GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Carbon buildup pics at 65K

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Well in my covid boredom, I decided to pull my intake manifold and take a look at how my valves are doing.

Quick background, car has 65k was stock until 30k and then did an is38+ aka baby hybrid at 55k. Other than that just full bolt-ons, no MPI
Oil was changed every 5-6k

I do 100% beat on the car and have tried the 'Italian tune-up' before. I have also dealt with the oil surge issue on the track a few times until I swapped to a Spluuen full PCV kit recently

Was a bit of a pain to get the intake manifold off, and I did it all without going under the car which had me run into a few snags but was able to do it in about 1.5 hours

This is my first DI car so no real idea on what's considered a good or bad build-up

Cylinders 1-3, 4 looked the same

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

Will be cleaning tomorrow as it got too cold and dark

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Thanks for sharing. Not too bad for 65k.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Not terrible but still some good chunks on the stems. I would make sure you clean as much off as possible since you already have it off.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Are you planning to media blast, scape, both? Thinking of tackling a cleaning myself with the FCPeuro guide/video on it so subbed for more info.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
That's not bad at all. I've got similar mileage. I own pretty much everything one needs to blast, but I'm still not planning on doing very soon. Your pics only make me feel better about that decision.

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
Update

Got em clean by closing the valves and then picking the largest chunks with tool picks, then vacuuming it out.

Then filled the entire intake port with carb cleaner, let it soak then used wire brushes and the zip tie method the break up everything else, sucked everything out with a shop vac.

Car sputtered a bit on first startup, but now 100% feels faster and I hit peak boost around 1.2 PSI lower

Some tips on how I did it.

Everything can be done without jacking the car up and with basic hand tools, I also have a magic IC which decreases clearance as well

1. I used the ECS tuning throttle body boost tap install guide as a reference for removal. The FCP euro guide has you remove the throttle body separately, which requires the removal of the charge pipe, and more coolant lines. I was able to follow ECS and remove the manifold with it still attached.
2. Go out and buy 3-4 of these bolts N91089601. They strip easily if you're not careful and it is super easy to drop them. (Dropped 1 stripped 1)
3. The bolts are T-30 make sure you have a long (4-5in) skinny T-30 bit, as there are holes in the manifold to pass a tool through to get them out. A normal socket is too fat (I used a long 4mm Allen socket, ended up stripping one with this though)
4. The fuel fuse in the engine bay fuse box DOES NOT disable the car from priming the HPFP. Remove the battery. If you have a DSG put it in neutral before removing the battery.
5. The manifold bracket with the 13mm nut up top and 10 square bottom does not need to be removed. Simply loosen the 10mm square and remove the top nut. You will have enough wiggle in the bracket to get the manifold over it.
6. There is a specific order to retorque the manifold nuts and bolts
7. Disconnecting the line that runs from the reservoir to the hard pipe bolted to the manifold makes your life 10x easier. This isn't mentioned in the ECS guide. Should lose minimal coolant.
8. The hardest part of the entire install is removing the bottom 17mm an style fitting on the hard HPFP line. This has to come out for the manifold to be removed, you pretty much just have to jam an open-ended wrench in there to get on it. (If you have a skinny or small 17mm wrench this may be easier). This is also the hardest part of reinstallation. Get the manifold on the two studs and then reinstall the fuel line before doing any of the manifold bolts.
9. Remove the spark plugs. This lets you put a 24mm socket on the pully bolt on the serpentine belt and turn the motor over by hand. Also able to do this from above the car.

Really besides that stupid HPFP line (I removed the entire pump to make my life easier), the job wasn't too bad. All the connectors match up pretty easily.

