Aggressive wheel fitment thread/stance

madface1

Go Kart Newbie
Getting it dialed in with the new 255s

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
Nice wheels, got the same set. What are the specs?
17x9 +45 w/5mm spacers 255/40/17 Nitto nt05. on coilovers as well.

swapping the Nitto's for Accellera 651's (same specs) as soon as the weather gets a little nicer. a set of 4 tires with tax only cost me $375 shipped to my front door. the reviews on the 651's are really, really good!. if anyone is looking for a good extreme performance summer tire for low $ they're gonna be your best bet.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
17x9 +45 w/5mm spacers 255/40/17 Nitto nt05. on coilovers as well.

swapping the Nitto's for Accellera 651's (same specs) as soon as the weather gets a little nicer. a set of 4 tires with tax only cost me $375 shipped to my front door. the reviews on the 651's are really, really good!. if anyone is looking for a good extreme performance summer tire for low $ they're gonna be your best bet.
I was using the same tires at Lime rock last week. The felt good, although grip falls off after about 15 minutes. I did experience a lot of front tire wear, although that may have been the fault of my driving style.

NoNpLuS

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 golf R base
I was using the same tires at Lime rock last week. The felt good, although grip falls off after about 15 minutes. I did experience a lot of front tire wear, although that may have been the fault of my driving style.
the accerelra's? it seems like its really hard to find an optimal tire for under $200 a corner for hard core track use. i have high hopes for them however, i need a dual use summer tire atm and that fact is always gonna have limiting factors. unfortunately my car see's more back roads and car meets than track days. i need to do something about changing that. however i am super excited to be going to my first wookies.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
the accerelra's? it seems like its really hard to find an optimal tire for under $200 a corner for hard core track use. i have high hopes for them however, i need a dual use summer tire atm and that fact is always gonna have limiting factors. unfortunately my car see's more back roads and car meets than track days. i need to do something about changing that. however i am super excited to be going to my first wookies.
Yes, i have the acceleras in 200tw. For the price, I'm impressed. However, they do make a lot of noise while driving in the highway. For dual use you might be better served by a 300TW.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
35 sidewall though... Rubber band territory.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
35 sidewall though... Rubber band territory.
It’s always funny to read this...

The 35 is a aspect ratio number, therefore its height changes based on the width of the tire, to blanket say “a 35 aspect sidewall is smaller than a 40,45, etc” is incorrect.

Simply put - the 35,40,45 is a percentage based on the width of said tire so it changes.

Factory tire on a GTI is 225/40/18, at 255/35/18 is 2mm shorter, completely negligible.

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
It’s always funny to read this...

The 35 is a aspect ratio number, therefore its height changes based on the width of the tire, to blanket say “a 35 aspect sidewall is smaller than a 40,45, etc” is incorrect.

Simply put - the 35,40,45 is a percentage based on the width of said tire so it changes.

Factory tire on a GTI is 225/40/18, at 255/35/18 is 2mm shorter, completely negligible.

I always thought the 35, 40, or 45 was the height of the tire from the rims lip, regardless how wide the tire is.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I always thought the 35, 40, or 45 was the height of the tire from the rims lip, regardless how wide the tire is.
It's based on the cross section:

Aspect Ratio​

Is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.
https://www.goodyearautoservice.com...igit number after,the tire's sidewall will be.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
It's based on the cross section:

Aspect Ratio​

Is the ratio of the height of the tire's cross-section to its width. The two-digit number after the slash mark in a tire size is the aspect ratio. For example, in a size P215/65 R15 tire, the 65 means that the height is equal to 65% of the tire's width. The bigger the aspect ratio, the bigger the tire's sidewall will be.
https://www.goodyearautoservice.com/en-US/tire-basics/tire-size#:~:text=The two-digit number after,the tire's sidewall will be.

That's what I was getting at. The bigger the number, the bigger the sidewall will be and vice versa.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
That's what I was getting at. The bigger the number, the bigger the sidewall will be and vice versa.
Yes, in theory - But you still need to take tire cross section width into consideration. If we wanted to compare two extremes to highlight this we could compare a 125/65R18 vs 295/45R1812 where the latter is taller from rim to tire end:
1616887080497.png

Though more to the original sizes that started the topic:
1616887217062.png

Both clock in around 3.5" from lip to tire end.

Attachments

• 1616887210732.png
    1616887210732.png
    203.3 KB · Views: 82