GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe or FMIC?

Benjimk7

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Non-PP
Hi all,

Brand new to the Mk7 scene (haven’t even been in my car a year yet).

I have a JB4 and a catback, however I am planning on continuing to mod. My next upgrade is either going to be a DP or a FMIC, since both options should fall around the same price range. Without a flash tune, I don’t see any real reason why to get a DP as of yet, while the inter cooler may pair nicely with the JB4. Yet, the DP may also allow for more power... I hope you can see my predicament here. Wish I could just do both, but don’t have the cash to do both right away.

any input appreciated!
Thanks!

pdisguise

Go Kart Newbie
Could do the Majestic IC and Rev 9 Downpipe to save some $. A few years ago I ran a 12.8@109 with a JB4 and downpipe, so JB4 does see gains with a Downpipe. I’d honestly do intercooler first if you live somewhere that gets pretty hot during the summer.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Since summer is coming up so I'd say FMIC. Looks like you have a MK7, so make sure you don't have the radar in middle of the lower grille - otherwise it won't fit and you'll have to go with a stock location IC.

Hambone

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2020 TR GTI SE
Intercooler first. This mod has benefits for even a stock vehicle. My IATs on stock IC yesterday were around 120f while moving/ under load (ambient was 90). A good FMIC will easily drop those to a few degrees above ambient in same conditions.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Can't max out the downpipe gains without the upgrade to the IC. So the sequence should be IC first or do them at the same time.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Since summer is coming up so I'd say FMIC. Looks like you have a MK7, so make sure you don't have the radar in middle of the lower grille - otherwise it won't fit and you'll have to go with a stock location IC.
His profile says he has a GTI S so, no concern here.

I agree with above. I have a JB4 and just the IC installed and it allowed me to push my boost a few clicks higher and the car feels great with the IC installed.

Downpipe will go on, but not until the fall and with a EQ tune set in combination.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
A downpipe with a catback could be unbearably loud. Choose your components wisely. I'd do the IC first, then tune the JB4 again.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Intercooler. The intake temps affect the JB4 more than a higher flowing downpipe would. You're in Temecula...its can get pretty hot over there.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Are you installing yourself or paying someone? An intercooler will require more labor hours, especially if you're considering one in the OE location, so keep that in mind. I would also agree that an IC is the better starting point. Heck, after being through a lot of modding myself, I'm not even interested in aftermarket downpipes anymore. My car is not a dyno queen and I could care less about quarter mile times. And I sure as sh*t don't want to worry about emissions down the road. As has been said, a better IC will help a stock car especially in certain geographies.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Many sources have solidified my choice to do the "bicooler" setup, as the revised thickness (90mm) coolers seem to perform very well and not have a large impact on spool time/turbo lag, and are far less labor-intensive than the OEM-replacement sandwich mount intercoolers. I've got one coming from CSK (appears to be a Majesty/GCode clone) that cost me right around $300, which I think is reasonable. Definitely cheaper than the Forge model I was looking at before, and I won't be terribly upset if it's not as effective as other options, because of the pricetag and ease of installation.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Many sources have solidified my choice to do the "bicooler" setup, as the revised thickness (90mm) coolers seem to perform very well and not have a large impact on spool time/turbo lag, and are far less labor-intensive than the OEM-replacement sandwich mount intercoolers. I've got one coming from CSK (appears to be a Majesty/GCode clone) that cost me right around $300, which I think is reasonable. Definitely cheaper than the Forge model I was looking at before, and I won't be terribly upset if it's not as effective as other options, because of the pricetag and ease of installation.

I lost track in the other thread due to spending 6 pages arguing with @Keehs360 about what kind of intercooler is better, so you might have already seen this. But if you didn't, make sure to order a 2.25" silicone coupler (something like this). You'll need it to fill the gap in the hoses going to the stock intercooler. You only need like 2x 1" lengths, so one coupler can be cut down.