GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Consolidated Macan Brembo upgrade thread (READ FIRST POST)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I hope you are not ironic :) because I made up my mind to go for them. I just need to decide if I'll go CR4 312mm or FS6 340mm
Not being sarcastic at all. Do the 340. Let us know how you like them.

Last edited:

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
now it will look like I'm promoting them or have some sort of affiliation :)
https://www.prodigywerks.com/audia3-vwgolf

Just wondering, how is this cheaper than the Macan setup?

I paid:

$513 for calipers
$61 for lines
$115 for pads
$20 for paint
$20 for grease

Total is $730. You could spend another $170 and get some baller pads for close to $300 if you wanted to. I was also under the impression that the Brembo calipers have far more pad options and rebuild kit options, like when I tore a dust seal I was able to buy another set for $15 on Amazon.

StefanV

Pad options can be a valid point. I plan to ask Gabe from Prodigy Werks, after I decide upon the CR4/FS6 dilema, which OEM pad pattern they used, because I'm sure they adhered to something existing and popular.
Rebuild parts I expect to be pretty generic... same 38mm pistons in all calipers that use 38mm piston, same seals, dust shields etc. Block calipers are really simple devices, way simpler than sliding ones.

I wasn't implying that prodigy werks is cheaper. I was casted away from Macan when I saw some comments (some pages behind) about the mushy pedal feel. Then I did the math and indeed the pistons surface area indicate towards that route. So it's not about cost but more about suitability. Being an ex owner of Megane RS275 (modded to use 355mm fully floating J hook rotors, rubbed by true race pads Pagid RS29) and current owner of a GR Yaris (divine braking system), to me pedal feel is everything. I also owned twice as expensive cars like BMW M2 which pedal feel was kind of meh.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
Pad options can be a valid point. I plan to ask Gabe from Prodigy Werks, after I decide upon the CR4/FS6 dilema, which OEM pad pattern they used, because I'm sure they adhered to something existing and popular.
Rebuild parts I expect to be pretty generic... same 38mm pistons in all calipers that use 38mm piston, same seals, dust shields etc. Block calipers are really simple devices, way simpler than sliding ones.

I wasn't implying that prodigy werks is cheaper. I was casted away from Macan when I saw some comments (some pages behind) about the mushy pedal feel. Then I did the math and indeed the pistons surface area indicate towards that route. So it's not about cost but more about suitability. Being an ex owner of Megane RS275 (modded to use 355mm fully floating J hook rotors, rubbed by true race pads Pagid RS29) and current owner of a GR Yaris (divine braking system), to me pedal feel is everything. I also owned twice as expensive cars like BMW M2 which pedal feel was kind of meh.

Fair enough, let us know how that goes! I'm coming from the 272 mm front/ 253 mm rear rotors so I'm hoping I have a low bar to clear. If needed I'll do the RPV mod and see how that goes.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I started the thread, but I'm not bothered by discussing other options at all.

I'm really interest in your thoughts on their ducting solution.

bdollazzz

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Tornado Red GTI
I guess being not convinced I was thinking out loud. And I still do :) considering this a flawed kit and it kind of reminds of a time a few years ago when people were fitting Cayenne/Touareg calipers to GTIs, "downgrading" their braking system for the sake of BBK mirage.
I think I'll go the Prodigy Werks route....
I think I am going to go the Prodigy route as well, kit comes with everything needed for an unbeatable price.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I should really create an MQB BBK thread, more specifically one focused on BBK that utilize OEM rotors. I'm personally running ProdigyWerks CR4 312x25 kit on my DD GSW4Mo. The CR4s have been installed for a little over a year and roughly 30,000 miles. Pad coating material can be a little snug (looking at you EBC) and the retention pins take some force to seat 100%; other than that I've experienced zero issues. They are a massive improvement over the stock brakes. I feel like these calipers should be an OE option. My setup only cost about $650 all in!

ProdigyWerks kits are very affordable and their customer support team is super responsive. They offer a lot of applications not listed on their website, and will send various fitment templates upon request. Facebook messaging seemed to be the best avenue for communication. For the MQB platform they offer:
CR4 - 288x25 and 312x25 OEM rotors, both clear 16" depending on barrel
FS6 - 340x30 OEM rotors, optional ducts/scoops, tight 17" fitment
FS6 - 330x32 and 356x32 proprietary 2 piece rotors, optional ducts/scoops
FS6 Ti - Titanium versions of standard FS6
FC4 - 340x30 OEM rotors
FC4 - 330x32 proprietary 2 piece rotors
Rear - 350x22 for PP/R caliper proprietary 2 piece rotors (ROW electronic handbrake, unsure about NAR manual handbrake)

-I'm not affiliated with ProdigyWerks in any way. I'm just very pleased with their product!
View attachment 202974

