GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DBV2 V3 TBB Hybrid Turbo

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
what benefits we get from switching to full frame turbo besides power gain?
bigger inlet, better bearing cartridge, different compressor and turbine aero.

Yep, what The Dude said. Plus, they are more stable/reliable and it takes them less effort to create the same whp compare to the max whp of a hybrid. For an example, let's take my car that has a hybrid. It makes 528 whp at 34.5 lbs of boost whereas the full frame turbo can make that same whp but at 24 lbs of boost (as an example).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
what benefits we get from switching to full frame turbo besides power gain?
what they said, plus speed sensors and potentially lower EGTs as well, though monitoring the latter would require a solution besides cobb. For larger VE tuning you'd likely be best off with a standalone unless those tables get fully exposed (and most of the really big power MQB cars are probably on syvecs at this point).

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
what they said, plus speed sensors and potentially lower EGTs as well, though monitoring the latter would require a solution besides cobb. For larger VE tuning you'd likely be best off with a standalone unless those tables get fully exposed (and most of the really big power MQB cars are probably on syvecs at this point).
Nope, most are UM or EQT. A syvecs will run you 4 G's, plus actually tuning it, and you'll still need a UM TCU flash to hold the power.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Nonetheless, while UM can do speed sensors, I'm not sure if they can do EGTs and EQT is limited by what cobb exposes. Both would be pretty useful for large turbo cars making significant power. Not sure if it's the block limits or VE tuning or what, but anyone coming close to 800 or more is running a 5cylinder at this point.

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
Consensus seems to be around 430 wtq stock block, slightly more if it doesn't come on too hard. 480 wtq, ish, for the dsg clutches with a tune, 5-600 wtq for the stock gearset in the DSG. So if you want to put say, 750 wtq to the ground, you're looking at a built motor and trans, with dodson clutches and a pissed off tcu tune. I'd imagine your axles get obliterated in there too somewhere.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
Man you guys rock. Thanks for the offer

Down here in SE but work may take me to VA area. Looking to open a POP up there possibly.