GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R needs a clutch, replace anything else while it's in the shop?

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I wouldn't say that a RMS that isn't leaking is necessarily "good". It's just a thin piece of rubber and, like all rubber parts, it degrades over time. It's certainly possible that it will never degrade to the point that it leaks, but given how hard it is to get to, and how inexpensive the part is, I think the cost/benefit heavily weighs in favor of replacement. For what it's worth, I replaced mine at 90k (with the clutch) and it wasn't leaking at all but the rubber absolutely wasn't as pliable as the one that came out of my father's R which had about half as many miles. The seal in the iABED kit is an objectively better part—it's made of higher quality rubber—and I don't see how this is the kind of part that I'd worry about breaking the factory seal (ha) on. But, reasonable minds can disagree.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The iabed seal should only leak if it's installed incorrectly.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I just did my clutch and had the iabed RMS put in. Made sense to do it while doing the clutch.

TwinSnails

Ready to race!
Car(s)
B5 S4 Avant, Mk7 R
Following up on this real quick to show why I needed a new clutch. The pressure plate cracked into 3 pieces after doing a light launch at around 4K. It’s a southbend kit so I’m pretty surprised to see this happen. Not sure how many miles we’re on it but couldn’t be more than 50k.

0E0C4E54-56D9-451C-8749-A31CC5B522ED.jpeg

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
Holy crap is right, I'd never even heard of something like that happening before.
that's 'impressive' lol, never seen that. did you say it was a Southbend Kit that did that???

I just got my clutch done and did RMS and throw out bearing. I just used the stock one, not worth going with the iAbed. Also I did the thrust bearing 'fix' - as the only shop it seems in North America, happens to be the 10 minutes from my house. I kept the OEM DMF, so I don't anticipate a thrust bearing failure period anymore. That I think should be the biggest concern IMO

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
BTW the Apr catch can does nothing to alleviate RMS issues as you still have the stock PCV valve, the catch can just sits inline between the PCV and turbo inlet.

The only PCV systems that fix this are ones that fully replace the entire PCV valve, such as Spluuen and VWR.

If you look at how the stock PCV systems work on these cars, an inline catch can is a waste of money and will do practically nothing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
BTW the Apr catch can does nothing to alleviate RMS issues as you still have the stock PCV valve, the catch can just sits inline between the PCV and turbo inlet.

The only PCV systems that fix this are ones that fully replace the entire PCV valve, such as Spluuen and VWR.

If you look at how the stock PCV systems work on these cars, an inline catch can is a waste of money and will do practically nothing.
You're correct. It won't catch a single drop of anything without replacing the PCV. I used the same brand of OCC that I used on my previous car and the first time I unscrewed it to empty it, it was as shiny as new inside. Never had a GTI before.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You're correct. It won't catch a single drop of anything without replacing the PCV. I used the same brand of OCC that I used on my previous car and the first time I unscrewed it to empty it, it was as shiny as new inside. Never had a GTI before.
Not true.

And you know it.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not true.

And you know it.
It was absolutely true. I plumbed the OCC the same way I did on my Veloster Turbo only to find out I had to get an OCC that replaced the PCV valve to function properly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It was absolutely true. I plumbed the OCC the same way I did on my Veloster Turbo only to find out I had to get an OCC that replaced the PCV valve to function properly.
Again, this has been explained to you repeatedly. The reason street driven mk7's with factory pcv don't show oil in the cc is because the pcv in the mk7 works very well in normal conditions.

Those of us that track with factory pcv do get oil in the cc, under hard cornering with 200tw or less tires.

You get oil in your cc on the street BECAUSE you removed the very effective factory pcv.

This is so simple to understand, but this is at least the 5th time I've had to correct you.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Again, this has been explained to you repeatedly. The reason street driven mk7's with factory pcv don't show oil in the cc is because the pcv in the mk7 works very well.

Those of us that track with factory pcv do get oil in the cc, under hard cornering with 200tw or less tires.

You get oil in your cc on the street BECAUSE you removed the very effective factory pcv.
It's very simple. If you don't get an OCC like the Spulen that replaces the PCV nothing will go into a catch can. And I'm not talking about oil from hard cornering when racing I'm talking about blowby combustion that gets past the piston rings into the crankcase. I had installed the Add W1 OCC and it was plumbed per the directions like it was on my Veloster Turbo and there wasn't a drop of anything in it after 4000 miles. I asked the installer why and was told I had to have an OCC system that replaced the PCV valve. I asked why they didn't tell me that when they installed the Add W1 and they said they just installed what I asked them to. Needless to say I never went to that place again.