GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adding auxiliary radiator

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Get a fmic then? Even swapping to a fmic + bigger radiator is less of a headache than what you’re wanting to do with an aux radiator.

aux radiators are a huge point of failure that you’ll introduce dude. Besides, the shittiest fmic will outperform the best stock location intercooler. That shopdap video really has the gti community sipping some weird koolaid dude

I’m not saying stock location intercoolers are bad. I’m just saying, I saw the logs for an is38 on the ecs front mount. And I seen a fuck ton of logs for is38’s with IE, apr, mishi etc stock location intercoolers. And I saw a is38 log on @GTI Jake ’s intercooler. And front mount by far is superior as hell by very large margins. Especially jake’s, only saw a single log but as soon as dude let off the gas the temps were ambient again in less than 2-3 seconds!

it’s cynical to think an aux radiator is the way. Respectfully speaking, if you’re gonna do it. Consider more research and do things right. Especially if you’re gonna track any

👍🏽

Edit. Grammar and spelling.

Agree with you on the aux radiator being a huge failure but disagree on a fmic being superior to stock location IC. I'll take my stock location IC anyday over a fmic.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Agree with you on the aux radiator being a huge failure but disagree on a fmic being superior to stock location IC. I'll take my stock location IC anyday over a fmic.
The stock intercooler sets the bar pretty low dude. Anything is an upgrade. But fmic performs better than a stock location upgrade that has like 30-50% more volume

location location location

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The stock intercooler sets the bar pretty low dude. Anything is an upgrade. But fmic performs better than a stock location upgrade that has like 30-50% more volume

location location location

That's not entirely true. The difference between the two is so minuscule that it really just comes down to preference. The only advantage that I've seen with fmic is that they cool down faster during stop and go traffic.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
That's not entirely true. The difference between the two is so minuscule that it really just comes down to preference. The only advantage that I've seen with fmic is that they cool down faster during stop and go traffic.
Plus the upgraded stock mount location flow more volume than any FMIC that I'm aware of.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
What he is saying is that location wise a front mount is MORE effective and efficient everytime. It’s a heat exchanger - being sandwiched between to other heat exchangers is less than ideal but the necessary trade off for a a factory application.

Now yes - stock location has more room, but if you compare a front mount (obviously mods required) worth the same volume/surface area it’s will for the same but dissipate heat better and hinder the radiators efficiency the same if not less.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That’s crazy. Considering a stock location intercooler needs way more volume to ALMOST perform as good as a front mount with stock intercooler volume.

location location location. Paging dr @GTI Jake

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
What he is saying is that location wise a front mount is MORE effective and efficient everytime. It’s a heat exchanger - being sandwiched between to other heat exchangers is less than ideal but the necessary trade off for a a factory application.

Now yes - stock location has more room, but if you compare a front mount (obviously mods required) worth the same volume/surface area it’s will for the same but dissipate heat better and hinder the radiators efficiency the same if not less.
I dunno. Super charged mini’s, wrx’s and sti’s don’t seem to have that problem

now if we are talking motor sports applications. Sure, something will need to be engineered. Or swapping to a larger volume radiator. Or some shit.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
That’s not a good thing. It kinda proves that volume had to be drastically increased for the sake of keeping outlet cooler longer.

That pretty much goes for every IC. When I'm at cruising speeds, there's only a couple of degrees difference between my IAT's and the Ambient Temps. The best I've seen mine get is a 1 degree difference. Every time I've had my car on the dyno, every pull is pretty much on top of one another. You may think being sandwiched between the A/C condenser and radiator affects it but it actually doesn't.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
That pretty much goes for every IC. When I'm at cruising speeds, there's only a couple of degrees difference between my IAT's and the Ambient Temps. The best I've seen mine get is a 1 degree difference. Every time I've had my car on the dyno, every pull is pretty much on top of one another. You may think being sandwiched between the A/C condenser and radiator affects it but it actually doesn't.
lets agree to disagree then, cuz i track on a 2.4 mile course and i know for a fact that I will need to go with a front mount or the largest volume stock location (the IE v2). I do not want the pressure drop and lame performance i will get with the IE. that IE is like over 1100 cubic inches or some shit, that is fucking Ludacris and yet it wont perform the way a 500-600 cubic inch front mount would. that is absolutely absurd, ridiculous and weird that this community prefers that.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Food for thought, calling out people like DAP who claim direct replacement is superior;

Audi has the OEM intercooler up front where it belongs on everything but MQB...the sandwiched location is an economy car cost cutting technique (keep all Mqb the same, save money).

