GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is38 oem plus or vortex hybrid

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
What’s your power goal? What fuel do you plan to use? Are you at altitude? What is “all the supporting mods”? You need some more parameters before your question can be answered.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Are you leaving your gauge plugged in or just when you test fuel when you fill it?

We are using the same stations and I fill up once a week at min, and even when I was on the jr e30 mix and using “online calculators” was never accurate unless I input the e85 more at e65-70. So someone’s sensor is reading wrong lol.

If your 91 is 10% and your ethanol is at the pump is 70% 1.1 is not achievable, you need pure 85% for that mix.

Murphy’s is NEVER 85%... on super good batch’s it’s only over 60% . even the best station in town that has a good min rating guarantee of %75 is always below 80.

I’ve had a case where the tank was at E61 and i was at 1/2 tank and was near the Murphy’s station so I decided to add 3-4 gallons of e85 and see where the gauge landed before I well and got shell it is dropped my content down to e57...
That’s why when you read the Murphy pump they only guarantee to not be below E50.

Have you tested any of the stick you store in the garage with one of the glass bottle testing kits? I never tried one at the pump cause I didn’t want to be that bill Nye looking person at the pump, lol. Maybe I will have to to make sure my sensor is right.

Gauge runs full time. ~2:1 91 octane and e85 makes it read ~30 and always has, which is what's supposed to happen.

Dunno what to tell you.

Maybe when they see you coming, they throw the switch to divert to the sludge tank? :ROFLMAO:

If I really cared, I'd detach the sensor and pump some E85 through it from one jug to another for a reading.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Gauge runs full time. ~2:1 91 octane and e85 makes it read ~30 and always has, which is what's supposed to happen.

Dunno what to tell you.

Maybe when they see you coming, they throw the switch to divert to the sludge tank? :ROFLMAO:

If I really cared, I'd detach the sensor and pump some E85 through it from one jug to another for a reading.
Unless your sensor and not mine is reading off😂

Just lucky I guess to be the only guy in Vegas getting full e85 content 😂😂

I talk and know a couple of other locals that run ethanol in various cars (supercharged mustang, bucket stick, vortex golf R, ko4 mk6) and none have found a pump that’s puts out 85%...

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Then my sensor is off by the exact amount needed to make it say 30 when using this suspect E85 in the ratio that's supposed to make e30. That is some coincidence.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Would it be bad to run a "conservative" low 400ish hp (420whp?) tune on a Vortex standard, pump gas without HPFP upgrade? I have no E readily available anywhere near me, so no illusions of going further than that and rather not do HPFP if doesn't cause any issues without. Or does an IS38 make more sense? Just doing some future planning so I don't waste time/money going down a route I end up regretting. Cheers.
I think without the HPFP on the Vortex you would be between 400-420 HP. In another post you mentioned getting 380 HP on the IS38 and you won't without ethanol. Expect about 360 HP max. I would go with the Vortex because you can always add the HPFP internals and get more HP. The HPFP on the IS38 will still be about 360 HP max.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
I just wanted to chime in I have a buddy tuned with a is38 91 octane dsg and a I’m tuned on a is20 stage 2 6speed 91 octane with 2 gallons of E mixed both of our cars were running side by side and even though his car was pulling on me by a car or two. I personally think the is38 is a waste of money at this point. Go with the vortex just so you know you have lots of headroom if you ever want more. The is38 is great but just not enough.

Escape Hatch

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Vortex XL all day...
20210303_170953.jpg

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Then my sensor is off by the exact amount needed to make it say 30 when using this suspect E85 in the ratio that's supposed to make e30. That is some coincidence.
filled up last night at 10:30 at the Craig and Jones station, car took 8.9xxx gallons of e85. Tank was at E55 before filling it with right under 9 gallons of only ethanol, the cars now at e67/e68...

math says - if based on 12 gallons total should been at E78, 13 gallons Total E77, 14 gallons total E76.

I wouldn’t say “suspect” e85, as it’s known around the county that pure 85% isn’t common out of the pumps, Hence the disclaimer directly on the gas pump and the reason for race fuel companies selling True % e85fuel on barrels.

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
What's the rule of thumb when it comes to ethanol? Pour more, rather than less? Correct?

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
What's the rule of thumb when it comes to ethanol? Pour more, rather than less? Correct?
AFAIK yes but unless you have the necessary fueling upgrades you don't want it to be too much higher than e30

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Motor is stock but to be fair those numbers are virtual dyno. The 60-130 times say I'm probably somewhere in that hp range.
That's just impressive as far as stock internals. Remember the days of early 2000s where most 4bangers would bust over 300hp. Nowadays you can take something that came out of the factory and double its performance/hp and still not have to touch anything inside the engine. It's crazy. Just to think how detuned/limited they come from factory when all the potential is right there. The majority of the folks including casuals that lease the car or just think the car is what it is have no idea they could get up to nearly 500hp out of the little 4 banger. Of course, they wouldn't want to go the route of modding the f**k out of it to hit those numbers, but they just have no clue the potential is there... Sitting! Lying in the bushes! Waiting to pounce! :ROFLMAO: