GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DCC Retrofit

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I had comfort added to my gateway by the guys at VAG Retrofit & Coding. They are still working on getting the Driving Mode menu to popup on my infotainment but I get the indication for mode change in the cluster and on the top line of the infotainment screen. In Comfort it still allows for some body roll and it does a good job muting road imperfections. I haven't spent much time in Normal but it seems pretty close to Comfort. In Sport I can feel everything in the road and body roll is greatly reduced. I'll be in Comfort mode 99% of the time with the other 1% in Sport for canyon drives.

I changed my infotainment (bad unit) and lost my driving modes pop up. To get "driving modes" pop up menu I changed this line of adaptations code in 5F (infotainment) to active.

ENG122229-ENG117736-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-charisma_0x17"

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Gotcha, have the seller press the driving mode button and take a picture of the screen pops up. If it does not have DCC it will look like this...
IMG_20210206_122315_026.jpg

If it has DCC it will show at the top, like this...
IMG_20210206_123154_981.jpg

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I changed my infotainment (bad unit) and lost my driving modes pop up. To get "driving modes" pop up menu I changed this line of adaptations code in 5F (infotainment) to active.

I had already done that, based on your post from the thread about driving modes. The guys at VAG Retrofit & Coding believed it to be a parameterization issue in my MIB 2.5. I don't know what ended up being the exact problem but it did take another remote session with them to fix.

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)

If this adaptation channel is not active, you cannot change modes. Neither in the dashclock nor in the mib.

Moreover, this adaptation channel was already open on mib, and Cuzue's car can change driving profiles, but Cuzoe couldn't see that on the mib menu.

But eventually the problem was solved.

Last edited:

AWD4416

Ready to race!
So I've now got Modes, including Comfort. @AWD4416 do you know what value your rear left level sensor showed fully extended? And about what value it shows with the car sitting on the suspension? My rear stays stiff, no doubt due to that sensor. I'm thinking I'm going to replace it but I'd like to know what I should be seeing for values, granted that I'm torsion beam versus your IRS.
View attachment 202671View attachment 202672
That's awesome, might have to reach to the guys at VAG retrofits, I was trying to add it my self but I just couldn't figure out how to download the needed data from the gateway to modify it.

I'll jack up my GTI tomorrow and let you know the values of the rear sensor.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
@Cuzoe Here is the "Raw value" of the level sensors with the GTI off the ground.

Left Front - 66.43
Right Front - 36.87
Left Rear - 63.31

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to check mine again, rear still feels too stiff in Comfort. Now I can tell which mode I'm in as soon as I start driving. The difference between comfort and sport was super obvious from the start but now I can recognize all three.

Tangentially related, wife took her car for tire rotation and the service center pumped all four up to "best range" pressure of 45 PSI. Got in there and I was like why does this car feel like Sport Mode and have body roll 😂.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@Cuzoe @AWD4416

I'm attempting this retrofit this month and have all the parts for my R.

With regards to coding it feels like the forums have all pointed towards a list of known coding changes but then all convey this idea of "and other modules that expect DCC." Which did you find needed coding?

DCC CODING

Adding it

• Add 14 Wheel Dampening? Susp Electronics (Tick/Check Susp. Electronics from the CAN-Gateway.)
  • Tick/Check Bit 7 in Byte 27 of the ABS-module to allow the ESP to function. 0->1
  • 13 Front ACC for ESC off functionality?
  • 4B – Multifunction Module – What changes in here?
  • 5F Multimedia ?? Anything to change here?
  • 02 Transmission ?? Anything to change here?
  • 09 Central Electrics ?? Anything to change here?
  • 14 Multifunction Mode ?? Anything to change here?
  • 16 Steering Column ?? Anything to change here?
  • 17 Instruments/Dashboard ?? Anything to change here? Is this where the Comfort Select Appears ?
  • 19 Gateway ?? Anything to change here?
  • 22 Haldex AWD? ?? Anything to change here?
  • 23 Brakes ?? Anything to change here?
  • 44 Steering Assistance ?? Anything to change here?
  • 29, 39, D6 & D7 Xenon Headlights expecting DCC ?? Anything to change here?
  • Tick other?? Modules expecting DCC? Which are these?
Specific Module 14 exercises

• Component Protection? Remove CP
  • Flash to Correct version of Golf or Arteon if you want the slider?
  • Any knock on effects of an arteon flash on a performance golf setup? Is the profile specific to the car or is it just the features that are specific and the basic settings will determine the profile?
Calibrating it

• Car jacked up with wheels off the floor. Ignition on/Bonnet Open, Engine off
  • Go into 14 Susp Electronics
  • Enter security code 20103
  • Navigate to basic settings
  • Let it do it’s thing and you’re done?

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
That's awesome, might have to reach to the guys at VAG retrofits, I was trying to add it my self but I just couldn't figure out how to download the needed data from the gateway to modify it.

I'll jack up my GTI tomorrow and let you know the values of the rear sensor.
Even if you change the gateway data, you will have to give up one existing profile. Because each driving mode is controlled by swap code.

AWD4416

Ready to race!
@Cuzoe @AWD4416

I'm attempting this retrofit this month and have all the parts for my R.

With regards to coding it feels like the forums have all pointed towards a list of known coding changes but then all convey this idea of "and other modules that expect DCC." Which did you find needed coding?

DCC CODING

Adding it

• Add 14 Wheel Dampening? Susp Electronics (Tick/Check Susp. Electronics from the CAN-Gateway.)
  • Tick/Check Bit 7 in Byte 27 of the ABS-module to allow the ESP to function. 0->1
  • 13 Front ACC for ESC off functionality?
  • 4B – Multifunction Module – What changes in here?
  • 5F Multimedia ?? Anything to change here?
  • 02 Transmission ?? Anything to change here?
  • 09 Central Electrics ?? Anything to change here?
  • 14 Multifunction Mode ?? Anything to change here?
  • 16 Steering Column ?? Anything to change here?
  • 17 Instruments/Dashboard ?? Anything to change here? Is this where the Comfort Select Appears ?
  • 19 Gateway ?? Anything to change here?
  • 22 Haldex AWD? ?? Anything to change here?
  • 23 Brakes ?? Anything to change here?
  • 44 Steering Assistance ?? Anything to change here?
  • 29, 39, D6 & D7 Xenon Headlights expecting DCC ?? Anything to change here?
  • Tick other?? Modules expecting DCC? Which are these?
Specific Module 14 exercises

• Component Protection? Remove CP
  • Flash to Correct version of Golf or Arteon if you want the slider?
  • Any knock on effects of an arteon flash on a performance golf setup? Is the profile specific to the car or is it just the features that are specific and the basic settings will determine the profile?
Calibrating it

• Car jacked up with wheels off the floor. Ignition on/Bonnet Open, Engine off
  • Go into 14 Susp Electronics
  • Enter security code 20103
  • Navigate to basic settings
  • Let it do it’s thing and you’re done?
Going off memory here as I loaned out my OBDeleven which is easier to use than VCP or ODIS.

The major coding is the gateway to get it recognized by the CAN bus. Second is parameters and calibration. The next inline is the 4B module as you have to tell it that its getting the level sensor data from the DCC module. The rest is a straight forward process as in you see DCC on the module, just enable it. Just do a backup of your current configuration before doing any changes.

There is no CP on the DCC module, you just have to calibrated it to your car and load parameters (that last part needs ODIS or VCP). I used ODIS to calibrate it as it was a one push button type of thing. It can be done with VCP (there is a function for this, its like mk6 DCC calibration) and I think OBDeleven but not 100% sure.

From what I have learned about DCC, it really doesn't care what type of car you have. It just dampens based on the parameters loaded and your suspension travel. If you want the slider, just get a module from an Arteon, its revision C, then all you really need to do is load the proper parameters on the FPA (driver profile) on the gateway to activate the slider on the screen.

I highly recommend getting a coder to do this for you unless your like me and like to thinker with stuff. Also, DCC has a fail safe, so if you to all the manual labor without coding it, it should be ok to drive. I actually took a super sharp turn and somehow snapped a wire going to the front left sensor. DCC showed the fault and it just went to fail safe (obviously you cant change modes). When I realized the cable was snapped, i just added some slack and it was good to go.

Hope this helps and good luck on your retrofit, totally worth it.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
Going off memory here as I loaned out my OBDeleven which is easier to use than VCP or ODIS.

