GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Use OEM VW chains or else...

supraeazy

Passed Driver's Ed
Take it from me, guy who changed his timing chains 40k miles ago with non-oem parts, who just completed doing them again. This time with the latest revision VW chain.

The first time around I went with the Bremmen brand chain, hadn't heard anything bad and having used the brand on other cars I didnt see an issue, little did I know.

I got curious a few weeks ago and decided to check good ole block 93 in OBDeleven and saw some spooky numbers.

Screenshot_20210402-172601_OBDeleven.jpg

How could this be? After a bout of denial and checking other possible causes l decided to tear it down again to confirm. Needless to say my suspicion was correct.

20210409_192709.jpg

20210409_192538.jpg

As you can see, not in spec. The funny this is the distance between my cam gear marks were within a millimeter of spec.

Anyway after replacing im greeted with satisfactory numbers.

Screenshot_20210411-113214_OBDeleven.jpg

So yeah, use OEM chains people!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210323-123114_OBDeleven.jpg
    Screenshot_20210323-123114_OBDeleven.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 248

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Glad you got it sorted. Not a fun job to do twice. I went with all OEM stuff for my timing job since I was afraid of this. Bremmen is all Chinese parts rebranded by ECS with a euro-ish sounded name lol.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Absolutely horrifying. Thanks for posting this up, your humbleness will benefit others

WalkerT

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for posting! was looking at these kits

girevik

Great info! I check my OEM replacement for stretch occasionally. After replacement about 50k ago I'm still at 2% on a fully hot engine. That engine's coming out soon for a rebuild but going with OEM parts on such a critical piece is mandatory in my book.