GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning instrument cluster

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
How is everyone cleaning their interior instrument cluster plastic to prevent scratches? On my previous cars I always used a dry microfiber and wiped them, I tried that on my gti and I noticed some swirls in the direct sun. I have been reading around and it seems people aren’t able to even prevent swirls using a cleaner on microfiber either. I guess a can of compressed air is an option but reading around people say there is a risk of blowing dust behind the plastic, which obviously don’t want that either. Let’s hear it fellow owners, I’ve been putting off cleaning my gauges for months now

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I just use a little bit of windex on a microfiber cloth very gently. I'll have to see if in the right lighting if there are swirls but I don't notice any with indirect lighting. They probably get swirls just from the dealer prep on a new car.

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
The manual says never to wipe them dry, says to use an lcd cleaner and microfiber. However as I mentioned, others are saying that caused swirls too. Anyone do the can of compressed air?

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Been afraid to clean them..brought a soft brush but am thinking that may not be soft enough to not scratch.. I brought the plastic protection film but am stumped how to originally clean without scratching. The lenses must be the most soft and precarious plastic on earth.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Been afraid to clean them..brought a soft brush but am thinking that may not be soft enough to not scratch.. I brought the plastic protection film but am stumped how to originally clean without scratching. The lenses must be the most soft and precarious plastic on earth.

DO NOT use a brush, any brush

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
The manual says never to wipe them dry, says to use an lcd cleaner and microfiber. However as I mentioned, others are saying that caused swirls too. Anyone do the can of compressed air?
Compressed air worked fine for me. Unfortunately since I bought my car slightly used they were already scratched. I actually bought the kit jay745 linked above to try when the weather is good.

RMinNJ

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI S
Cool.. i will not use the brush. I have some meguiars interior cleanersthat says its good for plastic, dash panels, lcd panels etc but even that with my softest microfiber seems too much for this plastic. (that is what I use on the black piano trim without scratching).