The major coding is the gateway to get it recognized by the CAN bus. Second is parameters and calibration. The next inline is the 4B module as you have to tell it that its getting the level sensor data from the DCC module. The rest is a straight forward process as in you see DCC on the module, just enable it. Just do a backup of your current configuration before doing any changes.

There is no CP on the DCC module, you just have to calibrated it to your car and load parameters (that last part needs ODIS or VCP). I used ODIS to calibrate it as it was a one push button type of thing. It can be done with VCP (there is a function for this, its like mk6 DCC calibration) and I think OBDeleven but not 100% sure.

From what I have learned about DCC, it really doesn't care what type of car you have. It just dampens based on the parameters loaded and your suspension travel. If you want the slider, just get a module from an Arteon, its revision C, then all you really need to do is load the proper parameters on the FPA (driver profile) on the gateway to activate the slider on the screen.

I highly recommend getting a coder to do this for you unless your like me and like to thinker with stuff. Also, DCC has a fail safe, so if you to all the manual labor without coding it, it should be ok to drive. I actually took a super sharp turn and somehow snapped a wire going to the front left sensor. DCC showed the fault and it just went to fail safe (obviously you cant change modes). When I realized the cable was snapped, i just added some slack and it was good to go.

Hope this helps and good luck on your retrofit, totally worth it.
Hey Again

Thanks so much for the information. Having to put off the install to the end of the month due to timings with the garage. I am indeed a "tinkerer." I've retrofitted a RVC highline and the Dynaudio before. I've got manual seat->electric memory seat plumbed in as well as active TPMS and blind spot plumbed in ready to code. DCC is in some ways so much more difficult and perhaps yet easier not having CP. My harness appears to skip the coupling points all together and is wired at a length specifically to go to each module instead. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Even if you change the gateway data, you will have to give up one existing profile. Because each driving mode is controlled by swap code.

@doctor - keen to know why we think this is? Having seen your social media, I don't doubt you know what you're talking about, but perhaps it's more out of intrigue as to why we think having 5 modes like you get from factory with DCC isn't possible in the retrofit? Does making any changes in 5F and 17 alleviate this issue?

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Hey Again

Thanks so much for the information. Having to put off the install to the end of the month due to timings with the garage. I am indeed a "tinkerer." I've retrofitted a RVC highline and the Dynaudio before. I've got manual seat->electric memory seat plumbed in as well as active TPMS and blind spot plumbed in ready to code. DCC is in some ways so much more difficult and perhaps yet easier not having CP. My harness appears to skip the coupling points all together and is wired at a length specifically to go to each module instead. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes.

@doctor - keen to know why we think this is? Having seen your social media, I don't doubt you know what you're talking about, but perhaps it's more out of intrigue as to why we think having 5 modes like you get from factory with DCC isn't possible in the retrofit? Does making any changes in 5F and 17 alleviate this issue?
I wish I could be that authoritative, the instagram account you see belongs to my friends.

I can explain it to you like this;

If even 1 driving profile is registered on the chassis number (factory), vw servers will see that when you enter the license key, it will see that the existing swap code is there and will give an error. The reason for this is to prevent the vehicle functions from being copied for another vehicle. And a new step in this regard was developed SFD for the mk8. VW already considers strict rules on retrofitting.
I hope it is clearly understand.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@doctor Hey I just thought I'd message before the coding begins :) If I already have driving mode select as a paid SWAP (Came with the car from factory Eco/Normal/Race/Individual) then I don't need the FEC/SWAP code to unlock comfort on DCC do I? Having reviewed the rosstech forum post by @Cuzoe , if the car already comes with drive select, modes don't have to be given up.

Let me know if you think I'm incorrect?

@AWD4416 Will send some photos soon!

Perhaps I've bit off more than i can chew building a memory seat, retrofitting it, retrofitting BSM, Active TPMS and DCC, but I'll let you know how it all goes.

doctor

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
@doctor Hey I just thought I'd message before the coding begins :) If I already have driving mode select as a paid SWAP (Came with the car from factory Eco/Normal/Race/Individual) then I don't need the FEC/SWAP code to unlock comfort on DCC do I? Having reviewed the rosstech forum post by @Cuzoe , if the car already comes with drive select, modes don't have to be given up.

