GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Park Assist, Lane Assist, Adaptive Cruise Control - Worth Getting?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
You can code the buzzers to really low (possible no) volume if you just want to see the visual of what you're going to run into, haha. I think there's a slider for the pitch of the beeping, so it can be made a bit less annoying.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
You can code the buzzers to really low (possible no) volume if you just want to see the visual of what you're going to run into, haha. I think there's a slider for the pitch of the beeping, so it can be made a bit less annoying.
I saw that in the settings somewhere. One day I’ll change it 😂

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Don’t understand the dislike for modern tech or why one would purchase a vehicle with them then. IMO they are great. Don’t like one, turn it off. Simple.

cb1111

I've not tried the self parking (I'll have to try that some day on a deserted street, but the ACC works great - I drove from PA to DC last week - set the cruise to 5 over and never touched the brakes on I-70/270, even during huge slowdowns. Lane assist takes some getting used to and I'll have to tweak it a bit, but it certainly helps. The Parking sensors are great - especially combined with the pictures of where the alert is coming from and you can turn the volume down.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I love ACC, use it every day. Can definitely be retrofitted (I did it), but unless you already have a lot of money in your car or a good reason to keep it it's probably easier to just trade it in for a new one.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I've not tried the self parking (I'll have to try that some day on a deserted street, but the ACC works great - I drove from PA to DC last week - set the cruise to 5 over and never touched the brakes on I-70/270, even during huge slowdowns. Lane assist takes some getting used to and I'll have to tweak it a bit, but it certainly helps. The Parking sensors are great - especially combined with the pictures of where the alert is coming from and you can turn the volume down.
oh man it scared the shit out of me, that shit was the devil

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I’d love to retrofit ACC. Do not have the skills but do have the money. Anyone in SE that can??!! 😎

BlackDog68

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16 GTI autobahn dsg
Short answer, I have these and wouldn’t get them again.

Detailed answer:
These came on my used Autobahn and I admit I was intrigued with them. The reality is that driving in and out of a major city the ACC is useless within 15 miles of the city, the proximity sensors are always going off for snow banks, cars pulling up on your bumper or along side you in stopped traffic. The collision avoidance is maybe worth it, it’s gone off maybe 10 times once it was actually needed.
Park assist is so slow and impeded by the Boston drivers barely missing you in their impatience to get by that I never use it.
I do like the cruise control on long trips but it’s not much better than a standard CC.
One other downside is I can’t mount a FMIC, but I think this was fixed in newer versions.
Do I hate them, no, would I pay for them, no.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I'm glad that I don't have ACC. When I'm on the highway in a non congested area I don't want to drive the speed that the guy in front of me is driving with his changing speeds.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
ACC can be nice -- it just really depends on your situation/roads.

The biggest thing is probably the forward collision avoidance system where the car will brake on its own to avoid hitting someone in front of you. For example, you check your blind spot to make a lane change, and the guy in front of you slams on his brakes at the same time. There are actually a lot of rear end collisions where this is the cause.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
My mother's elantra has the lane assist thing. I drove it once and it DROVE ME crazy. It was so weird feeling the steering wheel nudge over. I WANT TO BE IN CONTROL, not my car... Reminded me of the steering wheel when you play those arcade games and it has the feedback built into the wheel and the wheel is practically moving itself, lol. Not to mention if a sensor fails, god only knows what it's going to do while you're driving on the highway at 65+ mph...

Honestly sometimes more tech is bad. Like I think the sensor for blind spots is a great idea but if you get lazy and too used to that and forget to look yourself, what if again, a sensor goes bad? I don't know, these days we are putting too much confidence in the computers doing the work for us. Not only doing the work for us, doing the work of very easy things you can do yourself...

Parking assist, well, I've personally never experienced it. I'm sure it's good for showing off and if it works 100%, that is great. Has it ever failed? If so, who do you put the blame on and will that work in court? lol.

FlyingNugget

Go Kart Newbie
Honestly sometimes more tech is bad. Like I think the sensor for blind spots is a great idea but if you get lazy and too used to that and forget to look yourself, what if again, a sensor goes bad? I don't know, these days we are putting too much confidence in the computers doing the work for us. Not only doing the work for us, doing the work of very easy things you can do yourself...

Yeah I always thought the light indicator for blind spot was a bad idea.

A better solution would be to have a camera of your blind spot flip on in your rear view mirror so that you can keep your eyes forward, and also see what exactly is in your blind spot to determine if it's safe.