GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Yet another coil over question but with a catch!

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
I've been reading up on all the suspension threads especially Hammersticks thread. But I have a very specific question.

I am considering the ST X coil over set up to pair with a new set of wheels I acquired. They are 18X9 et45. Thinking of grabbing 245/35/18 Michelin PS4S to go with them.

Will I have any issues with this set up? Or can I just bolt the coil overs on and then bolt the wheels on? Obviously I would adjust them to not rub. I just don't want to order everything, get it installed then find out it's no bueno.

2015 GTI Autobahn DSG

I currently have some VWR springs on with the stock shocks and struts and I think they've given up the ghost after 40k miles. So instead of new dampeners I thought why not upgrade to coils?

Thanks for all the help!

dave.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
What David said. Have some 5 and 10mm spacers handy just in case. 18x9 basically require a space regardless

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
Does it really? I’ve heard so many conflicting things. I guess I might try a dry fit with the wheel and see if there is enough clearance with the current setup.

I’m actually hoping to raise the car up a bit as the VWR springs are just a tad too low and the ride quality isn’t where I want it to be.

I think the 9” wheel with a 10mm in the rear would poke quite a bit.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Does it really? I’ve heard so many conflicting things. I guess I might try a dry fit with the wheel and see if there is enough clearance with the current setup.

I’m actually hoping to raise the car up a bit as the VWR springs are just a tad too low and the ride quality isn’t where I want it to be.

My 3SDM wheels were 8.5 with ET30 and they rubbed a right rear line that needed a 10mm spacer

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG

I'm speaking from experience.

I run 255/35/18 Falken 660s, which run very wide at 10.4 inch section width, your tire has a 9.8 section width.

I have an effective offset of 43 and -2.2 degrees of camber.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I am running fk510 265/35r18 with an 18x9et44 wheel. 5mm spacer in the front more for brake clearance and no spacer in the back.

Camber : F ~2.2. R ~1.4.

FTG : F 25.75. R 26

no rubbing on anything.

but I think your concern might be more about rubbing on struts

JackRabbitSLIM

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I had ST X coilovers and 18x9 +45 wheels with 245/40/18 PS4S. I needed a little bit of spacer in the rear to clear the filler neck like David is saying. I used a 5mm, it's possible 3mm would have worked.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
I am running fk510 265/35r18 with an 18x9et44 wheel. 5mm spacer in the front more for brake clearance and no spacer in the back.

no rubbing on anything.

good example. What we're all thinking of is once you add in camber, your inner upper corner might be hitting the strut....even with that ET.

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
I had ST X coilovers and 18x9 +45 wheels with 245/40/18 PS4S. I needed a little bit of spacer in the rear to clear the filler neck like David is saying. I used a 5mm, it's possible 3mm would have worked.
Is it the squared off shoulders of that particular tire? Or just the size of the wheel in general? Do you have any pics of the rear wheels with the spacers on?

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie
I'm speaking from experience.

I run 255/35/18 Falken 660s, which run very wide at 10.4 inch section width, your tire has a 9.8 section width.

I have an effective offset of 43 and -2.2 degrees of camber.
Got it. I really appreciate your help with this. Again, I just don't want to get everything going then find out there are issues afterwards. I'd rather know from the start in order to mitigate any issues.

goinkin

Go Kart Newbie

no rubbing on anything.

I wonder if there is difference in size with the Dinan coils vs the STX.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I wonder if there is difference in size with the Dinan coils vs the STX.
Probably and keep in mind I have Golf 1.8, not a GTI. So not sure if there are any other differences