GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Going Stage 2, prepping a clutch purchase...

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
I had my stock clutch replaced under warranty around 25k miles (now at 55k) because it shit the bed with stock power, I assumed the dealership did something when it was new since they were incompetent. That's beside the point though, I've been running Unitronic Stage 1+ for a year or two now with the new clutch and so far so good. I'm thinking I'll be ok at least for a few months with a stage 2 tune, but want to buy a clutch so I'm ready to go when this one does melt. This is all I'm looking at:

Stage 2 from Unitronic
Unitronic downpipe
TT RS clutch / Southbend / Sachs clutch

From what I've read, the TT RS clutch will be the closest thing to stock and have no chatter because of the flywheel, I daily drive this and sometimes traffic is garbage and I don't want something that's going to be a pain. Should I just go with the TT RS or look at the other two? I've read through a couple threads but they're all a few years old and I'm not sure if anything has changed recently.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I’m not picky about it, when idling you barely hear it. It occurs the most when you’re in first and roiling around a parking lot. I love how it engages. It’s a spectacular product. Mine is a stage 3 daily.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
My recommendation is to install stage 2 and see if it holds. I’m currently at 19,000 miles on stage 2 with the stock clutch and no issues. It seems that some people’s clutches fail at stock power level and some hold at stage 2 power.

berfles

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'16 GTI PP, 94 RX-7
My recommendation is to install stage 2 and see if it holds. I’m currently at 19,000 miles on stage 2 with the stock clutch and no issues. It seems that some people’s clutches fail at stock power level and some hold at stage 2 power.
Oh I was going to, it's fine so far and the stage 2 isn't really THAT much more torque, but I just want to have one in mind so if/when it does go I know exactly what I want and can get it fixed quick.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. It looks like the Southbend and TT RS are the same price.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Oh I was going to, it's fine so far and the stage 2 isn't really THAT much more torque, but I just want to have one in mind so if/when it does go I know exactly what I want and can get it fixed quick.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming. It looks like the Southbend and TT RS are the same price.

I’m between ordering these two clutches when mine starts to slip

https://www.maperformance.com/products/act-street-clutch-kit-2015-2017-vw-gti-golf-r-mk7-vw9-hdss

And this one also

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-south-b...ly-clutch-kit-with-steel-flywheel/kmk7fssokt/

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I’m not picky about it, when idling you barely hear it. It occurs the most when you’re in first and roiling around a parking lot. I love how it engages. It’s a spectacular product. Mine is a stage 3 daily.
My car has the SB stage 3 and sounds like a tractor.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I think some people are more sensitive to the noise than others. I was in a MK7 TDi before this, so I got used to tractor noises.

jstev

Car(s)
2017 GTI
I’m in the same boat still on the stock clutch with 51k miles and about 1 week into Unitronic 1+ tune so a new clutch is in my future. I also had a dog bone mount installed and nvh is very noticeable when rolling into 1st gear anyone else having the same issue? hoping the holding power of the upgraded clutch smooths this out but won’t be sure until I take that plunge