GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Scared to death

Onestick84

Car(s)
2015 golf GTI S
I posted about a month ago a fairly long question involving hesitant/long crank starting. Engine misfire on boost etc, after the car having a pcv replacement and new gaskets. I haven't gotten the car back yet, hoping this friday. So far, all my injectors have been replaced, a few coil packs, my 02 sensor, and now a full turbo replacement. They believe that the misfire issue has been solved, but the turbo is on its way out, causing the car too long crank after it has been driven. Can anyone back this claim up?
2015 6M 89k.
Also, IF i do get the car back in mechanical sorted order, is it too late mileage wise to consider a stage 1 tune?

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Need more info. Are you tuned? Any other mods?

Have you checked carbon buildup on the valves? At that mileage you may benefit from a good walnut blast.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
If it's not too late tell them replace it with an is38 turbo
Edit: on second thought this might cause problems if you can't change tunes before driving it

Last edited:

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Yikes, sounds like the shop is just throwing parts at it, at your expense, until it's "fixed".

And what's with their claim that the turbo is "on its way out", because "long cranking"? Never heard of a failing turbo causing long cranking. Do these guys have any idea what they are doing?

Onestick84

Car(s)
2015 golf GTI S
Yikes, sounds like the shop is just throwing parts at it, at your expense, until it's "fixed".

And what's with their claim that the turbo is "on its way out", because "long cranking"? Never heard of a failing turbo causing long cranking. Do these guys have any idea what they are doing?
I am assuming not lol, its at the dealership under warranty, I am pretty sure it won't fix the problem

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
They believe that the misfire issue has been solved, but the turbo is on its way out, causing the car too long crank after it has been driven.

Who in the VW dealership is saying that? There may be something lost in translation, did they mention something in between? Turbo dumping oil...... causing long crank somehow, etc...

The sale / service advisors have no idea about cars, they never do, see if you can speak to one of the tech's..... make them explain, be nice

injectors have been replaced, a few coil packs, my 02 sensor

Did the dealer do all this? Why would they replace "a few" of the coil packs? I don't see a dealer rotating coil packs around to diagnose faulty ones and actually single out the bad ones... then recommending you at 89k (km?) to just replace some....

O2 sensor? maybe they think your turbo "on its way out" killed it? ... injectors? do they think you have a fuel issue? misfires? ... the coils... they really didnt explain all this?

edit:

I cant think of why the turbo would affect cranking at all. Time to take the car back and find a different place to bring it.

Long shot, but oil into the intake from dying turbo = oil/gunk in the intake valves = long crank?

It is a 2015, known for the bad turbos, but maybe they are getting ahead of themselves and the car just needs a nice walnut blast

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
I am assuming not lol, its at the dealership under warranty, I am pretty sure it won't fix the problem
They're going to warranty a car with 89,000 miles on it? You're from Oregon so I didn't think you meant kilometers.

Warfe-Motorsports

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 MQB
long crank to start could mean so many different things. One major considering misfire issues could be high pressure fuel pump or crank and cam shaft correlation (stretched chains or tensioner going bad possibly). the turbo should have nothing to do with a long start up.