The same poor design is used on base golf, and all the VW SUV. They didn’t put it there because it was good for performance, it was a compromise decision.

My FMIC at 661 cubic inch core volume outperforms most direct replacements up to the point where the core volume/flow rate is overwhelmed (which only happens on cars with MPI fueled hybrids or full frame). For those guys there’s a bigger option, the V2 (which will require some bumper rebar trimming).

The original V2 prototype kept the 600whp R it’s on cool for hot lapped ten second passes last season, and will be back with around 700whp this year. Unfortunately that intercooler core was discontinued by the manufacturer, so it’s time to re start development with another core. At 808 cubic inches it’s substantially larger and will flow well enough to keep MPI fueled cars close to ambient.

I’ve got the rest of the cooling package handled as well, just waiting on the shop I outsourced it to

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Interesting info. If you read through the Magic/Ebay intercooler thread you hear people saying Stock mount ICs out perform FMICs.

As for pressure drop, doesn't IE have a whole ad campaign around their engineering to have little to no pressure drop?

With no front sensors on my GSW, FMIC would be an easier install. Currently looking at the BMS stock mount IC as I plan to call it day at an IS20 swap, and maybe flex-fuel.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Food for thought, calling out people like DAP who claim direct replacement is superior;

Audi has the OEM intercooler up front where it belongs on everything but MQB...the sandwiched location is an economy car cost cutting technique (keep all Mqb the same, save money).

The same poor design is used on base golf, and all the VW SUV. They didn’t put it there because it was good for performance, it was a compromise decision.

My FMIC at 661 cubic inch core volume outperforms most direct replacements up to the point where the core volume/flow rate is overwhelmed (which only happens on cars with MPI fueled hybrids or full frame). For those guys there’s a bigger option, the V2 (which will require some bumper rebar trimming).

The original V2 prototype kept the 600whp R it’s on cool for hot lapped ten second passes last season, and will be back with around 700whp this year. Unfortunately that intercooler core was discontinued by the manufacturer, so it’s time to re start development with another core. At 808 cubic inches it’s substantially larger and will flow well enough to keep MPI fueled cars close to ambient.

I’ve got the rest of the cooling package handled as well, just waiting on the shop I outsourced it to

That’s the problem, that shopdap video. Lots of misinformation there. Considering how knowledgeable those cats are, I wonder if it was done on purpose.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
That’s the problem, that shopdap video. Lots of misinformation there. Considering how knowledgeable those cats are, I wonder if it was done on purpose.
Personally I'd look at logs. Mygolfmy7.com has some flow tests, and you can find others online.. but at the end of the day it's how the hunk of metal cools air so our ECU doesn't freak out and start pulling things.

Outside of Baun I haven't seen too many collections of logs on FMICs. I dug around a little bit ago when I was looking at the ARM FMIC as it was then the only "no mod required" OTS FMIC I could find for a decent price that wasn't ebay.

The Magic/Majesty guys have a pretty good collection of logs in their install thread. Other than the cutting/grinding to make it fit, it seems pretty solid as one of the Larger TMICs (1001in^3 I believe?). The high horsepower guys have some good logs with the IE, do88, Mishi and APR ICs.

Handful of posts on twinter-coolers, but most seem to shoot those down pretty quick.

I'm all for more info on an aux radiator. I know the early MK6 days most would toss on a FMIC and upgrade the stock radiator. Also waiting on more info for Bauns Radiator/Oil cooler combo.