Let me know if you think I'm incorrect?

@AWD4416 Will send some photos soon!

Perhaps I've bit off more than i can chew building a memory seat, retrofitting it, retrofitting BSM, Active TPMS and DCC, but I'll let you know how it all goes.
Unfortunately you need, because each mode is controlled by a different swap code.

jamstonmartames

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GOLF 7.5
@Cuzoe @doctor @AWD4416

DCC fun begins next week. Blind Spot Monitor, TPMS and a memory seat took forever and a day.

DCC module is plumbed into the CANs and Body Control and all fused up (without fuse in - risking parasitic draw)

Need to do a pokey hole through a few of the grommets to get the wires to the shocks. Any hints on this one? especially to avoid rainwater? All I've found so far is this : https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...mk7-golf/running-cables-through-the-firewall/

Coding attempt will be as follows:

Add Electronic Dampening 14 from gateway list.

Module 01 Engine​

Operating Mode Selection

Module 03 Brakes/ABS Long Coding​

ABS module Byte 27 Bit 7 is the "DCC Installed" bit.

Module 4b Long Coding​

Chassis Unit

Eco Mode - > Enabled ( perhaps get around the FPA by getting eco as a bonus mode here?)

Source Height Value ->BCM -> DCC

LWR Sensors

Steering Curve

Module 4b Adaptation​

Presentation Mode

Installation List -> Specified Installations -> ??

Module 5f Adaptations​

P damping display

Car Func List BAP Gen2 -> ENG122229-ENG117736-Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-charisma_0x17" >> Active

Car Func Adaptations Gen2 -> tbc

Car Func List CAN Gen2 -> tbc

DISPLAY 5F – Adaptation 10 – Air Suspension – ?? think this is only for super Audi's and bentley's.

Module 5f Long Coding?​

TBC

Module 09 Central Electrics (Suspected but not confirmed)​

The options in here are mainly in German but I’m pretty sure there may be an option in here to at least check.

Module 13 ACC Adaptations (Suspected but not confirmed)​

There are some modes in here for Race and Comfort. Don’t know if there is something to be changed in here?

Module 17 Dashboard​

Wheel Dampening Electronics - >Yes

Module 17 Dashboard Long Coding​

Adaptive Chassis Control -> Installed

Module 19 Gateway Adaptation​

Byte 12 Bit 7 and now DCC is visible in Individual selection.

Module 19 Gateway Long Coding​

FPA FunktionStuffenDCC -> Active

FahrProfilAuswahl ->Driving profile Selection

BCME Komforte Reichweite -> Comfort range

Module 44 Steering Assistance​

Wheel Dampening Electronics ->Active

Module 20 High Beam + 55 Xenon Headlights​

The headlights will have previously been getting their positioning exclusively based on the rear level sensor G76 so we’ll need to code it so that they get their message from DCC from now on. This will be done in Module 4B . 20 or 55 which I don’t seem to have but definitely have bi-xenons ??
55 - Headlight range control unit, disable byte 1 bit 3, this makes the leveling sensor info to come through CAN and not via direct sensor connection

19 CANT GATEWAY - BINGO! Byte 12 Bit 7 and now DCC is visible in Individual selection.

@doctor So i came across a 19 Gateway blockmap which I think re-enforces your theory on FPA profiles ! see below from another vehicle online:

IDE07873-MAS06193FPA enabled profiles-Profile 1Comfort
IDE07873-MAS06194FPA enabled profiles-Profile 2AUTO
IDE07873-MAS06195FPA enabled profiles-Profile 3Not Used
IDE07873-MAS06196FPA enabled profiles-Profile 4Not Used
IDE07873-MAS06197FPA enabled profiles-Profile 5ECONOMY
IDE07873-MAS06198FPA enabled profiles-Profile 6RACE
IDE07873-MAS06199FPA enabled profiles-Profile 7INDIVIDUAL
IDE07873-MAS06200FPA enabled profiles-Profile 8Not Used
IDE07873-MAS08875FPA enabled profiles-Profile 9Not Used
IDE07873-MAS08876FPA enabled profiles-Profile 10Not Used
IDE07873-MAS08877FPA enabled profiles-Profile 11Not Used
IDE07873-MAS08878FPA enabled profiles-Profile 12Not Used