That stance and overall look is my goal. I love the 17" wheels with the big calipers stuffed underneath.

blinky814

Car(s)
2016 GTI
I recently completed my Macan caliper swap, and i just want to thank GTIfan99 for the initial info, and everyone else who contributed to this thread. Also id like to thank emichel888 for the info on the RPV set up, I love the way the brakes feel and i recommend everyone do the RPV mod that he so graciously shared with us. I also just wanted to share a bit of information that i discovered while i was doing the swap. Mainly my concern was the limited amount of wheels that seemed to fit. I used the caliper template that was included in this thread, but i found it to be massive compared to the actual size/ profile of the caliper itself. So, this led me to start taking some measurements. What i found is that the template included here is in fact way too big and does not match the actual shape of the caliper. I also wanted to confirm and make sure my eyes weren't lying to me while reading these measurements on the caliper mounted on the car, so i picked up one of those contour gauges off amazon, and i basically got the shape of the caliper and rotor and compared to my measurements. it was the same. so, i went to the drawing board to create a more accurate template so i could confirm the wheel/caliper clearance. As you can see in the pics, the template that i made gives about 7mm of additional clearance to the spokes and about 25mm of extra barrel clearance. I have included the template here for everyone to use, and i feel this will give us with this swap a better wheel selection when emailing wheel companies to see if they will clear our brakes. I did this template with rulers, digital calipers and a contour gauge and a vector drawing program, so the measurements may be off by a mm or two, but i think this will give us a better idea of caliper/wheel clearance in the future. Please let me know what yall think and I'm open to constructive criticism as well. Thanks! Also, this is my first time posting on a forum in about 10 years, so let me know if my pictures are messed up or need to be uploaded again in a different format. make sure when you print the template, the scale is set to 100%. The measurement box is there to verify the scale when printed.

EDIT: I noticed that the top of the caliper is not the same radius as the center, so I've adjusted the template to reflect the approximate height of the caliper now and have attached the new one. Even with this correction, still shorter and more accurate than the original template here on page 1. keep in mind, this is all approximates and the template may be off slightly, so do your own measurements as well!

IMG-1911.jpgIMG-1914.jpgIMG-1915.jpg

Attachments

• macan caliper orig1.jpg
    macan caliper orig1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

B1mmer

Ready to race!
I too want to thank GTIfan99 and emichel888 for all the incredibly useful information in this thread. I bought all of the parts for this and will be doing my install this weekend. I’m doing this on a STH prepped ‘16 Audi TT. I also had a ‘19 GTI Rabbit Edition, but sadly it was bought back by VW due to the 6 speed stalling issue.

For blinky814, how did you paint your calipers? G2 kit and Brembo sticker kit? They came out great. I bought the G2 kit and high temp stickers and after going with new Macan calipers, I was hesitant to paint them, but you may have swayed me if that is what you used.

While I don’t think these are needed at all for autocross, my planning is for One Lap of America in the TT for 2022. - AB

blinky814

Car(s)
2016 GTI
I too want to thank GTIfan99 and emichel888 for all the incredibly useful information in this thread. I bought all of the parts for this and will be doing my install this weekend. I’m doing this on a STH prepped ‘16 Audi TT. I also had a ‘19 GTI Rabbit Edition, but sadly it was bought back by VW due to the 6 speed stalling issue.

For blinky814, how did you paint your calipers? G2 kit and Brembo sticker kit? They came out great. I bought the G2 kit and high temp stickers and after going with new Macan calipers, I was hesitant to paint them, but you may have swayed me if that is what you used.

while I don’t think these are needed at all for autocross, my planning is for One Lap of America in the TT for 2022. - AB
I actually sent them to a friend of mine in NC who does Cerakote, and he did them in Stoplight red, high temp Cerakote. the Brembo logo is actually cerakote as well. He first layed down white base coat, applied the brembo stencil, and then red, peeled the stencil off, then finished them off with about 6 coats of hi-temp Cerakote. I know people have had good luck with the G2 paint, and just some vinyl stickers. Thats what i was originally going to do, but then my buddy offered to do the calipers for a good price, so i went with him.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
I'm going to paint mine with por15 caliper paint and stick some ebay stickers on. As long as it protects the caliper from corrosion I'm not too worried what it'll look like behind a wheel.

B1mmer

Ready to race!
I actually sent them to a friend of mine in NC who does Cerakote, and he did them in Stoplight red, high temp Cerakote. the Brembo logo is actually cerakote as well. He first layed down white base coat, applied the brembo stencil, and then red, peeled the stencil off, then finished them off with about 6 coats of hi-temp Cerakote. I know people have had good luck with the G2 paint, and just some vinyl stickers. Thats what i was originally going to do, but then my buddy offered to do the calipers for a good price, so i went with him.
Where in NC? I’m in the Charlotte area. - AB