GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI to Golf R?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You don't HAVE to tune anything. It's perfectly fine from the factory.

I'm a manual purest, but the DSG is just that good. I bought one. Like Dog Dad said, the difference is negligible after financing.

My buddy has a MK5 R32 with 170k miles and his DSG shifts like a champ. Says something about VW transmissions.
You're correct that you don't have to tune the DSG but it sure is dramatically better with a tune. I hated that it gear hunted and took too much pedal pressure to downshift when making a slow speed turn onto another street. Or if say you're going 50 MPH and floor it taking literally a few seconds to kick down to a lower gear.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Looking for feedback from anyone that went from a GTI to a Golf R. I currently own a 2015 GTI PP stage 1 and the car is fantastic but my biggest gripe is when the road is even damp the car struggles for traction.

For those that made the switch, are you happy? Any regrets?

I absolutely don’t need an R, but I get a twinge of envy anytime I pass one. I also have aspirations of big power mods down the road and feel like the R is a much better platform for that.

Any feedback would be appreciated! (And yes I tried to do a search but didn’t find much for feedback of people that have owned both).
I went from a '16 GTI PP 6M to a '19 R DSG.

Honestly, I really liked the GTI when I had it. It's a great car, it's a blast to drive, it's lightish on its feet, and with a few small mods (JB4, DG shift links, dogbone insert), it's faster and more fun than it has any right to be.

But then I made the mistake of test driving a R. Like I said, the GTI was quick and fun and I have seen just how blistering quick it gets with even more mods, but the GTI platform feels like there is an eventual limit to it. You can produce all of the power that you want, but getting that power down becomes much more difficult. The R, on the other hand, feels genuinely limitless (might be a bit of hyperbole, but still). Yeah, the R doesn't feel as light on its feet as the GTI, but in exchange you get a car that feels far more planted. When you get on the gas in the corners, you don't feel it squirming all over the place for traction, you just feel it dig and go.

And don't get me started on launches. The GTI was pretty good for a FWD car, but the R just hooks up and shoves you forward.

I really do get the "mini GTR" description for the R. I liked my GTI, but I've loved my R.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
You're correct that you don't have to tune the DSG but it sure is dramatically better with a tune. I hated that it gear hunted and took too much pedal pressure to downshift when making a slow speed turn onto another street. Or if say you're going 50 MPH and floor it taking literally a few seconds to kick down to a lower gear.

I honestly haven't found any of that to be a problem. My DSG definitely doesn't take a few seconds to downshift... maybe A second.

Gear hunting may exist, but again, I've not experienced it to the extent that others have on this forum.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I honestly haven't found any of that to be a problem. My DSG definitely doesn't take a few seconds to downshift... maybe A second.

Gear hunting may exist, but again, I've not experienced it to the extent that others have on this forum.

you had DQ381. The 7-speeds have much better OEM tuning than the 6-speeds. The 6-speeds really needed a tune.

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
wondering why you prefer taller gears over shorter gears when you have a transmission that is capable of shifting in a thousandth of a second. Shorter gears = more fun, more powerful acceleration. Especially since the R has the IS38 the shorter gears help make up for the reduced spool compared to IS20.

Specifically 6th. Cruising the hwy at ~3,000 rpm vs ~2,300 in the GTI.

OP, since you have aspirations of big power mods I think the R is a better platform to pursue that goal with.

2Germans

Passed Driver's Ed
Not missing that 3rd pedal?
I did enjoy the 3rd pedal a lot in the GTI but I think after a DSG tune the R will be perfect!!

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Specifically 6th. Cruising the hwy at ~3,000 rpm vs ~2,300 in the GTI.

OP, since you have aspirations of big power mods I think the R is a better platform to pursue that goal with.

Lol word. I mean something’s gotta give. If you wanted a car with better gas mileage you should've gotten a GSW 4Motion not an R. They have very long gears, and no power!!!

For what it's worth my 1.8T Alltrack got about 32, 33mpg on the highway before going APR Stage 1 87. Now it gets 29-31. And that's with the same AWD system as the R, having much longer gears, and much less power. So really you're better off with the shorter gears.

I am looking to swap my Alltrack's transmission for a Golf R transmission, specifically for the shorter gearing. I hate tall gears, kills fun. Idc about a few mpg on the highway.

Last edited:

Pete_CFB

Ready to race!
My pocket change...

I went from a 2019 Rabbit Manual to a 2018 R DSG.

My main motivation was getting a DSG since the manual clutch is... well... we all know, its crap. After shopping around for a 2018+ GTI with DSG, it was not that much more to get into an R, bonus points since I dont like sunroofs.

So here is a bunch of things I can think of...
-I miss my GTI plaid seats. I prefer them over leather in cold winter and hot summer.
-I love the DSG. Nuff said. No upcoming clutch issues when i'll go stage 1 or beyond someday. Shifts are snappy, even moreso since I did a DSG re-learn(car had 25k miles with unknown service history).
-I loved the 4-Motion this winter. No comparison there
-The R feels like its built better for some reason. Everything is tighter, less gaps in the interior, exterior panels seems to line up better too.
-DCC on the R has "more range". The "comfort" feel more comfortable and the "race" definitely feels stiffer then the GTI.
-The R drives like an Audi, what I mean by that is there is a luxury feel in how it drives around. Think soft spoken and carrying a big stick. The GTI felt "busier" to drive all the time, like a teenager on redbull jumping around.
-Love the digital cockpit in the R.
-Both had the fender Radio, love it.

Damn happy I went or an R. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

FB-GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
VW GTI -> Golf R
Lol word. I mean something’s gotta give. If you wanted a car with better gas mileage you should've gotten a GSW 4Motion not an R. They have very long gears, and no power!!!

For what it's worth my 1.8T Alltrack got about 32, 33mpg on the highway before going APR Stage 1 87. Now it gets 29-31. And that's with the same AWD system as the R, having much longer gears, and much less power. So really you're better off with the shorter gears.

I am looking to swap my Alltrack's transmission for a Golf R transmission, specifically for the shorter gearing. I hate tall gears, kills fun. Idc about a few mpg on the highway.
Not about mileage.

OP asked for feedback from people who have had both, gave my opinion. Moving on.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The cheapest GTR in the country is an 09 with 55k miles for 55k dollars. Not sure how comparing a car that’s over a decade older for significantly more money is hardly apples to apples.

Wasn't comparing apples to apples and didn't care to. OP wants AWD with performance in mind, well, the GT-R has that. Everybody knows they are not cheap and their re-sale value is pretty damn good.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Wasn't comparing apples to apples and didn't care to. OP wants AWD with performance in mind, well, the GT-R has that. Everybody knows they are not cheap and their re-sale value is pretty damn good.

Well it’s an asinine suggestion. You couldn’t pay me to drive a GTR ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'd drive an Aztek before a GTR. Well, an R35, they're awful. But an R32, R33 or R34 would be great. They really buggered that poor thing up.