GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cat backs -2

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I think this is the right place to post this.
APR or Milltek? 2017 R with catted Dp res delete stock muffler. Looking at these 2 resonated - valved systems and they seem pretty much the same. Just wondering if there’s a reasonable difference between the 2 before I pull the trigger. They are both probably louder than my current setup.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Always found Milltek to sound slightly tinny and their build quality was dreadful a few years ago. Not sure if they have changed their game now.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Ever looked at AWE?
Yes, the Switch path looks high quality and sounds on par with the others. But I see no separate AWE resonator available for that one? They offer a resonated dp, but I already have one installed-catted Trackslag. I want a res, so it would be more $$.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I found the APR exhaust was too loud when combined with their catted downpipe

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
I found the APR exhaust was too loud when combined with their catted downpipe
Too loud for the neighbors, or for your liking? What was your solution? I personally like it loud Af with flames and raw fuel, however, I am considerate of my neighbors and also leave for work at 5am. So, a dual-personality setup is kind of where I am going with a lean towards spicy. Raw fuel and flames can a bit old too for a daily driver.

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
Both. Even with the valves closed it was annoyingly loud. I'm not a teenager anymore... I put the stock catback on and it's a perfect OEM+ sound

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
I just swapped from a AWE Switchpath to a valved APR and I really like it. Sounds pretty tame even with an IE downpipe.

HuntR

Go Kart Newbie
Both. Even with the valves closed it was annoyingly loud. I'm not a teenager anymore... I put the stock catback on and it's a perfect OEM+ sound
I understand, I'm certainly no teenager anymore either. It's probably impossible to really know unless I put one of these on. Current setup is ok, but I need the drama I guess-for how long who knows.

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
Last edited:

docwyte

Go Kart Champion
I understand, I'm certainly no teenager anymore either. It's probably impossible to really know unless I put one of these on. Current setup is ok, but I need the drama I guess-for how long who knows.
With the stock downpipe the exhaust was perfect, maybe even a little quiet. With the downpipe, forget about it. WAY louder and annoying on the freeway, even with the valves closed.

fuelforfire87

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
When I bought my R from Carvana I was surprised to find out that it had the APR valved catback installed. I still have the stock downpipe but to me it sounds really good, and no drone. Had I not checked under the car while inspecting it I probably wouldn't have known it had an aftermarket exhaust. Interesting that people are saying it is too loud with a downpipe. Perhaps I'll be going with the Cobb downpipe when the time comes since it has a resonated section, just to be safe.