GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS tuning selling open-box returns?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Haven't had any glaring issues with my recent ECS orders.. yet. Suppose it's time to switch vendors as this seems to be a recurring theme with them. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I haven't had any problems with the products I've purchased from them.
They've all been brand names though. And I use PayPal so I'm not concerned about their past breaches that exposed credit card numbers.

SamFortun

Passed Driver's Ed
Sucks you had that happen. I’ve been ordering parts from them for a long time and have never had an issue. Interested to hear their response!
They got back to me today, acknowledged that they now have a record of the issue in case there's an issue when I get around to installing it. They offered to give me a full refund and ship it back, or 10% back and I can keep it. I took the 10% and hoping the gauge works.

Tornado18GTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
18 GTI MT 12 GLI
Yes, they seem to have these ups and downs. I expect to hear about new credit card issues again soon.
I've ordered from them within the last year but I definitely hear about things going wrong more frequently then not, also why I always use PayPal to avoid them having my credit card info. FCP Euro is a great option picked up a ton of stuff for my 12' GLI and my MK4 GLS. Ship times are awesome too.

SamFortun

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I finally got a chance to install the gauge a couple weeks ago and it was completely dead. Needle wouldn't move at all. The line to the boost tap was fine, I could feel the vacuum on my thumb when I put it over the open end. Emailed ECS two weeks ago, no response. Again this morning, no response. Fair to say I got screwed on this.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well I finally got a chance to install the gauge a couple weeks ago and it was completely dead. Needle wouldn't move at all. The line to the boost tap was fine, I could feel the vacuum on my thumb when I put it over the open end. Emailed ECS two weeks ago, no response. Again this morning, no response. Fair to say I got screwed on this.
Call them. I always get right through on the phone.

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
I always used ECS when GAP didn't have the parts I needed. Had some issues with their "ultimate" 12v vr6 timing chain kit and then I luckily found FCP, DAP, and Uro when I picked up my Rabbit.

Edit: Forgot about BFI too, an of course German Auto Parts

Their website is useful for copying and pasting part #'s to enter in other websites.

Last edited:

SamFortun

Passed Driver's Ed
Call them. I always get right through on the phone.
They finally responded to my email this AM, and we went back and forth via email. They are refusing to refund and offering only an exchange (which they made clear would consist of two separate transactions - a return and refund, and a new order being placed with my existing credit card number). This is despite the fact I had been told back in March that doing a refund in the future would be no problem, since I had brought the open-box to their attention back in February. I forwarded that email to their customer service this morning, and did not receive a response. I also called but after about 20 min on hold decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Looks like I learned a $200 lesson. It's only worth so much time, effort, and stress to get back $200, and I've definitely reached that point.

To anyone thinking of ordering from ECS, please consider stories like this one. I know some people say they have had good experiences, but the number of horror stories related to ECS are far higher than any of the other outfits. Don't gamble, just go with an established company such as FCP, DAP, or Uro as @SPLR337 said above.

Learn from my mistake!

Turbongr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7
They finally responded to my email this AM, and we went back and forth via email. They are refusing to refund and offering only an exchange (which they made clear would consist of two separate transactions - a return and refund, and a new order being placed with my existing credit card number). This is despite the fact I had been told back in March that doing a refund in the future would be no problem, since I had brought the open-box to their attention back in February. I forwarded that email to their customer service this morning, and did not receive a response. I also called but after about 20 min on hold decided it wasn't worth the hassle.

Looks like I learned a $200 lesson. It's only worth so much time, effort, and stress to get back $200, and I've definitely reached that point.

To anyone thinking of ordering from ECS, please consider stories like this one. I know some people say they have had good experiences, but the number of horror stories related to ECS are far higher than any of the other outfits. Don't gamble, just go with an established company such as FCP, DAP, or Uro as @SPLR337 said above.

Learn from my mistake!

That's really fucked up.

My last order with them will be just that.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I almost ordered from them and I’m so glad I haven’t. If it were me, it’s not about the $200 it’s about proper customer service. They should honor what they say and back the fact they knew they sold you a beat product.