GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any fixes for the infamous b-pillar weld failure?

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have a 2017 sport, and shortly after buying it at 45k miles, I started noticing the popping noise get worse and worse in the passenger b pillar going over bumps with the chassis flexing and such. I mentioned this to a dealer I was at recently over a separate issue, and he said he'd heard of the issue, but because my car was out of the 30k warranty, i'd have to pay out of pocket for the inspection ($150) and presumably the repair as it's not been recalled yet.

Besides contacting VW of America and making a stink over it being a potential safety hazard, and it being realllllly annoying to live with, I'm sort of out of options. Any advice from you guys, or know of anyone who's gotten this remedied?

daymoon

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The only home fix I've found would be something similar to this
where you'd inject a more pliable glue mixture. The only problem being it has to be right on the weld for it to have any effect, and furthermore, if VW does decide to send out a recall, there's no way they'd want to work on something that was half assed fixed from a customer. Not to mention, you're playing around the curtain airbags.