GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Tunes - let's talk through this

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Not sure if they're known up in Canada, but there is also 5150...
Of course, we’ve heard of and listened to Van Halen - rest well, sir!

Last edited:

DipLowDolla

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I’m in the same boat as well.. My IS38 is ordered. I have all the other bolt ons, IC, DP, Intake, Inlet/outlet pipes, Cat Back.
My tune is IE Stage 2/93 and DSG.
it’s $350 for the IS38 tune and the numbers say 396 at the crank on 93. Is there anything to gain with the COBB/EQT over the IE? Other than emptying my wallet significantly more.. lol.
I thought about Hybrid, Fuel upgrade, etc.. but not now. Probably later.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
That's why I had the remote dyno tune.

Jim we know you rip it on the street every day. You don't build up 400 plus HP to deliver medicine while driving like Mrs. Daisy 😂

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Jim we know you rip it on the street every day. You don't build up 400 plus HP to deliver medicine while driving like Mrs. Daisy 😂

"But officer, this is an emergency! Mr. Hornswoggler needs his blue pills or Eunice is going to bingo night with Milton instead!"

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I'm not bashing your job, Jim.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I’m in the same boat as well.. My IS38 is ordered. I have all the other bolt ons, IC, DP, Intake, Inlet/outlet pipes, Cat Back.
My tune is IE Stage 2/93 and DSG.
it’s $350 for the IS38 tune and the numbers say 396 at the crank on 93. Is there anything to gain with the COBB/EQT over the IE? Other than emptying my wallet significantly more.. lol.
I thought about Hybrid, Fuel upgrade, etc.. but not now. Probably later.
I haven't seen much feedback on the IE tunes.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
You could also add APR to that list. That's the tune I have and I like it. Going to flash to the high TQ tune once my new clutch is installed and broken in.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
You could also add APR to that list. That's the tune I have and I like it. Going to flash to the high TQ tune once my new clutch is installed and broken in.
What's the deal with them? I heard they stopped tuning for aftermarket downpipes...? Otherwise, I'd most likely go APR.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
What's the deal with them? I heard they stopped tuning for aftermarket downpipes...? Otherwise, I'd most likely go APR
I spoke with the shop I go to and they confirmed that APR has discontinued the Stage 2 tune for the GTI and Golf R but weirdly still offer all flavours of IS38 tunes for the GTI. We both found it strange but it worked out for me in the end. I considered other tunes but at the time wanted a low TQ tune that APR offers. To add to that, since I was already an APR customer the upgrade to the IS38 tune was "only" around $250CAD if I remember correctly. It's absolutely ludicrous that Unitronic charges another $800 to upgrade for existing customers .

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
APR is the best bang for your buck is38 tune IMO, it’s proven reliable roughly 360whp and what I run on my car.

FCP is a no brainer for the is38, who doesn’t want a lifetime warranty?

Not 100% on topic, but for arguments sake here you go as well

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I'll be going with GIAC's IS38 tune down the road. I've used several tunes in different platforms and GIAC has always been the smoothest and most reliable, if not the most powerful. And they even offer an IS38 tune on the stock downpipe which is exactly what I wanted so as to not worry about emissions...all you need is an intake, IC, and they recommend a higher flowing catback.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'll be going with GIAC's IS38 tune down the road. I've used several tunes in different platforms and GIAC has always been the smoothest and most reliable, if not the most powerful. And they even offer an IS38 tune on the stock downpipe which is exactly what I wanted so as to not worry about emissions...all you need is an intake, IC, and they recommend a higher flowing catback.
https://www.giacusa.com/news_item.php?id=218

Thanks for this - they look to be about 60 lb/ft lower than the rest in the Torque department.