GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tire setup for new GTI/Golf R

ak22

Car(s)
2020 GTI
I have a Golf R and have been having MAJOR issues with 19' tires. I hit a pothole and low profile tires push and bubble to sidewall. What are the best tires to avoid this issue? I also would aks the same on GTI as my son want's a new one and I do not want to have tire issues with the new GTI?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
GTIs come with 18’s, I had 3 GTIs over 7 years and only had 2 sidewall bubbles, driving around Philly. 18’s with 45 sidewalls are gonna give decent protection without losing much performance.

17’s are the best though, for comfort vs performance. 17’s with a 45 sidewall ride like butter and take potholes much better

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’d switch to 18s and Michelin Allseason 4 tires.

Great all around tires several of us on these forums are running.

Being in Cali you can probably get away with Michelin PSS4 Summer tires, but you’ll have to be honest with yourself on how you use the car (summer tires don’t like temperatures below 50*F)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had 19" and 18" Pretorias back to back on my 2016 GTI.

19" wheels looked great but I was going to damage them anytime with terrible roads in MI. I switched to 18" Pretorias within a couple of weeks and was happy with the setup. Even though 18" wheels were not as aggressive looking as the 19", i didnt want to go through the hassle of damaging 19" wheels and replacing them. I had Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires on both wheels.

I have the same 18" Pretorias in my 2019 and dont foresee any major issues in my road conditions.

Jantriis02

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I've had the GTI for almost 2 years now, and I've had amazing luck with 18's and tire sizes 225/40R18. This is the standard fit for the tires on the 2017, and so far no issues.

As for brands of tires, I use Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. absolute trash in the winter, but summer performance is pretty great for the money.

Hope this helps

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
I’m running 235/40/18 Michelin PSAS4’s and they’re running great. Had multiple night canyon runs and really early angeles crest runs and loving them.

ak22

Car(s)
2020 GTI
Awesome good to know. Thanks for all the advice. It's really been frustrating with the 19s 4 tires in 2 years. I will check the 18's and see how that goes

Wade_GT

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'17 GTI S 6M
Where in LA are the roads that bad?
Only places within the county lines.. jokes aside, San Fernando Valley is pretty terrible. Even hwy 101 and 405 magically become smooth once you reach Ventura County or Orange County.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Only places within the county lines.. jokes aside, San Fernando Valley is pretty terrible. Even hwy 101 and 405 magically become smooth once you reach Ventura County or Orange County.

Really? I take the 5 to 405 from Santa Clarita to Santa Monica pretty frequently...those sections are pretty smooth. There are a couple dips on the 405N around the Van Nuys exit...other than that..it's pretty good. There used to be a rough section of the carpool lane coming down the Sepulveda Pass on the 405S...but that has been fixed a while ago. The 101 section from the 405 to the 23 seems fine too.

Only places that I've been to where its really choppy is in DTLA. You gotta watch out for them raised manhole covers and potholes.

Bad roads in "LA" does not hold a candle to the bad roads in NJ.

ak22

Car(s)
2020 GTI
I am in the Valley btw. The 101 N to ventura In Camarillo has a few spotty section especially east bound lanes. And 19's on the R are not worth it.

Joe K

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE Manual
Hey all - just joining in, if you guys are still there. I just put the Michelin Pilot A/S 4s on my 2019 GTI SE Manual. For general driving, up to about 80% they are great. But, I find the turn-in and response to be poor, particularly when pushing it in tight back/forth turns. its to the point where I lose a bit of control, so am cautious. I came from Pirelli touring tires, which were more responsive, but traction was terrible. Any similar experience? Any suggestions? If I turn them in as unsatisfied, I see a lot of drivers here happily use the Conti extreme contact A/S tires.