GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

"Official" Lap Times Thread

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Nice smooth driving. Nice lines as well.

Looked like a gorgeous track day to boot.
Thanks. It was a very nice day. Only issue I had was with traction coming out of a few turns, namely 2 and 7. Sonoma is a fairly low grip track, and it was only about 50F out. Add that I have the non-PP open diff and it was frustrating at times trying to get the power down. Other than that everything was working great though!

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Track name: VIR Full
Track location: Virginia International Raceway
Lap time: 2:11.454
Year/model: 2019 Golf R
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: Golf R+175 pounds
Estimated wheel horsepower: 310 (dyno)
Fuel: 93
Tire size and model: 225/40-18 RE-71R (200TW)
Estimated ambient temperature: 60
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Definitely a 2:10 is possible. Stage 2 EQT, Bilstein B16 PSS10 (Non-Damptronic)

Last edited:

M3bs1

Go Kart Champion
Estimated wheel horsepower: 310
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Definitely a 2:10 is possible. Stage 2 EQT, Bilstein B16 PSS10 (Non-Damptronic)
Nice time. Any video?

Gvazquez

Go Kart Champion
Estimated wheel horsepower: 310 (dyno)
Thats fast man I'd like to see a video of your lines for sure. It would be fun to run our cars on track. Im not gonna be running my mqb anymore most likely since I wanna get better in the e46 but your R must be setup well

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
Screenshot_20210320-191801_RaceChrono.jpg

Feels great to be driving a car quick again after a long winter. Masstuning at limerock yesterday in classic config. Had a good group of VW buds for the day. First time at limerock in the real world for me.

105.03 (14hz GPS thing-y)
2017 GTi Sport
Stock tune, stock suspension, stock bars
18x8.5 wrapped in 225 Dunlop Z3
Ds2500, motul 600, rs3 plastic ducts

Predictive said I'm leaving at least 1.3s on the table but there is definitely even more than that. Still need to pull video to see if I remembered to hit record

EDIT:

pulled video and I don't have any laps close to the pace above on video but here is one at 105.9 from earlier in the day.

EDIT2: Forgot to follow format,

Track name: Limerock
Track location: Lakeville, CT
Lap time: 1:05.03
Year/model: 2017 GTI Sport
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 3,200lb
Estimated wheel horsepower: 220? Stock.
Tire size and model: Dunlop Direzza Z3 225/40/18 (~6hr of track time old)
Estimated ambient temperature: 60F
Notes on setup (turbo, suspension setup, rain, frightened, etc.): Stock alignment, Sock ARB, Stock springs. Cold PSI 34F/34R

Last edited:

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
View attachment 207173

Feels great to be driving a car quick again after a long winter. Masstuning at limerock yesterday in classic config. Had a good group of VW buds for the day. First time at limerock in the real world for me.

105.03 (14hz GPS thing-y)
2017 GTi Sport
Stock tune, stock suspension, stock bars
18x8.5 wrapped in 225 Dunlop Z3
Ds2500, motul 600, rs3 plastic ducts

Predictive said I'm leaving at least 1.3s on the table but there is definitely even more than that. Still need to pull video to see if I remembered to hit record

EDIT:

pulled video and I don't have any laps close to the pace above on video but here is one at 105.9 from earlier in the day.

I was the Geezer in the white R parked with you youngin's. It was a great day, and that is a very, very good time for a basically stock GTi. Nice driving.

Reactions: kep

Oversteermybagel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
mk7 2017 GTi Sport
I was the Geezer in the white R parked with you youngin's. It was a great day, and that is a very, very good time for a basically stock GTi. Nice driving.
Like I said: good group of VW folks. You looked to have a good combination of smooth and fast and I think I have a lot to learn from you; I can't wait to exchange passenger rides in the future

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I was the guy with the same white 7R as you. I wish I thought to ask you for a ride-along, you were looking fast out there.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
I was the guy with the same white 7R as you. I wish I thought to ask you for a ride-along, you were looking fast out there.

We all should do ride-alongs next time. You and your group all drove great. We can all learn a few things from each other. It was a really fun day, and I think the whole V-dub group stood our ground pretty well. By the end of the day I think there were a number of BMW drivers who may have been wondering why they spent all that extra money. :)

I do quite a lot of events, and the most R's I've ever seen at an event were two in addition to mine. At Lime Rock we had 4 R's and a GTi. Rare photo at a non-VW event...
20210320_192531.jpg

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Thats fast man I'd like to see a video of your lines for sure. It would be fun to run our cars on track. Im not gonna be running my mqb anymore most likely since I wanna get better in the e46 but your R must be setup well
Thanks!

It was my first time there, so I went from 2:23 first time out to 2:11.4+ the next day .... there are a couple of turns that I can carry better speed, and can definitely take the uphill esses a little faster maybe. Top speed on the back straight was 144

the car needs more brake, which I am addressing, and would do better with a some higher spring rates, especially the rear. I also use stock sizing rubber 225s...not sure if I would benefit from wider tires or not, since I would have to raise the car, so I don't really want to mess too much which the way it is setup right now. I really need to work on myself more.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Did you have the whole track to yourself? Also how much power are you making, car looks quick.

VIR looks like a super fun track, will have to visit one day.

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Did you have the whole track to yourself? Also how much power are you making, car looks quick.

VIR looks like a super fun track, will have to visit one day.
I had the first position out that session, so there were cars behind me. Car is making 310 WHP/340 TQ (AWD Dyno)

I don't have much experience at other tracks, but VIR is everything they say it is. Absolutely beautiful!

Every type of corner, combined with long straights...absolutely worth the 1100 miles i did that weekend, heck worth any mileage to visit.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I had the first position out that session, so there were cars behind me. Car is making 310 WHP/340 TQ (AWD Dyno)

I don't have much experience at other tracks, but VIR is everything they say it is. Absolutely beautiful!

Every type of corner, combined with long straights...absolutely worth the 1100 miles i did that weekend, heck worth any mileage to visit.
Going out first is just the best. Only problem I’ve run into is that sometimes your just getting into your hot laps when you catch the slowpokes at the back!

VIR, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Willow Springs (Big Willow) and COTA are my must visit tracks in the US. Might knockout Willow Springs this year. Gotta plan a few trips for the others though.