Photo of the T-30 bit needed. (A 4mm Allen one will work in a pinch but you run the risk of stripping)
31c23fdac54f2f6e93b3bd635f0f52ff.png

Edit - Easiest way to make sure the valves are closed is to stick something in the empty spark plug hole onto the piston. I used an old plastic gas line yard flag. (Make sure it's clean!) Rotate the engine over by hand. When the flag or whatever it is, is at its highest point aka top dead center, the valves for the cylinder are closed. You should also be turning the engine clockwise but this really shouldn't matter

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Update

Got em clean by closing the valves and then picking the largest chunks with tool picks, then vacuuming it out.

Then filled the entire intake port with carb cleaner, let it soak then used wire brushes and the zip tie method the break up everything else, sucked everything out with a shop vac.

Car sputtered a bit on first startup, but now 100% feels faster and I hit peak boost around 1.2 PSI lower

Some tips on how I did it.

Everything can be done without jacking the car up and with basic hand tools, I also have a magic IC which decreases clearance as well

1. I used the ECS tuning throttle body boost tap install guide as a reference for removal. The FCP euro guide has you remove the throttle body separately, which requires the removal of the charge pipe, and more coolant lines. I was able to follow ECS and remove the manifold with it still attached.
2. Go out and buy 3-4 of these bolts N91089601. They strip easily if you're not careful and it is super easy to drop them. (Dropped 1 stripped 1)
3. The bolts are T-30 make sure you have a long (4-5in) skinny T-30 bit, as there are holes in the manifold to pass a tool through to get them out. A normal socket is too fat (I used a long 4mm Allen socket, ended up stripping one with this though)
4. The fuel fuse in the engine bay fuse box DOES NOT disable the car from priming the HPFP. Remove the battery. If you have a DSG put it in neutral before removing the battery.
5. The manifold bracket with the 13mm nut up top and 10 square bottom does not need to be removed. Simply loosen the 10mm square and remove the top nut. You will have enough wiggle in the bracket to get the manifold over it.
6. There is a specific order to retorque the manifold nuts and bolts
7. Disconnecting the line that runs from the reservoir to the hard pipe bolted to the manifold makes your life 10x easier. This isn't mentioned in the ECS guide. Should lose minimal coolant.
8. The hardest part of the entire install is removing the bottom 17mm an style fitting on the hard HPFP line. This has to come out for the manifold to be removed, you pretty much just have to jam an open-ended wrench in there to get on it. (If you have a skinny or small 17mm wrench this may be easier). This is also the hardest part of reinstallation. Get the manifold on the two studs and then reinstall the fuel line before doing any of the manifold bolts.
9. Remove the spark plugs. This lets you put a 24mm socket on the pully bolt on the serpentine belt and turn the motor over by hand. Also able to do this from above the car.

Really besides that stupid HPFP line (I removed the entire pump to make my life easier), the job wasn't too bad. All the connectors match up pretty easily.

Photo of the T-30 bit needed. (A 4mm Allen one will work in a pinch but you run the risk of stripping)
View attachment 204858

Edit - Easiest way to make sure the valves are closed is to stick something in the empty spark plug hole onto the piston. I used an old plastic gas line yard flag. (Make sure it's clean!) Rotate the engine over by hand. When the flag or whatever it is, is at its highest point aka top dead center, the valves for the cylinder are closed. You should also be turning the engine clockwise but this really shouldn't matter
Question. Out of curiosity. Why put the dsg in neutral before removing the battery? Should that always be done when removing the battery?

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
I had the issue of the car not letting me go into neutral with the battery disconnected. Neutral is just so I could turn the motor over by hand. I also had the HPFP out and it was quite fun slapping the battery back into the car quick while my buddy shifted it from park to neutral.

Usually, if I do any work I just leave it in park with the ebrake on. It dawned on me once I had the entire car apart that I probably couldn't turn the motor over with the parking prawl on

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Fack. Gotta do mine, but no way I do that on my own, just not keen to give a shop $500CAD for this.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Fack. Gotta do mine, but no way I do that on my own, just not keen to give a shop $500CAD for this.

$500CAD ($400USD) wouldn't be too bad for this service. When the time comes, I'd be happy to pay $400 for this service.