmission/clutch wear?
First, there are two situations where rev hang is much less pronounced: when the engine is cold (first couple of minutes after starting the engine), and when the AC is on. I'm not sure exactly why the AC affects it so much, but the AC compressor is driven by the serpentine belt on the engine so it applies load directly to the engine.

When engine is warm and you are not using AC, here are tips to minimize rev hang:
  1. Rev above 3000 RPM before shifting. This seems to mostly eliminate rev hang. Although the RPM still does not drop as fast as I would like, it's much better.
  2. Ensure your foot is completely off the gas before depressing the clutch. Even a little pause between might be worth trying.
  3. When you don't want to go above 3000 RPM (e.g. slow acceleration to maximize fuel economy), deal with the rev hang and wait for RPMs to drop before shifting (not just before letting clutch out--wait to shift it into the next gear to minimize synchro wear). The goal is to work with the transmission, not against it. It also feels great when you get a perfectly rev-matched shift—there is almost zero resistance to the lever as it slides in. Toward this end, I'd like to make a table of MPH vs RPM in each gear (which will be different for the different flavors of Mk7) to help with rev matching.
Other tips? Thoughts? Complaints? If folks have information or corrections that are verifiable and not just opinion, I will gladly update this post!

EDIT: added a poll to the thread, select the two answers that apply (model year and model name). Not including TDI because diesel engines and emissions controls are so different, but if you have a manual TDI and experience rev hang, feel free to comment.

Last edited:

gbar

Ready to race!
Well said. Hopefully this thread can remain civil, this seems to be a contentious topic for some.

I'd like to learn what the tuning limitations are for VW that make an ECU rev-hang fix unfeasible. I know there are rev-hang tuning solutions for Honda, Subaru, etc...

Mandatoryclutchpedal

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Cbr1000rr, GTI S
My biggest issue is having 30+ years of driving with tons of manuals from the pre rev hang era and being a motorcycle rider.
Those raised on manual cars made after the turn of the century may not understand what they are missing or maybe rev hang is their "normal".
I don't know. Doesn't really matter. If someone claims to not have rev hang and is enjoying their car what matters is that they are enjoying their car.

Rev hang is the price paid for driving a manual in the face of modern emissions.

Prior car had it to a lesser extent but its a mid sized family sedan so workaround was simply to slow down the gear change to allow revs fall accordingly. Was fine since it was a slow revver to begin with. GTI has more of a pause and the delay valve seems to be the manufacturer solution to help smooth out rev hang induced shock at normal shift points.
The car has rev hang, just like most other manual cars on the market made since the demise of throttle cables and a year starting with a 2 and a 0.
I've already adjusted to the GTI.

VQVW

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Alltrack SE 6MT
Yes, goal is to remain civil! I welcome all comments. I'm intrigued by those who say they have experienced no rev hang. I would love to see a quick video from you guys showing the tachometer as you shift through the gears. Would request AC off, car warmed up for 5 mins. And if you can either show your feet or call out gas and clutch pedal in and out, that would be helpful. Also what model Mk7 you are driving. And also on the wish list would be to quick pop your hood and look at the silver sticker on top of the grill--do you have a SULEV or ULEV or other emissions spec?

Maybe this will help us figure some things out! I will try to make a video soon showing what I'm experiencing.

Last edited:

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I read comments of this transmission sucks stock, how do you drive thi thing smoothly, etc. and frankly it surprises me. I have very little issues with this transmission or driving it smoothly, this with a DKM MS clutch, BFI S1 engine/transmission mounts, and 034 upper and lower doggone inserts. Maybe the Fluidampr helps a bit? Dunno but like I said, very surprised.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
There is a rev hang problem with the 1-2 shift in my car. Was there since day one and CDV delete, spring delete, swirl valve delete, Audi short shifter, SS cable, bushings, heavy shift knob and a single mass flywheel have all made no difference.

Occasionally also have an issue with the 3-2 downshift, in that it won't rev up to match 2nd gear when I blip the throttle. That part may be tune related, because I'm not sure when exactly that started.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I’m happy that me complaining about rev hang has gathered some interest around it - thank you to @VQVW to starting this thread 👍

I would normally just move on with my day and drive my car because there are bigger problems in life than rev hang, lol. What’s keeping it alive for me is reading that the bigger-name tunes aren’t getting rid of it (people with tunes can confirm this though). As well as the incredible work going on right now with open source tuning, enabling us common people to tune however we’d like: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/open-source-tuning-solution.380998.

It could simply end up being impossible to fix but I think it’s worth a try. If anyone out there has some tune experience it’d be great to get your opinion. I have software experience but anything related to car programming is a whole new world.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I've definitely noticed that rev hang exists on my 2019, though I don't have video to show it. I compensate by shifting slower and letting the engine run out further, when possible. At the end of the day, I largely resigned myself that this is life, it's not a purpose-built racecar, and not being able to shift as quickly as I'd like is a price I'm willing to pay for the price to performance ratio I'm enjoying out of my GTI.

I'm also very curious/interested in the open source tuning scene, though I won't be flashing software to mine for quite a while, as I don't particularly want to void my warranty and don't have the money for a clutch kit at the moment.

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
For me, it wouldn't be that bad if I was able to bang gears. It is very annoying when you are faster than the computer. You shift, hit the gas then a second later the car the responds. So annoying it makes the car almost worthless in racing situations.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Would love to hear some input from some of the big tuners about what they can do to tune out the rev hang.